Emory 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
floatie

Silver

Emory 1L taking questions

Post by floatie » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:59 pm

Classes don't start for another week, so I'm happy to take questions!

AaronCarter

Bronze

Re: Emory 1L taking questions

Post by AaronCarter » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:05 am

what are your goals?
Why Emory?/how's the culture?
are you going on scholarship?

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:58 am

AaronCarter wrote:what are your goals?
Why Emory?/how's the culture?
are you going on scholarship?
1. Public interest (state/fed gov, ideally)
2. I picked Emory because 1) they were the highest-ranked school to give me the most money; 2) I am perfectly happy being in Atlanta; 3) the faculty are top-notch an extremely accessible; 4) Emory is particularly strong in the practice area where I'm interested. Compared to other law schools I've visited and what I've heard from undergrad friends, Emory is an extremely laid-back school with a strong community feel. Sure, during finals some of the 1Ls got neurotic, but you'll find that everywhere and overall everyone I've met has been very friendly and willing to help their peers.
3. Yes, I have a near-full ride and I'll be able to graduate without loans.

ChutzpahSaxa15

New

Post by ChutzpahSaxa15 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:32 pm

What's your impression of how successfully Emory places its grads in DC govt/PI jobs?

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:05 pm

ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:What's your impression of how successfully Emory places its grads in DC govt/PI jobs?
Many of my 2L/3L peers who wanted DC government/PI got it, but I don't know how much of that can be directly attributed to Emory (there are a few people here who came from government jobs, and are going back once they graduate). There are a couple students each year who land positions through DOJ Honors (mostly EOIR, since immigration law is a really big area for Emory/Atlanta). If you're looking for an exact number, it might be lower than you would hope for, but some of that has to do with the smaller population of students who want to go to DC after they graduate - the vast majority of my classmates either want to stay in Atlanta or go to New York.

Basically, I don't think the "Emory Law" name alone is going to catapult you straight into a BigFed job, but it certainly won't hold you back and you'll find plenty of alumni who are working in DC fedgov/PI that you can connect with. If you want to get a 1L internship with a federal agency and you have relevant experience and/or a demonstrated interest, it is certainly possible. There are also a lot (and I mean a LOT) of 1Ls who work for the federal agency offices in Atlanta, and some people use that as a springboard to DC or another desired market. Atlanta is the "southern headquarters" for a lot of federal agencies, and since Emory is hands down the best law school in Georgia and there is much less competition for Atlanta fedgov internships, it's fairly easy to get them. Emory has a Public Interest Career Fair every February, and a lot of the Atlanta fedgov offices send recruiters. You also have the option of externing with fedgov agencies in Atlanta during Fall/Spring semester (DOJ EOIR, EEOC, HHS, CDC, and a couple others).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”