Current Fordham 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AaronCarter

Bronze

Re: Current Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Post by AaronCarter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:43 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Trying to stay distracted to avoid thinking about my exams and first semester grades. Ask away and I’ll do my best to answer!
Hey! I had another question. As an AA URM w/ a ~3.9 gpa what LSAT score would get me admitted? What LSAT score would I likely need to get some $$?

Not a whole lot on mylsn and wondering if you had any idea?
if you get a 165, they'll likely make it rain on you.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:52 am

AaronCarter wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Trying to stay distracted to avoid thinking about my exams and first semester grades. Ask away and I’ll do my best to answer!
Hey! I had another question. As an AA URM w/ a ~3.9 gpa what LSAT score would get me admitted? What LSAT score would I likely need to get some $$?

if you get a 165, they'll likely make it rain on you.
Thank you!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:27 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:

I honestly have no idea but I’d say anything over 155 puts you in safe admittance territory. I have no idea how they are with money but I know a URM 3L who negotiates and he got a lot more and he attributes it to URM status. Anecdotal so take what it’s worth.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:00 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

I honestly have no idea but I’d say anything over 155 puts you in safe admittance territory. I have no idea how they are with money but I know a URM 3L who negotiates and he got a lot more and he attributes it to URM status. Anecdotal so take what it’s worth.
Really appreciate all your helpful answers in this thread :) I truly am loving Fordham more and more each day. I'm confident I can get a 155 but, of course, I'm going to aim much higher and try to get some $$$. If I got a free ride or close to it, I think Fordham would be a great fit for me.

How competitive would you say the atmosphere is there? I don't mind competitiveness; I actually thrive on it, tbh. However, I don't want to be unable to make friends and join study groups and all of that.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:11 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Really appreciate all your helpful answers in this thread :) I truly am loving Fordham more and more each day. I'm confident I can get a 155 but, of course, I'm going to aim much higher and try to get some $$$. If I got a free ride or close to it, I think Fordham would be a great fit for me.

How competitive would you say the atmosphere is there? I don't mind competitiveness; I actually thrive on it, tbh. However, I don't want to be unable to make friends and join study groups and all of that.
Happy to help! I remember how overwhelming the application and selection process was last year. If I can make anyone’s choice easier I’m happy to do my best to try!!

Most of the people in my super section are amazing. We share outlines. We share other helpful documents we made for open book finals. We answer questions that classmates ask us (correctly lol). Some people “tutor” classmates struggling with topics or classes. They’re we a few people that try to psych you out on exam days but they’re largely jackasses that most don’t like anyway.

I’ve also made a lot of friends in my class. Anecdotally I also know of a couple of people in my supersection that ended up going on vacation together this winter break.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:23 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

Happy to help! I remember how overwhelming the application and selection process was last year. If I can make anyone’s choice easier I’m happy to do my best to try!!

Most of the people in my super section are amazing. We share outlines. We share other helpful documents we made for open book finals. We answer questions that classmates ask us (correctly lol). Some people “tutor” classmates struggling with topics or classes. They’re we a few people that try to psych you out on exam days but they’re largely jackasses that most don’t like anyway.

I’ve also made a lot of friends in my class. Anecdotally I also know of a couple of people in my supersection that ended up going on vacation together this winter break.
I hope if I get in and attend there are plenty of helpful people like yourself :)

ss45

New

Post by ss45 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:Fordham 3L here. Grades have been rolling in since Dec. 20. Deadline is the 12th, but professors have gone over.

Most of us check our grades once or twice a day on my.fordham.
Thanks. My last final was the 20th and my second was the 18th so I wasn’t expecting them before the University reopens on the 2nd. Can grades be posted when the university is closed? Here’s hoping the grade for the class whose final was the 13th is posted this coming week!
section 5?

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 pm

ss45 wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:Fordham 3L here. Grades have been rolling in since Dec. 20. Deadline is the 12th, but professors have gone over.

Thanks. My last final was the 20th and my second was the 18th so I wasn’t expecting them before the University reopens on the 2nd. Can grades be posted when the university is closed? Here’s hoping the grade for the class whose final was the 13th is posted this coming week!
section 5?
Nope. Sorry!

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:57 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

I hope if I get in and attend there are plenty of helpful people like yourself :)
I will keep my fingers crossed for you! If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask here or PM me!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:

Sorry for the delay. The short answer is maybe. The registrar is kind of a black box with when grades are posted. Just check once a day and you'll be fine.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:01 pm

MurdockLLP wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:

Thanks! I was hoping the grade for the exam I took the 13th would be posted this week but with the university closed yesterday I feel the chances are slim to none that it will be posted before next week. Oh well!

Sorry for the delay. The short answer is maybe. The registrar is kind of a black box with when grades are posted. Just check once a day and you'll be fine.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:02 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:

Thanks. My last final was the 20th and my second was the 18th so I wasn’t expecting them before the University reopens on the 2nd. Can grades be posted when the university is closed? Here’s hoping the grade for the class whose final was the 13th is posted this coming week

Thanks! I was hoping the grade for the exam I took the 13th would be posted this week but with the university closed yesterday I feel the chances are slim to none that it will be posted before next week. Oh well!

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:52 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:

Thanks. My last final was the 20th and my second was the 18th so I wasn’t expecting them before the University reopens on the 2nd. Can grades be posted when the university is closed? Here’s hoping the grade for the class whose final was the 13th is posted this coming week

Could be some today.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:19 pm

MurdockLLP wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:

Could be some today.
Honestly I’ve had the day from hell with trying to get out of a warm island back to NY with canceled flights and then rebooked flights being crazy delayed so I’d miss connecting flights with a strong chance of not getting on a flight until Sunday/Monday (thanks snow). Got it figured out and fingers crossed I’ll be landing in NY tonight if my second flight doesn’t get delayed/canceled.

All of this is a preamble to saying getting a good grade I’m happy with today when I land after my first flight would be a welcome treat for this day from travel hell. If I won’t be happy with the grade I’m split on just having this day be an all around disaster or preferring it not show up today.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:42 am

MurdockLLP wrote:The registrar is kind of a black box with when grades are posted. Just check once a day and you'll be fine.
Sorry for another question. Have you ever seen grades come out on a weekend or can I relax my checking until Monday?

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:25 am

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:The registrar is kind of a black box with when grades are posted. Just check once a day and you'll be fine.
Sorry for another question. Have you ever seen grades come out on a weekend or can I relax my checking until Monday?
If they aren't out tonight (1:30AM), they won't be out until Tuesday at the same time.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:07 pm

MurdockLLP wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
If they aren't out tonight (1:30AM), they won't be out until Tuesday at the same time.
Thank you!
Last edited by Legallylawyer2020 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bird_Lawyerings

New

Post by Bird_Lawyerings » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:38 pm

MurdockLLP wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
I thought my.fordham gets updated at 2am.

carmtastic

New

Post by carmtastic » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:53 pm

How much of a scholarship would you think makes Fordham worth it to go to? Obviously a full ride would be nice, but as far as I know they do very few of those?

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Bird_Lawyerings wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
I thought my.fordham gets updated at 2am.
Who knows, to be honest. I just got a grade at 1230 PM.

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:00 pm

carmtastic wrote:How much of a scholarship would you think makes Fordham worth it to go to? Obviously a full ride would be nice, but as far as I know they do very few of those?
That's a pretty subjective question. Most people get less than 50%. I love the school and appreciate all that they've helped me accomplish, but you need to figure out how much risk you're willing to take and what your desired outcome is.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:56 pm

For the folks that live at home: are you guys happy to have saved however much by commuting from home? Or if you had to do it over, would you try to find a place closer to campus (rip wallet)?

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:39 pm

AvatarMeelo wrote:For the folks that live at home: are you guys happy to have saved however much by commuting from home? Or if you had to do it over, would you try to find a place closer to campus (rip wallet)?
I chose to live close to campus even though I could have lived at my parents’ house. I am beyond happy with my decision. I can get to campus in less than 10 minutes which makes it so easy to get to school whenever I need to. It’s just convenient and it saves me so much time, which gives me more time for studying/relaxing/sleeping. I think that’s invaluable during 1L.

However, I’m not going into debt from choosing to live in the city. I have classmates that live at home and they don’t seem to mind it. I have more classmates that chose to live in the city to be closer to school when they could have lived at home. I don’t know what their personal financial situations are though.

Best advice: if it’s financially possible for you to live close to campus I would absolutely do that.

ss45

New

Post by ss45 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:56 pm

First grade back this morning: B in Crim, which was by far my strongest subject and the easiest exam. I literally yelled "what!" when I saw this grade. I've never been upset over a B.

Dave118

New

Post by Dave118 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:43 am

Barack O'Drama wrote: Hey! I had another question. As an AA URM w/ a ~3.9 gpa what LSAT score would get me admitted? What LSAT score would I likely need to get some $$?

I too had a 3.9 and applied last year with a 166. I was offered $35k/year. A friend of mine had a 3.9 with a 163 and received $30k/year. Both of us turned it down for a full ride at a lower ranked school. Couldn’t be happier with my decision.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”