Appropriate/Etiquette for referring potential clients if I am still in law school? Random question Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tb12345

New

Appropriate/Etiquette for referring potential clients if I am still in law school? Random question

Post by tb12345 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:20 pm

So I am still a law student so obviously I can't help potential clients. I had a woman I gave my number to awhile back give me a call today about an issue with guardianship of her granddaughter. She wasn't asking me for advice but she wanted me to refer her to an attorney.

Basically, I called one attorney I know who does a solo practice in her area who I think deals with that type of law on occasion but I am not 100% sure. I contacted her just now but she didn't pick up so she is probably out doing something.

I am also thinking about contacting another attorney I know who also does that kind of law on occasion. He is another solo practitioner in her area. Should I contact him before the first attorney gets back to me or is that not a good idea. I don't want to take potential business away from attorney #1 in the event she does want to take the case.

My instinct is telling me to wait for attorney #1 to contact me back before I contact attorney #2. But I am not really sure on the etiquette of this kind of thing. Any advice would be appreciated.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Re: Appropriate/Etiquette for referring potential clients if I am still in law school? Random question

Post by holdencaulfield » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:40 pm

You've probably already resolved this, but in the future, just give the person the name and number of the attorney you recommend and let the potential client contact the attorney directly. There is no reason to be the middle man.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”