question about social media background search

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawapplicant2017

question about social media background search

Postby lawapplicant2017 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:23 pm

Might sound like a peculiar question, but I am really not familiar in terms of what employers see/search for when they do a social media background search.

I don't have a twitter account. I have no pictures of myself on the internet. Even a google search yields no pictures. When I do a google search, all that comes up about me is a couple of guestbooks to obituaries I have signed. I have a facebook, with no profile picture, and have privacy settings on it so no one can see any postings.

One concern I have, however, is 6-7 years ago, I had another facebook account which I deleted, and I made some postings about my mood or feeling depressed at the time. the posts weren't set to public, they were private, but deleted that facebook account years ago.

1. So, what it is the extent of a social media background search that law firms/biglaw firms perform?
2. Is it possible they can pull up deleted posts?
3. Do they have a "backdoor" to get around private facebook accounts?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: question about social media background search

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:24 pm

No, they can't pull up deleted content or get around private accounts. Law enforcement can't without getting a subpoena, and law firms aren't law enforcement.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”