Am I Patent Bar Eligible? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Laewgbi

New

Am I Patent Bar Eligible?

Post by Laewgbi » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:57 pm

I don't fall under category A. I'm looking at category B. But the issue is I'm not sure how I qualify.

For B.1, I have 15 credits of physics for physics majors. But my credits are quarter not semester hours.

For B.2, I have like no bio.

For B.3, I have 0 chemistry for chem majors. I have some chemical engineering classes but not enough.

For B.4, I have more than enough science and engineering classes for the 32 credits, but I'm unsure of the 8 credits of sequential physics. I skipped the two intro physics (using AP courses) which have required labs and took the 3rd course (which had a lab). Am I still counted as sequential? If so, I would have 12 credits of physics. But the AP classes show up on my transcript without grades so technically I didn't get a high enough grade to count them...?

I'm still in undergrad and I'm trying to plan out my remaining classes to be patent eligible. If I do not meet the requirements can I take classes at community college after my degree conferral to meet the requirements?
Last edited by Laewgbi on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Am I Patent Bar Eligible?

Post by UVA2B » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:03 pm

Do the AP physics course qualifications show up on your transcript? If so, you might get through on Cat. B, option 4. That's probably your best bet. But you can reach out to the USPTO on this sort of question, they can be super helpful when you're unsure how your transcripts will be read.

And to answer your last question, yes you can take classes that will get you patent bar eligible even after you've gotten your degree. Category B folks just need a non-qualifying degree plus the required credit hours under the specific option to qualify.

user69

New

Re: Am I Patent Bar Eligible?

Post by user69 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:09 am

Laewgbi wrote:I don't fall under category A. I'm looking at category B. But the issue is I'm not sure how I qualify.

For B.1, I have 15 credits of physics for physics majors. But my credits are quarter not semester hours.

For B.2, I have like no bio.

For B.3, I have 0 chemistry for chem majors. I have some chemical engineering classes but not enough.

For B.4, I have more than enough science and engineering classes for the 32 credits, but I'm unsure of the 8 credits of sequential physics. I skipped the two intro physics (using AP courses) which have required labs and took the 3rd course (which had a lab). Am I still counted as sequential? If so, I would have 12 credits of physics. But the AP classes show up on my transcript without grades so technically I didn't get a high enough grade to count them...?

I'm still in undergrad and I'm trying to plan out my remaining classes to be patent eligible. If I do not meet the requirements can I take classes at community college after my degree conferral to meet the requirements?
For B2 most quarterly schools have a conversion chart to semester hours. I’d check around there. As for B4 I’d be shocked if they didn’t look at your further physics course and Your APs and be like “ya that’s chill.” I’ve been shocked before though....

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”