0L Advice? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ConLaw2017

New

Re: 0L Advice?

Post by ConLaw2017 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:46 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:Genuinely curious what Harry Styles has done to you personally for you to have such a violent reaction to his music being played in your vicinity. That story sounds hilarious, I wish a partner blasted music and danced in front of my office, that's a super uplifting way to start the day
I have nothing against Harry Styles although I do believe that a man in his elder years should have more mature music tastes. By any measure, anyone who has worked in biglaw knows that it is considered inappropriate to blast loud music in front of someone's face at 8AM in the morning. And then follow up that encounter by knocking on someone's door and dancing like a schoolgirl. I don't understand how I can be accused of acting like a child when this behavior clearly strikes of someone who has ill-intent or is steadily becoming senile.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:49 pm

ConLaw2017 wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:Genuinely curious what Harry Styles has done to you personally for you to have such a violent reaction to his music being played in your vicinity. That story sounds hilarious, I wish a partner blasted music and danced in front of my office, that's a super uplifting way to start the day
I have nothing against Harry Styles although I do believe that a man in his elder years should have more mature music tastes. By any measure, anyone who has worked in biglaw knows that it is considered inappropriate to blast loud music in front of someone's face at 8AM in the morning. And then follow up that encounter by knocking on someone's door and dancing like a schoolgirl. I don't understand how I can be accused of acting like a child when this behavior clearly strikes of someone who has ill-intent or is steadily becoming senile.
I don't know, this behavior sounds more like someone trying to lighten things up around the office and help you laugh and try to enjoy life for seemingly the first time. Laughter can be good, I think you might enjoy it, you should try it sometime.

ConLaw2017

New

Post by ConLaw2017 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:52 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
ConLaw2017 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
ConLaw2017 wrote:It's not my fault that I have to work from 8-11 when no other similarly situated person has to.
I thought that was something you were doing by choice?
Yes and no. It was a choice in the sense that I originally did it because I wanted to make a good impression, combat stereotypes in a WASP profession, and prove my worth. It was not a choice in the sense that once I stopped, others started pressuring me to re-start. Someone even went so far to suggest that I would be fired - and I didn't want to make my program look bad and take this opportunity from a successor who probably wants biglaw and does not have better exit options.
How, exactly, precisely, did they suggest that you would be fired from an 8-week program when they can just wait you out and be rid of you?

I agree that being told to go back to Africa is bad and I'm sorry someone thought that was appropriate to say to you.
I was just as taken aback as you are. I did a project for a lawyer on my first day and stayed until 11:30 to get it done. I turned it in the next day with a proviso that I would need more time if he or she wanted something in particular to be done in a more through fashion. The lawyer accepted the assignment and then offered negative feedback on the very same part of the assignment that I requested more time on. Later, I mentioned that it was a tad odd that I was an intern staying late until 11 in the night and everyone went ballistic. Notwithstanding the fact that I am not even a 0L yet, rumors began to circulate that I was not "biglaw material" and would be shown the door soon which I assume is code for being fired. I don't know why their reaction to something so small was so harsh

ConLaw2017

New

Post by ConLaw2017 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:53 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
ConLaw2017 wrote:
I don't know, this behavior sounds more like someone trying to lighten things up around the office and help you laugh and try to enjoy life for seemingly the first time. Laughter can be good, I think you might enjoy it, you should try it sometime.
The song was "Sign of the Times" if you read the lyrics, it was pretty clear he was telling me to get lost.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:54 pm

ConLaw2017 wrote:I was just as taken aback as you are. I did a project for a lawyer on my first day and stayed until 11:30 to get it done. I turned it in the next day with a proviso that I would need more time if he or she wanted something in particular to be done in a more through fashion. The lawyer accepted the assignment and then offered negative feedback on the very same part of the assignment that I requested more time on. Later, I mentioned that it was a tad odd that I was an intern staying late until 11 in the night and everyone went ballistic. Notwithstanding the fact that I am not even a 0L yet, rumors began to circulate that I was not "biglaw material" and would be shown the door soon which I assume is code for being fired. I don't know why their reaction to something so small was so harsh
Ok, see, this shit is why people aren't taking you seriously on this thread (and in life, I would imagine). You cannot compare getting told to go back to Africa (which is horrible) to what you just described (which is a totally normal part of working any job, not just biglaw).

But again, it's not like you're actually going to get fired from an 8-week job.

ETA: The above post is an even better example.
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:55 pm

ConLaw2017 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
ConLaw2017 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
ConLaw2017 wrote:It's not my fault that I have to work from 8-11 when no other similarly situated person has to.
Yes and no. It was a choice in the sense that I originally did it because I wanted to make a good impression, combat stereotypes in a WASP profession, and prove my worth. It was not a choice in the sense that once I stopped, others started pressuring me to re-start. Someone even went so far to suggest that I would be fired - and I didn't want to make my program look bad and take this opportunity from a successor who probably wants biglaw and does not have better exit options.
How, exactly, precisely, did they suggest that you would be fired from an 8-week program when they can just wait you out and be rid of you?

I agree that being told to go back to Africa is bad and I'm sorry someone thought that was appropriate to say to you.
I was just as taken aback as you are. I did a project for a lawyer on my first day and stayed until 11:30 to get it done. I turned it in the next day with a proviso that I would need more time if he or she wanted something in particular to be done in a more through fashion. The lawyer accepted the assignment and then offered negative feedback on the very same part of the assignment that I requested more time on. Later, I mentioned that it was a tad odd that I was an intern staying late until 11 in the night and everyone went ballistic. Notwithstanding the fact that I am not even a 0L yet, rumors began to circulate that I was not "biglaw material" and would be shown the door soon which I assume is code for being fired. I don't know why their reaction to something so small was so harsh
What does "rumors began to circulate" mean? Who was saying those things and how did you find out about then? Also, to whom did you complain about staying till 11 and what does "going ballistic" mean?

ConLaw2017

New

Post by ConLaw2017 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:00 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
ConLaw2017 wrote:I was just as taken aback as you are. I did a project for a lawyer on my first day and stayed until 11:30 to get it done. I turned it in the next day with a proviso that I would need more time if he or she wanted something in particular to be done in a more through fashion. The lawyer accepted the assignment and then offered negative feedback on the very same part of the assignment that I requested more time on. Later, I mentioned that it was a tad odd that I was an intern staying late until 11 in the night and everyone went ballistic. Notwithstanding the fact that I am not even a 0L yet, rumors began to circulate that I was not "biglaw material" and would be shown the door soon which I assume is code for being fired. I don't know why their reaction to something so small was so harsh
Ok, see, this shit is why people aren't taking you seriously on this thread (and in life, I would imagine). You cannot compare getting told to go back to Africa (which is horrible) to what you just described (which is a totally normal part of working any job, not just biglaw).

You would think that but no one else in my program had to work under these conditions. Is it not a tad off that I was the only person working these hours for less than standard pay? Is it not also not a coincidence that some of the same folks in this office were telling me to go back to Africa?

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:02 pm

lol if there’s one person in my office I know nothing about, it’s the 0L wasting space down the hall. No one cares about you or whether you’re “biglaw material” (lol wtf) except recruiting, and their opinions matter marginally more than not at all. If you interview here at OCI, no one except for people you do direct work with will remember you. You’re not in the Truman show, the whole world isn’t watching, 99.9% of the people at your firm have no idea who you are and don’t have time or energy to give any fucks. You seem maddeningly self involved and insecure. I mean this in the kindest way, see a therapist.

ConLaw2017

New

Post by ConLaw2017 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:03 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
ConLaw2017 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
ConLaw2017 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

What does "rumors began to circulate" mean? Who was saying those things and how did you find out about then? Also, to whom did you complain about staying till 11 and what does "going ballistic" mean?
What I mean is some one high up alerted other attorneys that it was not unlikely that I would be leaving the firm before my term was up. I found out a few days after this when several associates suggested to my face that I would be gone before the program deadline. I define ballistic as threatening to fire a summer over a citation mistake for a meaningless assignment when that person will be gone in less than 2 fortnights.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:04 pm

ConLaw2017 wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:
ConLaw2017 wrote:
The song was "Sign of the Times" if you read the lyrics, it was pretty clear he was telling me to get lost.
The lyrics seem to indicate that the entire song's message is "quit worrying, everything is going to be fine" so maybe the dude was telling you to lighten up

Deserving Porcupine

New

Post by Deserving Porcupine » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:04 pm

ConLaw2017 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

You would think that but no one else in my program had to work under these conditions. Is it not a tad off that I was the only person working these hours for less than standard pay? Is it not also not a coincidence that some of the same folks in this office were telling me to go back to Africa?
So you were told to go back to Africa on more than one occasion and by more than one person?

0heL

New

Post by 0heL » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:06 pm

ConLaw2017 wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:
ConLaw2017 wrote:
So – just to be clear – you think the partner was not only deeply familiar with the lyrics of a Harry Styles song, but also knew that you were familiar with the same exact song to the point that, upon hearing it, you would get the message that you were not welcome. Am I missing anything?

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:09 pm

Guys, it was actually this song

[youtube]o8VZX4sHn-4[/youtube]

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

0heL

New

Post by 0heL » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Deserving Porcupine wrote:
ConLaw2017 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

So you were told to go back to Africa on more than one occasion and by more than one person?
The weirdest thing about this thread is the Africa comment. Like if any lawyer at an SEO firm did that, that would be pretty big news. Like AtL level news. The people at SEO would be furious. I don't think it would get a partner fired or anything (lol), but it would be a much bigger deal than any of the other things OP has mentioned. And yet OP has spent way more of his poasting talking about Harry Styles and the INJUSTICE of working til 11.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:13 pm

0heL wrote:The weirdest thing about this thread is the Africa comment. Like if any lawyer at an SEO firm did that, that would be pretty big news. Like AtL level news. The people at SEO would be furious. I don't think it would get a partner fired or anything (lol), but it would be a much bigger deal than any of the other things OP has mentioned. And yet OP has spent way more of his poasting talking about Harry Styles and the INJUSTICE of working til 11.
Yeah, this is why I'm confused/skeptical of the general claims.

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Code: Select all

We never learn, we been here before
Why are we always stuck and running from
The bullets?
The bullets
- Harry Styles, Sign of the Times

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:15 pm

OP, I mean no disrespect, but I sincerely recommend that you consider putting off law school for a couple of years. You obviously have outstanding academic credentials, and I believe you have a genuine interest in law. But you appear to have problems that extend beyond minor social issues.

You're paranoid. You repeatedly misinterpret plain language. You misunderstand professional and social settings in a way that sets you up for failure. And, although I am certainly in no position to make a diagnosis, your posts suggest that you might have some form of mental illness.

You likely would benefit enormously from working for a couple of years before law school. During that time, you may want to visit a mental health professional to start talking through some of the issue you've raised in this thread.

Again, I'm posting this in the spirit of helpfulness. Check to see If YLS would be willing to defer your admission for a year or two.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:22 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
0heL wrote:The weirdest thing about this thread is the Africa comment. Like if any lawyer at an SEO firm did that, that would be pretty big news. Like AtL level news. The people at SEO would be furious. I don't think it would get a partner fired or anything (lol), but it would be a much bigger deal than any of the other things OP has mentioned. And yet OP has spent way more of his poasting talking about Harry Styles and the INJUSTICE of working til 11.
Yeah, this is why I'm confused/skeptical of the general claims.
Yeah, it's hard to know what to make of the whole thing. It's wholly likely that the law firm in question is shitty in some of the typical big law ways, in terms of work expectations and feedback. I realize it's kind of blaming the victim which isn't cool, but more the OP emphasizes just HOW badly everyone reacted to him, the more I wonder what his responses to them were. I fully believe there are firms that participate in SEO for the social/cultural capital of looking diverse, yet don't have the most enlightened beliefs. But if they participate in a program that brings them diverse interns each year I'm not sure why suddenly *this* diverse intern is such a problem they want to get rid of him before the program is up.

getit2getherminnelli

New

Post by getit2getherminnelli » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:45 pm

ConLaw2017 wrote: I was just as taken aback as you are. I did a project for a lawyer on my first day and stayed until 11:30 to get it done. I turned it in the next day with a proviso that I would need more time if he or she wanted something in particular to be done in a more through fashion. The lawyer accepted the assignment and then offered negative feedback on the very same part of the assignment that I requested more time on. Later, I mentioned that it was a tad odd that I was an intern staying late until 11 in the night and everyone went ballistic. Notwithstanding the fact that I am not even a 0L yet, rumors began to circulate that I was not "biglaw material" and would be shown the door soon which I assume is code for being fired. I don't know why their reaction to something so small was so harsh
Whatever assignment you were given, you gravely misunderstood it. First of all, no one is going to give a 0L anything complex or substantial to work on. They have people who actually know how to do that stuff. They’re going to give you small unimportant assignments, and the deadline is going to be however much time they think it should take you. The reason everyone went ballistic is because it was inappropriate for you to stay as late as you did. If you were having difficulty with the assignment, you should have asked for clarification or a second opinion. Instead, you wasted time slaving away by yourself and all you had to show for it was a half-finished assignment.

There is a certain cognitive error to which very smart people are sometimes susceptible. They get so used to figuring things out for themselves that they think that’s the way all problems are solved. When such people encounter things they don’t understand, they don’t know how to ask for help. Often, they've built up their entire identity around their intelligence and are absolutely terrified of being perceived as stupid. It’s going to take time and a lot of practice to learn to admit what you don’t know, to ask questions, and to take constructive feedback in stride. You’re young; you can still course-correct. The first step is to stop treating everyone around you like an enemy combatant.

cvillain

New

Post by cvillain » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Seriously man you really have doxxed yourself with this thread. People are going to know what firm you’re at, because it’s absolutely trivial to find your identity. Delete this account and try a different one later...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:27 pm

cvillain wrote:Seriously man you really have doxxed yourself with this thread. People are going to know what firm you’re at, because it’s absolutely trivial to find your identity. Delete this account and try a different one later...
Because I told the OP this and just so people are clear: we don't delete accounts.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ConLaw2017

New

Post by ConLaw2017 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:29 pm

getit2getherminnelli wrote:
ConLaw2017 wrote: I was just as taken aback as you are. I did a project for a lawyer on my first day and stayed until 11:30 to get it done. I turned it in the next day with a proviso that I would need more time if he or she wanted something in particular to be done in a more through fashion. The lawyer accepted the assignment and then offered negative feedback on the very same part of the assignment that I requested more time on. Later, I mentioned that it was a tad odd that I was an intern staying late until 11 in the night and everyone went ballistic. Notwithstanding the fact that I am not even a 0L yet, rumors began to circulate that I was not "biglaw material" and would be shown the door soon which I assume is code for being fired. I don't know why their reaction to something so small was so harsh
Whatever assignment you were given, you gravely misunderstood it. First of all, no one is going to give a 0L anything complex or substantial to work on. They have people who actually know how to do that stuff. They’re going to give you small unimportant assignments, and the deadline is going to be however much time they think it should take you. The reason everyone went ballistic is because it was inappropriate for you to stay as late as you did. If you were having difficulty with the assignment, you should have asked for clarification or a second opinion. Instead, you wasted time slaving away by yourself and all you had to show for it was a half-finished assignment.

There is a certain cognitive error to which very smart people are sometimes susceptible. They get so used to figuring things out for themselves that they think that’s the way all problems are solved. When such people encounter things they don’t understand, they don’t know how to ask for help. Often, they've built up their entire identity around their intelligence and are absolutely terrified of being perceived as stupid. It’s going to take time and a lot of practice to learn to admit what you don’t know, to ask questions, and to take constructive feedback in stride. You’re young; you can still course-correct. The first step is to stop treating everyone around you like an enemy combatant.
You know what? Its time to bring this thread to an end. I have better things to do than drag this out longer. But because some of you insist on posting just to tell me that what I experienced was not true (even though you were not there), I'm going to close with a hard, difficult truth for you. If you have contributed constructive feedback to this discussion and were not here just to decrease the likelihood of a lawsuit (that was never going to happen), I apologize for what I am about to say and respectfully ask you to quit reading my post and go on with your day.

Life is path dependent. In 1st world nations without a fixed social hierarchy such as the U.S., most us have a reasonable opportunity to grow up, get an education, and work in a job that we can find fulfilling on more occasions than not. There are exceptions to this rule though. Some of us are incredibly lucky, some of us are incredible unlucky. While the results of this lottery have, over time, become more symmetric on a racial and gender basis. The fact remains that the folks in the unlucky column are still disproportionately from minority backgrounds and are not male. This can create anxiety. If I see someone on the street, we can't tell if she or he is poor or rich or well-educated or educationally deprived. The result is that we can harbor insecurities about our self-worth and become defensive when what we are accustomed too is perceived as being under attach.

These concerns are particularly accentuated in the legal profession. While America is not a meritocracy, the fact of the matter is that where one goes to college, and where one goes to law school has a substantial (and likely too substantial effect) on where they end up in life. Our profession, for better or worse, is about as hierarchical as the ancien regime, which rightfully ticks off about 85% of people in it who don't benefit.

This is not my fault. I played the game by the rules and ended up in my lucky position even though, statistically speaking, I should have ended up working a menial job with no education like most of my childhood friends did. Just because your cards were not as good, or your law school is not as good, or your college was not as good, or your opportunities were not as good does not give you permission to come on here and trash me. I had to fight for everything I have now and you and I can fully recognize that we are both where we are by chance - no one disputes this. It is also not my fault or responsibility to assuage other's insecurity or unwillingness to acknowledge race discrimination in our law schools and law firms. You want to know the real reason why these guys reacted so violently to me? I'm a counter-stereotype. For some of you, because of residential segregation, odds are you have never lived in a diverse area much less seen a Latino or African-American who could hold their own in an intellectual tangle - this is probably the first time (and last time) you will have seen or interacted with a nergo with my background. I'm sorry I deleted my prior posts because they are proof of this. Our natural response in this situation is feel under attack and try to restore stasis by getting rid of the disturbance. Fair. The only reason I spoke out was because I wanted career advice and I felt that speaking out was in everyone's interest.

Because let me tell you right know, you all who know me know damn well that there is no way anyone will be able to completely blacklist someone with my background from every U.S. lawfirm, much less the government (I'd imagine they would laugh at you if you tried to tell them who to hire), or academia. But don't complain when these guys treat you like they treated me and you regret that you did not heed my warning. The only reason I was put out so early was because I'm such a counter-stereotype and will be practice ready in such a short amount of time that these guys literally cannot take me. But if you think for one second these partners (or any firm) will care about you when you start becoming a burden in your senior years and eat into their profit margins (and don't look like everyone around you), you are crazy. Good luck.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:38 pm

rpupkin wrote:You're paranoid. You repeatedly misinterpret plain language. You misunderstand professional and social settings in a way that sets you up for failure. And, although I am certainly in no position to make a diagnosis, your posts suggest that you might have some form of mental illness.

tedler

Gold

Post by tedler » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:44 pm

ConLaw2017 wrote:The only reason I was put out so early was because I'm such a counter-stereotype and will be practice ready in such a short amount of time that these guys literally cannot take me.
:lol:

cvillain

New

Post by cvillain » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:45 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
cvillain wrote:Seriously man you really have doxxed yourself with this thread. People are going to know what firm you’re at, because it’s absolutely trivial to find your identity. Delete this account and try a different one later...
Because I told the OP this and just so people are clear: we don't delete accounts.
Oh right. I mean at least he should stop using it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”