Am I too Late to Start Law? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tjf1

New

Am I too Late to Start Law?

Post by tjf1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:46 am

I know this is a fairly common question, but it usually comes from people a little bit older than me.

I'm currently 25, and working in banking. After realizing this isn't the path for me, I started weighing my options, and decided to try and go back to original idea I had after high school - law.

The only problem is, I only have a two year degree, and I slacked off the whole time because, well, I was young and stupid, so my GPA was less than satisfactory. This means I would have to go back and start school from the very beginning, instead of just trying to get into UG. Based on my life the way it is right now, I would have to go to community college again, so I can still work, get a two year degree, go to UG for another two years, and then take the LSAT, then hopefully get into law school.

By my rough estimate, if everything goes well and is done on time, I should be around 33 when it is all said and done. Will I be too old? I'm not looking to work in any huge firms or get into big law or anything, I will be focusing on family law. I'm worried that I'll be at that age where I start to get discriminated against because of my age.

Is there anyone out there who graduated law school around the same time and had trouble finding a job?

Any advice / insight is appreciated

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Re: Am I too Late to Start Law?

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:55 am

You're not too late but I'm also almost certain that getting into family law (or any law, really) isn't worth leaving the workforce for seven years.

tjf1

New

Post by tjf1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 am

BlendedUnicorn wrote:You're not too late but I'm also almost certain that getting into family law (or any law, really) isn't worth leaving the workforce for seven years.
Admittedly, that was another one of my worries as well. I know it is pretty low on the totem pole as far as law goes, but due to personal experiences, as well as experiences from people close to me, it is something I'm quite passionate about.

So (excluding my interest in family law), I won't be in too bad of a spot at 33? I won't be looked at as too old? (not that 33 is "old" but in regards to this field, having entry level qualifications at that age worries me)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:54 am

Nope, not too old.

And frankly being a little older will probably give you more credibility/ability to work with clients in family law.

Davidpuddy

New

Post by Davidpuddy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:06 am

0L here, I'll be the same age when I get done. Definitely not too old. Real world experience probably gives us a leg up in school and in the workforce if anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

devilblue

New

Post by devilblue » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:48 am

What banking gigs require only a 2 year degree?

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:12 pm

Davidpuddy wrote:Real world experience probably gives us a leg up in school
I can't imagine why this would be true.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:17 pm

WheatThins wrote:
Real world perspective can be helpful. I had a couple of profs tell me that that nontrads tend to handle the whole stress around grades/the curve better than KJDs.

Don't know that it goes *directly* to academic success though. There was no disproportionate representation of nontrads, say, making Coif at my school (though no disproportionate underrepresentation either).

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:18 pm

devilblue wrote:What banking gigs require only a 2 year degree?
I would expect heavily that banking doesn't imply IB in this instance - more than likely it's local bank teller-esque work or something along those lines

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

popgoestheweasel

New

Post by popgoestheweasel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Last edited by popgoestheweasel on Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tjf1

New

Post by tjf1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:19 pm

devilblue wrote:What banking gigs require only a 2 year degree?
You start out at the very bottom and work your way up. You don't start out making anything (I started as a teller, worked up to personal banker, then relationship manager). Some companies like to promote within, although it is most certainty not easy to move up. Still, it's just not something I'd care to pursue any longer. Too much demand, not enough rewarding work. I basically feel like I'm helping no one except a mega bank make more money, and I see very little from it.

tjf1

New

Post by tjf1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:22 pm

popgoestheweasel wrote:You don't need a BA at some law schools. They only require an associates.
That would be convienent considering I'm starting so late, but would they provide me with the right credentials to have enough respect when trying to find work? If I'm going to commit, I have to do it right

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:30 pm

tjf1 wrote:
popgoestheweasel wrote:You don't need a BA at some law schools. They only require an associates.
That would be convienent considering I'm starting so late, but would they provide me with the right credentials to have enough respect when trying to find work? If I'm going to commit, I have to do it right
Your job credentials after LS would be primarily based off your grades and the school you attend for LS. So, you'd need to look into what schools would allow you with just an associates.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Davidpuddy

New

Post by Davidpuddy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:29 pm

WheatThins wrote:
I know personally my experience working in a demanding job has taught me a lot about time management, working with others, and discipline. I know I'll be a better student next year than I would have been as a KJD.

popgoestheweasel

New

Post by popgoestheweasel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Last edited by popgoestheweasel on Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:51 am

Do not go to Cooley

popgoestheweasel

New

Post by popgoestheweasel » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Last edited by popgoestheweasel on Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:49 pm

popgoestheweasel wrote:
Damage Over Time wrote:Do not go to Cooley
Why? They give tons of money
And no employment opportunities.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:55 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
popgoestheweasel wrote:
Are we still humoring the troll?

The guy pretended to be a TJ student and then pretended to be a prospective student deciding between TJ and Cooley. I'm not quite sure what the schtick is now, unless it's just mentioning Cooley over and over again.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:31 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
popgoestheweasel wrote:
Are we still humoring the troll?

The guy pretended to be a TJ student and then pretended to be a prospective student deciding between TJ and Cooley. I'm not quite sure what the schtick is now, unless it's just mentioning Cooley over and over again.
Pretty sure they only commented in the deciding thread, to recommend TJ, and weren't deciding between the two. So bad advice, but not clearly troll.

(Doesn't mean they're long for this world, but 13 posts isn't a dire threat to TLS yet.)

tjf1

New

Post by tjf1 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:16 pm

how about experience wise? I'm basically going to be entry level at 33. I'm assuming that will hinder me later on? only 7 years in the field and I'll already be 40. that kind of worries me a bit

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:05 pm

tjf1 wrote:how about experience wise? I'm basically going to be entry level at 33. I'm assuming that will hinder me later on? only 7 years in the field and I'll already be 40. that kind of worries me a bit
You'll be fine. Work experience is only a positive factor when you're interviewing for jobs. I don't understand why you'd think it's a hindrance down the line.

popgoestheweasel

New

Post by popgoestheweasel » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:13 pm

tjf1 wrote:how about experience wise? I'm basically going to be entry level at 33. I'm assuming that will hinder me later on? only 7 years in the field and I'll already be 40. that kind of worries me a bit

What's your lsat?

tjf1

New

Post by tjf1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:08 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
You'll be fine. Work experience is only a positive factor when you're interviewing for jobs. I don't understand why you'd think it's a hindrance down the line.
my worry is, down the line when I do get experience, I may be passed / looked over because of my age

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:23 am

tjf1 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
my worry is, down the line when I do get experience, I may be passed / looked over because of my age
I highly doubt it. Aside from that being illegal, you're not even in an age bracket where that would be a concern.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”