Golf?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
letsgodeacs99

New

Golf?

Postby letsgodeacs99 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Slightly random question:

Is knowing how to golf of any importance in the legal field, especially in terms of networking? A lot of people I know have suggested that "a lot of deals are made on the golf course" and I was wondering if there was any truth to this statement.

Mullens

Silver

Re: Golf?

Postby Mullens » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:10 pm

Deals might be made by the clients but the lawyers aren’t out there papering them.

Mokosc

New

Postby Mokosc » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:25 am

letsgodeacs99 wrote:Slightly random question:

Is knowing how to golf of any importance in the legal field, especially in terms of networking? A lot of people I know have suggested that "a lot of deals are made on the golf course" and I was wondering if there was any truth to this statement.

The statement is accurate but that shouldnt be all the motivation. Golf is a fun :D

diatribe

New

Postby diatribe » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:02 pm

To best answer this question, consider these two questions:

(1) what kinds of people like golf?
(2) what kinds of people have been traditionally successful and wealthy?

The answer to both questions is "white males".

Obviously there are a lot of successful women now, just as there are a lot of successful minorities, but still look at biglaw and it's not quite yet a melting pot.

To answer your question, golf is not required. What is required is being good at networking and socializing generally. If you and your clients like golf, yes you play golf. If you and your clients like going to dinner, you go to dinner. Golf is only traditionally important in the same way white men have traditionally dominated success. The more that changes, the more the type of schmoozing will change.

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:45 am

letsgodeacs99 wrote:Slightly random question:

Honest question, who has time to play golf as a business function anymore? It is a limited sample size, but even the most golf crazed lawyers I know consider themselves lucky to fit in one round a month with friends. The only attorneys I know that golf regularly are retired or semi-retired. I'm not saying it doesn't happen on occasion, but I don't think that a lack of golf proficiency will hold you back in any way.

minnbills

Gold

Postby minnbills » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:45 am

FWIW an attorney I know credits her lack of golfing ability as part of why she didn't make partner. She said golfing was an important part of client development that she couldn't take part in.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:57 pm

I've been practicing for almost 10 years and have never played a round of non put-put golf in my life, nor has golf ever been suggested by or to me as a client or outside counsel.

That being said, I'm sure there are certain clients and certain lawyers who have bonded on the golf course. My impression is that the more hectic pace today and emphasis on the billable hour has caused golf meetings to take less importance than they used to. Few lawyers have the luxury of hours-long networking activities during the day.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate?