Dog? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TedBuckland

Bronze

Dog?

Post by TedBuckland » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:32 am

Ok so I will be a 1L this fall and wondering about how feasible it is to have a dog during law school. Some things to note: I know this depends pretty heavily on where I go to school which isn't set yet, I don't currently have a dog but have been looking to adopt one for some time now, it would not be a puppy, I've had a dog previously and am aware of the responsibility and time that goes with it (the only reason I don't have one now is because, until recently, I wouldn't have had the time and it would be unfair to the dog).

So, I'm accepting all thoughts on the proposition of adopting a grown dog now-ish, and having that dog for about 7 months before going to school. Thanks.

JamesBlahDeBlah

Bronze

Re: Dog?

Post by JamesBlahDeBlah » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:39 am

Don't get a dog right before a major life change. The time to get a dog is when you have an established stable life and can accurately understand how that commitment will change things.
Last edited by JamesBlahDeBlah on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vwhorley

New

Post by vwhorley » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:51 am

TedBuckland wrote:Ok so I will be a 1L this fall and wondering about how feasible it is to have a dog during law school. Some things to note: I know this depends pretty heavily on where I go to school which isn't set yet, I don't currently have a dog but have been looking to adopt one for some time now, it would not be a puppy, I've had a dog previously and am aware of the responsibility and time that goes with it (the only reason I don't have one now is because, until recently, I wouldn't have had the time and it would be unfair to the dog).

So, I'm accepting all thoughts on the proposition of adopting a grown dog now-ish, and having that dog for about 7 months before going to school. Thanks.
I am also a 0L, but I have a dog and I think it's a perfectly fine idea. If you adopt an older dog they will be happy to snooze most of the day and it will force you to exercise a bit. Plus the mental health benefits of having a dog during a stressful time are incredible. Just make sure it wouldn't be a housing issue/you have savings to cover any surprise health issues. You've had a dog before, so you know if you can do it. Plus there are so many older dogs in shelters who are looking for loving homes- I think you have the right idea.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:39 pm

I think it's a bad idea, unless you have a stable apartment that allows pets and you are willing to sacrifice time you would spend physically at law school to get home to your dog and attend to his or her needs. Some people don't have a problem with that and try to not be at campus longer than a "work day," but sometimes that isn't so feasible, such as when you're doing competitions (mock trial, moot court) or other events/work that requires you to be there late.

If you have a stable pet friendly apartment that is close to campus and the dog you get has no issues with separation anxiety or being alone generally during the day, maybe. But those are all major factors that are difficult to line up, especially when adopting a shelter dog.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:35 pm

I have a dog as a 1L (check the profile picture), but I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone else unless they know what they are getting into. I pay for walks during my class days which come out to hundreds per month, on top of the time he commands and other expenses. In general I am so glad that I have him because he relieves my stress, but don't do it unless you know that you can handle it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:49 pm

Wait until 2L. Your 1L schedule will be much more hectic and rigid. Very easy to get a dog during 2/3L when your acclimated to law school and have more control over your schedule.

If you already had the dog then I’d say nbd since you would understand if your dog could handle it better

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:57 pm

I agree with the idea that you should wait until 2L. Also, the school/location plays a big role in my opinion. Everyone here in Austin has a dog and it doesn't hinder students with them from my observations. Other cities in the north, colder cities, etc. could present a larger problem

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:14 pm

So, if I have an established dog, and have worked through the separation anxiety, and have him well crate-trained, we should be okay? (Especially since I'm probably landing below the Mason-Dixon line.)
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:27 pm

wmbuff wrote:So, if I have an established dog, and have worked through the separation anxiety, and have him well crate-trained, we should be okay? (Especially since I'm probably landing below the Mason-Dixon line.)
Probably. Have you moved cross country before? Moves are stressful for animals and there can be an adaptation period (or new maladaptive behaviors might crop up.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:39 pm

mcmand wrote:
wmbuff wrote:So, if I have an established dog, and have worked through the separation anxiety, and have him well crate-trained, we should be okay? (Especially since I'm probably landing below the Mason-Dixon line.)
Probably. Have you moved cross country before? Moves are stressful for animals and there can be an adaptation period (or new maladaptive behaviors might crop up.)
We've moved to a totally different situation across state lines (about four hours away). He took that in stride.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:04 pm

wmbuff wrote:
mcmand wrote:
We've moved to a totally different situation across state lines (about four hours away). He took that in stride.
Then he's probably fine.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:06 pm

Every dog is different, but my dog was fine moving from DC to NYC.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Can we turn this thread into one where we share pics of our dogs? Because that would really make my week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:20 pm

mcmand wrote:Can we turn this thread into one where we share pics of our dogs? Because that would really make my week.
Dude! How have you missed this thread?
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... lit=Pepito

(Everyone go there and post dog pics. A MOD COMMANDS IT.)

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:02 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
mcmand wrote:Can we turn this thread into one where we share pics of our dogs? Because that would really make my week.
Dude! How have you missed this thread?
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... lit=Pepito

(Everyone go there and post dog pics. A MOD COMMANDS IT.)
As requested, I've posted one of my favorite pictures of Banjo.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:37 pm

Another 1L with a dog here. It only works for me because I have a partner who is home all day and basically does all dog-related tasks for me (I'm a terrible dog mom :( ). If you don't have a partner/roommate (non-law student) who can help you out, I would strongly advise against it (unless you live literally next to your law school or something).

Teacher

New

Post by Teacher » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:10 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
This is my dog too. He is my favorite thing in the whole world and I don’t think I could make it through law school without him!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:37 pm

jjcorvino wrote:I have a dog as a 1L (check the profile picture), but I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone else unless they know what they are getting into. I pay for walks during my class days which come out to hundreds per month, on top of the time he commands and other expenses. In general I am so glad that I have him because he relieves my stress, but don't do it unless you know that you can handle it.

I also have a heeler mix! I feel very similarly to you. I love that I have my dog because we do dog sports and thats my hobby, but she costs a lot and she needs a ton of attention, so I wouldnt get one if you dont really know what youre getting into.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:55 pm

snarfing wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:I have a dog as a 1L (check the profile picture), but I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone else unless they know what they are getting into. I pay for walks during my class days which come out to hundreds per month, on top of the time he commands and other expenses. In general I am so glad that I have him because he relieves my stress, but don't do it unless you know that you can handle it.

I also have a heeler mix! I feel very similarly to you. I love that I have my dog because we do dog sports and thats my hobby, but she costs a lot and she needs a ton of attention, so I wouldnt get one if you dont really know what youre getting into.
Check the link I posted in the thread Nony linked for a picture of my heeler power sliding under a sheep.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:14 pm

wmbuff wrote:
Check the link I posted in the thread Nony linked for a picture of my heeler power sliding under a sheep.
sweet! I have no pictures of my dog in an action shot because I suck at taking pictures. I posted some of her just existing. I do have some of her doing nosework but it just looks like shes staring at something, not terribly exciting. We're on a break from agility because she needed knee surgery :(

wmbuff

Bronze

Removed post...

Post by wmbuff » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:45 pm

Removed post...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigTex1980

New

Post by BigTex1980 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:56 pm

Get a cat.

dogger

New

Post by dogger » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:53 pm

I know 1Ls that have dogs; it seems more common for 2Ls and 3Ls. It's definitely feasible, but you will probably just need a house or big apartment. I'd also recommend schools with a lot of open land like Duke and UVA.

DKM

New

Post by DKM » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:33 pm

Get a goldfish

BigTex1980

New

Post by BigTex1980 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:31 pm

DKM wrote:Get a goldfish
And feed it to the cat.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?