Going to Hastings for Public Interest

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
conker
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Going to Hastings for Public Interest

Postby conker » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:28 pm

.
Last edited by conker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grades??
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Going to Hastings for Public Interest

Postby grades?? » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:33 pm

You can't get in without an lsat, so come back when you have a score.

conker
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: Going to Hastings for Public Interest

Postby conker » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:34 pm

.
Last edited by conker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
UVA2B
Posts: 3149
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Going to Hastings for Public Interest

Postby UVA2B » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:35 pm

What sort of public interest are you looking at getting into following graduation?

conker
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: Going to Hastings for Public Interest

Postby conker » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:39 pm

.
Last edited by conker on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Going to Hastings for Public Interest

Postby grades?? » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:48 pm

conker wrote:
grades?? wrote:You can't get in without an lsat, so come back when you have a score.


Dude, getting into Hastings is easy. Have you seen the numbers? It's almost embarrassing. 75th percentile LSAT in the 150s? If I'm asking about a tough school, sure. But this type of comment isn't warranted here.

ETA: if you do not have advice relative to the point of the post, why do you feel the need to contribute? The connection between LSAT and success in law school is speculative, so why would you focus only on that and ignore the rest of my post?


Do you have an LSAT? No. You might be one of the OVER HALF of test takers who score in the 150s or below. Put your money where your mouth is and take the lsat and then come back. Until then, your score is 0.

User avatar
UVA2B
Posts: 3149
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Going to Hastings for Public Interest

Postby UVA2B » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:49 pm

conker wrote:
UVA2B wrote:What sort of public interest are you looking at getting into following graduation?


I am not picky, nor looking for prestige. I would just like something within or very near the city making at least 50k. I have enjoyed the different types of lawyers and nonprofits I have worked for so far, and do not have a preference. I also know little-to-nothing of the type of law I would want to practice. Figure I'll let that be discovered in law school.

Offhand, refugee stuff sounds cool in a superficial way because I have no experience with it.


When it comes to non-prestigious PI (would really love it to be better defined, but I'll accept that you haven't figured out exactly what you want to do yet), it's going to be more about your commitment to the specific type of PI than the school you're attending. If you're explicitly looking at non-profits, etc., you'll want to be able to show how deeply committed you are to their specific mission, both through your previous work history, law school coursework, and internships and externships with the organization. So going to Hastings for cheap/free isn't an unreasonable bet in getting that type of work if you can make everything else about your resume and job application make sense to those employers and show unwavering commitment to being that type of attorney.

It's theoretically possible to make $50k in SF as a PI attorney because of the insanely high COL, but these types of positions usually don't pay that much, at least initially.

Hastings is a decent enough regional school for the type of work you're talking about doing, just make sure it's for as cheap as possible because their employment numbers are decidedly blech in the other types of typically desirable employment like Biglaw.

You really should be thinking now about what type of PI really interests you, because you're going to want to show singular focus on getting that job from day one. It's not something to really be figured out while you're in law school (maybe things like PD, ADA, local government type of stuff can be decided on later if you had those jobs in mind, but non-profits have very few openings for entry-level attorneys and there will be a lot of people applying for those jobs).

albanach
Posts: 1262
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Going to Hastings for Public Interest

Postby albanach » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:51 pm

conker wrote:
grades?? wrote:You can't get in without an lsat, so come back when you have a score.


Dude, getting into Hastings is easy. Have you seen the numbers? It's almost embarrassing. 75th percentile LSAT in the 150s? If I'm asking about a tough school, sure. But this type of comment isn't warranted here.


From http://www.uchastings.edu/about/fact-stats/index.php

Median LSAT 159
75th Percentile LSAT 161
25th Percentile LSAT 156

156 is the 67th percentile for the LSAT. Two thirds of test takes won't achieve that. The median of 159 is higher than three quarters of LSAT takers will score.

conker
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: Going to Hastings for Public Interest

Postby conker » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm

grades?? wrote:
conker wrote:
grades?? wrote:You can't get in without an lsat, so come back when you have a score.


Dude, getting into Hastings is easy. Have you seen the numbers? It's almost embarrassing. 75th percentile LSAT in the 150s? If I'm asking about a tough school, sure. But this type of comment isn't warranted here.

ETA: if you do not have advice relative to the point of the post, why do you feel the need to contribute? The connection between LSAT and success in law school is speculative, so why would you focus only on that and ignore the rest of my post?


Do you have an LSAT? No. You might be one of the OVER HALF of test takers who score in the 150s or below. Put your money where your mouth is and take the lsat and then come back. Until then, your score is 0.


Will do. I'll PM you with my score, and we can talk all night. Talk to you then.

conker
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: Going to Hastings for Public Interest

Postby conker » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:58 pm

UVA2B wrote:
conker wrote:
UVA2B wrote:What sort of public interest are you looking at getting into following graduation?


I am not picky, nor looking for prestige. I would just like something within or very near the city making at least 50k. I have enjoyed the different types of lawyers and nonprofits I have worked for so far, and do not have a preference. I also know little-to-nothing of the type of law I would want to practice. Figure I'll let that be discovered in law school.

Offhand, refugee stuff sounds cool in a superficial way because I have no experience with it.


When it comes to non-prestigious PI (would really love it to be better defined, but I'll accept that you haven't figured out exactly what you want to do yet), it's going to be more about your commitment to the specific type of PI than the school you're attending. If you're explicitly looking at non-profits, etc., you'll want to be able to show how deeply committed you are to their specific mission, both through your previous work history, law school coursework, and internships and externships with the organization. So going to Hastings for cheap/free isn't an unreasonable bet in getting that type of work if you can make everything else about your resume and job application make sense to those employers and show unwavering commitment to being that type of attorney.

It's theoretically possible to make $50k in SF as a PI attorney because of the insanely high COL, but these types of positions usually don't pay that much, at least initially.

Hastings is a decent enough regional school for the type of work you're talking about doing, just make sure it's for as cheap as possible because their employment numbers are decidedly blech in the other types of typically desirable employment like Biglaw.

You really should be thinking now about what type of PI really interests you, because you're going to want to show singular focus on getting that job from day one. It's not something to really be figured out while you're in law school (maybe things like PD, ADA, local government type of stuff can be decided on later if you had those jobs in mind, but non-profits have very few openings for entry-level attorneys and there will be a lot of people applying for those jobs).


Yes, Hastings employment numbers are terrible in pretty much any size law. I would not go there outside of gunning for PI, and my resume is stronger than what I would expect most's to be for this field. I was wondering if those types of things would be a strong enough foundation to warrant pursuing the field of PI. I could then determine a type of PI that could potentially have jobs and just gun for that. It's not like one type of PI is my dream. Work is work. I could act like one was my dream though, if that's what is needed. This is the kind of information I am looking for here.

In my state, non-profit jobs are sparse, but applicants are scarcer. We have about one application for every three public interest jobs in my state, and the field as a whole is unduly underserved. However, I do not want to live here. I should look up numbers like these for the bay area.

User avatar
UVA2B
Posts: 3149
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Going to Hastings for Public Interest

Postby UVA2B » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Reported your OP so mods will move it to "Ask a Law Student" when one of them sees it.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: White Dwarf and 3 guests