Job Security in Secondary Markets

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4594
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Job Security in Secondary Markets

Postby proteinshake » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:57 pm

are jobs in secondary markets less secure than jobs in major markets during an economic downturn (or in general)? should this factor into one's decision on where to practice?

carsondalywashere
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Re: Job Security in Secondary Markets

Postby carsondalywashere » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Interested in this as well

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4594
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Job Security in Secondary Markets

Postby proteinshake » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:28 pm

plz

Jay2716
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:41 pm

Re: Job Security in Secondary Markets

Postby Jay2716 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:26 pm

There is no answer to this. Recessions hit different markets, firms, and practice groups differently. I imagine there is generally greater variation within markets than between them in how firms fare during downturns, related mainly to internal factors you have very little ability to assess as a law student (or, for that matter, as an associate).

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4594
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Job Security in Secondary Markets

Postby proteinshake » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:41 pm

Jay2716 wrote:There is no answer to this. Recessions hit different markets, firms, and practice groups differently. I imagine there is generally greater variation within markets than between them in how firms fare during downturns, related mainly to internal factors you have very little ability to assess as a law student (or, for that matter, as an associate).

thanks!

Jay2716
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:41 pm

Re: Job Security in Secondary Markets

Postby Jay2716 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:59 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Jay2716 wrote:There is no answer to this. Recessions hit different markets, firms, and practice groups differently. I imagine there is generally greater variation within markets than between them in how firms fare during downturns, related mainly to internal factors you have very little ability to assess as a law student (or, for that matter, as an associate).

thanks!


Yeah, sorry I couldn’t be more helpful. There are just so many variables here it’s probably not worth making it a big part of your decision.

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4594
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Job Security in Secondary Markets

Postby proteinshake » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Jay2716 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Jay2716 wrote:There is no answer to this. Recessions hit different markets, firms, and practice groups differently. I imagine there is generally greater variation within markets than between them in how firms fare during downturns, related mainly to internal factors you have very little ability to assess as a law student (or, for that matter, as an associate).

thanks!


Yeah, sorry I couldn’t be more helpful. There are just so many variables here it’s probably not worth making it a big part of your decision.

I suppose that's a good thing! though I'll probably end up wanting to go to a bigger city, at least initially anyway.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests