Experiences with student health insurance plans? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lmb38

New

Experiences with student health insurance plans?

Post by lmb38 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi all - I'd love to hear from anyone who is/was covered for health insurance through their school and can give an overview of their experience with it. Did you find it to be comprehensive? Anything in particular lacking? Was it easy to use, easy to find a doctor? How much generally were out of pocket costs?

Thanks!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Re: Experiences with student health insurance plans?

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:40 pm

Northwestern's Aetna plan is top of the line (as it should be -- it costs something like $3700/yr). I imagine the same is true with most law schools. This is all public information -- just google the school you're interested in and its health plan, and read the coverage of benefits.

lmb38

New

Re: Experiences with student health insurance plans?

Post by lmb38 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:07 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Northwestern's Aetna plan is top of the line (as it should be -- it costs something like $3700/yr). I imagine the same is true with most law schools. This is all public information -- just google the school you're interested in and its health plan, and read the coverage of benefits.
Thanks! Good to hear. I've read through coverage info from several schools but often the actual experience of using insurance can vary from what is presented up front. I have some health issues that mean regularly making use of a plan, so curious to hear from students who've had hands-on experience with it.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”