HELP how do I get health insurance?? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
peege

New

HELP how do I get health insurance??

Post by peege » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:23 am

So I'm a senior in undergrad and am leaning toward taking a year off before law school, but if I did that I would no longer be eligible for my parents insurance (retired military Tricare). I'd have a job in the interim but how do you get health insurance in law school if you're not married and not on your parents' plan??

Desert Fox

Diamond

Re: HELP how do I get health insurance??

Post by Desert Fox » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:35 am

https://www.aetna.com/

https://www.healthcare.gov/

google.com

"no hablo engligese" in the ER waiting room
Last edited by Desert Fox on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piggy11

New

Post by Piggy11 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:56 am

The schools I've been looking at seem to offer their own health insurance to law school students, but you should look up your specific target schools.

Cmoney $$

New

Post by Cmoney $$ » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:10 pm

peege wrote:So I'm a senior in undergrad and am leaning toward taking a year off before law school, but if I did that I would no longer be eligible for my parents insurance (retired military Tricare). I'd have a job in the interim but how do you get health insurance in law school if you're not married and not on your parents' plan??

Are you 26? Tricare stops at 23 if you're enrolled in a full time student status. However, tricare offers relatively cheap program under the tricare young adult program. You will pay comparatively (aetna, healthcare.gov are simply not affordable unless you have zero income) low premiums. Check it out here https://tricare.mil/Plans/HealthPlans/TYA

You should be eligible for TYA until 26. You will probably be forced to buy insurance through LS when you start, so you'll probably pay about 120 bucks per month for a year under the tricare young adult program.

Shameful army recruiter plug here: you could join the Army reserve on your off year and get insurance for 29 dollars per month with zero out of pocket costs... FWIW.

Hope this helps!

peege

New

Post by peege » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:48 pm

Cmoney $$ wrote:
peege wrote:So I'm a senior in undergrad and am leaning toward taking a year off before law school, but if I did that I would no longer be eligible for my parents insurance (retired military Tricare). I'd have a job in the interim but how do you get health insurance in law school if you're not married and not on your parents' plan??

Are you 26? Tricare stops at 23 if you're enrolled in a full time student status. However, tricare offers relatively cheap program under the tricare young adult program. You will pay comparatively (aetna, healthcare.gov are simply not affordable unless you have zero income) low premiums. Check it out here https://tricare.mil/Plans/HealthPlans/TYA

You should be eligible for TYA until 26. You will probably be forced to buy insurance through LS when you start, so you'll probably pay about 120 bucks per month for a year under the tricare young adult program.

Shameful army recruiter plug here: you could join the Army reserve on your off year and get insurance for 29 dollars per month with zero out of pocket costs... FWIW.

Hope this helps!
I'm 21, but I wouldn't be a full time student anymore after May. And if i took the year off I'd be turning 23 right before I started law school. So would I still qualify for Tricare Young Adult if I didn't stay a full time student? And does that $120 per month include whatever I have to buy through law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:07 pm

I'm pretty sure that every reputable university has some kind of opt-in program for health insurance. It may not be cheaper than what you could get through the marketplace (while it's still basically functional), but you're not going to be uninsured.

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:35 pm

My school required you to sign up for health insurance through the university if you didn't have health insurance through the marketplace/your parents/whatever. I think it was like $2k/year.

Cmoney $$

New

Post by Cmoney $$ » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:57 pm

peege wrote:
Cmoney $$ wrote:

Hope this helps!
I'm 21, but I wouldn't be a full time student anymore after May. And if i took the year off I'd be turning 23 right before I started law school. So would I still qualify for Tricare Young Adult if I didn't stay a full time student? And does that $120 per month include whatever I have to buy through law school?
You stated your parents are retired. So long as they still claim you as a dependent, you can buy tricare young adult even if not enrolled in a full time program. Check out the link I provided earlier. I don't know your specific circumstances, so I don't know if you qualify.

Once you start school you can choose to keep your plan, or buy the obligatory school plan (if applicable).

peege

New

Post by peege » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:https://www.aetna.com/

https://www.healthcare.gov/

google.com

"no hablo engligese" in the ER waiting room
Lol preferable an option that doesn't ruin my credit score, but thank you

Desert Fox

Diamond

DF Thread

Post by Desert Fox » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:49 pm

DF Thread

Want to continue reading?