Help! Law Firm Fit! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Help! Law Firm Fit!

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:27 pm

I know SA programs are lavish but there are not going to be social events every single night of the week including weekends. And people log in to work late at night after social events.

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:27 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think KissMyAxe's point about grades earlier was that even without formal grades, your first semester performance is going to be crucial for impressing the profs who can get you the right clerkships.
Okay, well hopefully I can multi-task. I spent undergrad living like a hermit and this is finally my chance to get appellate experience (albeit in student competitions). You only live once...

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:27 pm

Full
Of
Shit

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:29 pm

BVest wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
quiver wrote:If you want to do high-level appellate work in DC, you should probably put in some effort (read: you'll likely need an appellate a SCOTUS clerkship).
It's very difficult to do only high-level appellate work as an associate in big law, even if you're coming off of a decent COA clerkship. These firms make their money off of trial-level litigation. I've had so many friends who were hired into the "appellate lit group" but who spend over half their time doing the same boring trial-level litigation tasks (discovery, evidentiary motions, etc.) that all associates do.
Is Pro-Bono or Government the way to go then? I have been thinking about DOJ Civil Appellate or the Texas OSG.
Mostly responding just to tag this trainwreck of a thread, but FWIW, Texas OSG doesn't hire junior attorneys, though I'm sure you'd be a strong candidate for their clerkship, if they got to keep their funding for it in the latest budget.
Is this the 1L program?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think KissMyAxe's point about grades earlier was that even without formal grades, your first semester performance is going to be crucial for impressing the profs who can get you the right clerkships.
Okay, well hopefully I can multi-task. I spent undergrad living like a hermit and this is finally my chance to get appellate experience (albeit in student competitions). You only live once...
You can be the best multi-tasker in the world but I mean this nicely, there is no way you're writing 7 appellate briefs during 1L. There's also no earthly reason to do so, if Yale will even let you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
BVest wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
quiver wrote:If you want to do high-level appellate work in DC, you should probably put in some effort (read: you'll likely need an appellate a SCOTUS clerkship).
It's very difficult to do only high-level appellate work as an associate in big law, even if you're coming off of a decent COA clerkship. These firms make their money off of trial-level litigation. I've had so many friends who were hired into the "appellate lit group" but who spend over half their time doing the same boring trial-level litigation tasks (discovery, evidentiary motions, etc.) that all associates do.
Is Pro-Bono or Government the way to go then? I have been thinking about DOJ Civil Appellate or the Texas OSG.
Mostly responding just to tag this trainwreck of a thread, but FWIW, Texas OSG doesn't hire junior attorneys, though I'm sure you'd be a strong candidate for their clerkship, if they got to keep their funding for it in the latest budget.
Is this the 1L program?
No. It's a post-grad 1-year clerkship. If they have a 1L program they certainly don't have any money dedicated to it.

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:33 pm

Hey guys: I inventes bottled water, can eat a rubiks cube and shit it out solved and was wondering: what do law journal yale have word salad?

Tyia

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:36 pm

I'm still confused about how you took 20 law school classes in your senior year of undergrad. As was pointed out, taking 20 doctrinal classes would be on the high end for a full-time law student over the course of three years.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:39 pm

Texas2Step wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:In any event, I have about ~10 moot courts scheduled for 1L year and 7 pro bono groups so this train is about to leave the station. Finally, I was tentative about the 2 CoA clerkships - my advisor told me it would make more sense to do one at the district level and then clerk for a CoA.
I have no idea what the bolded is about. Are you sure you're talking about law school?
Sorry bolded was unintentional - fixing it now
You misunderstand—I bolded the phrase in your post. I don't understand what that phrase means in the context of the first year of law school. It's not commensurate with the experience of any law-school student I have known, at YLS or elsewhere.

I interview associate candidates at a law firm. If an associate said something like "I did 10 moot courts and seven pro bono groups during 1L," I'd think that something was really wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:42 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I'm still confused about how you took 20 law school classes in your senior year of undergrad. As was pointed out, taking 20 doctrinal classes would be on the high end for a full-time law student over the course of three years.
If this is true, they could have just been seminars that were open to non-law students. SLS is on the quarter system so there would have been more opportunities to squeeze in 20 classes.

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:43 pm

Full
Of
Shit

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:44 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I'm still confused about how you took 20 law school classes in your senior year of undergrad. As was pointed out, taking 20 doctrinal classes would be on the high end for a full-time law student over the course of three years.
If this is true, they could have just been seminars that were open to non-law students. SLS is on the quarter system so there would have been more opportunities to squeeze in 20 classes.
True, but OP mentioned tax, habeas, and 14th amendment, which are heavy doctrinal courses. Even if you cut it in half, 10 doctrinals is about what a law student gets in 2 years of law school if they do clinics, journal, 10 moot courts, etc.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:46 pm

There's putting the cart before the horse, and then there's OP. This is breathtaking

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Dude shoulda claimed he fucking taught the SLS classes. Just as believable as the rest of this horseshit.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:47 pm

I think it's pretty laughable when law students think they'll like appellate, but it's even more amazing to see a 0L say it

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:51 pm

I actually think it's very normal for people to think they'll like appellate. (Some of us do actually like it, Nebby.) It is a good match for nerdy introverts (as an appellate lawyer said to me once, appellate lawyers don't get out much), and then of course people think they want it because they think it's all like arguing in front of SCOTUS.

There are lots of AMAZING things in what OP is saying, but that they think they'll like appellate isn't one of them.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:51 pm

Kali the Annihilator wrote:Dude shoulda claimed he fucking taught the SLS classes. Just as believable as the rest of this horseshit.
Didn't he?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:52 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I actually think it's very normal for people to think they'll like appellate. (Some of us do actually like it, Nebby.) It is a good match for nerdy introverts (as an appellate lawyer said to me once, appellate lawyers don't get out much), and then of course people think they want it because they think it's all like arguing in front of SCOTUS.

There are lots of AMAZING things in what OP is saying, but that they think they'll like appellate isn't one of them.
I think 95% of people who say they like it will be because of bolded, which is why I chuckle

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:54 pm

Nebby wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I actually think it's very normal for people to think they'll like appellate. (Some of us do actually like it, Nebby.) It is a good match for nerdy introverts (as an appellate lawyer said to me once, appellate lawyers don't get out much), and then of course people think they want it because they think it's all like arguing in front of SCOTUS.

I think 95% of people who say they like it will be because of bolded, which is why I chuckle
And everyone here laughs at people who think they want to do environmental law, too.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:54 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
True, but OP mentioned tax, habeas, and 14th amendment, which are heavy doctrinal courses. Even if you cut it in half, 10 doctrinals is about what a law student gets in 2 years of law school if they do clinics, journal, 10 moot courts, etc.
I mean tax I'd typically agree with, but habeas and 14th amendment? You can definitely cover those in a seminar.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:55 pm

Texas2Step wrote:I want to make a good impression and some of the supervising folks are....testy...read into this what you will...
I read into this that you aren't very good with people.

Edit - are we assuming this is a troll now?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:58 pm

BVest wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
BVest wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Is this the 1L program?
No. It's a post-grad 1-year clerkship. If they have a 1L program they certainly don't have any money dedicated to it.
They have a 1L program. Thanks for telling me this will keep it in mind.

Texas2Step

New

Post by Texas2Step » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:03 pm

cron1834 wrote:
Texas2Step wrote:I want to make a good impression and some of the supervising folks are....testy...read into this what you will...
I read into this that you aren't very good with people.

Edit - are we assuming this is a troll now?
No, I'm real. These guys are out of it. One attorney in his elder years blasted Harry Styles in my face at 8:30 AM and told me to get out, another told me to go back to a continent I'm not even from, and another threatened to fire me for mentioning that making an intern work until 11PM on their first full day was a tad unusual (especially when all the associates and partners were gone). What the fuck am I supposed to do with this? I try to please them but I can't make headway which makes me think there is a culture problem.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:03 pm

cron1834 wrote:1 SA, 7 moot courts, 11 pro bonos, and 20 law school classes! Kid has it all!
Those are rookie numbers!

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:03 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Nebby wrote:

And everyone here laughs at people who think they want to do environmental law, too.
I'm not sure what your point is here, Nony. I think those are pretty analogous situations; 95% of people on here who want "environmental law" think about saving trees and animals and not the ins and outs of CERCLA or admin law.

In any case, wanting appellate law is pretty low on the list of OP's issues right now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”