Will I ever use my LSAT again?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Will I ever use my LSAT again?

Postby 41262 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:43 pm

Currently deposited at [good school] for this fall, had signed up for the June LSAT in a Hail Mary play to get off the [better school] waitlist. Stopped studying for various reasons, but missed the LSAC refund deadline, so now I'm considering taking the test cold on the off chance I magically improve my score. Very high probability that I do much worse than my previous takes, very low probability that I do better. Am perfectly happy with [current school], but would go to [better school] if by some miracle I was admitted.

Is there any downside to retaking at this point, assuming I'll likely bomb it - in other words, will I ever use my LSAT scores again? The only jobs I've been able to turn up that might look at the LSAT after law school are management consulting and JAG, and I'm not at all interested in either. Are there opportunities during law school that look at LSAT scores, for example? And even if there are, would they care about a terrible score after two pretty good ones?

Guessing answer is 'no' for all the above, but want to make sure there's not something I'm failing to consider. Appreciate any insight.
Last edited by 41262 on Mon May 29, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ernie

Re: Will I ever use my LSAT again?

Postby ernie » Mon May 29, 2017 11:56 pm

Never had any prospective employer (firms, judges, public interest) ask for LSAT.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 30, 2017 6:02 am

I did have a judge once ask for my score, but it's not like I had to provide score sheets. You could just give the highest score. (Wasn't asked how many times I took it/score range or anything at all like that.)

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue May 30, 2017 11:16 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I did have a judge once ask for my score, but it's not like I had to provide score sheets. You could just give the highest score. (Wasn't asked how many times I took it/score range or anything at all like that.)

I've had similar experiences every time — which was rarely — that an employer asked for my LSAT score. I can't remember anyone asking for every LSAT score or anything like that, so I just gave the highest.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 30, 2017 12:17 pm

Yeah, I think it's pretty uncommon.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue May 30, 2017 7:10 pm

I've had one judge ask, but outside of that (all other judges, employers, etc.) it's never been mentioned.

mjb447

Postby mjb447 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:54 pm

Yeah, some judges ask (Judge Kleinfeld comes to mind most easily), but it's unusual.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 30, 2017 11:29 pm

The thought of sitting through an unnecessary LSAT is so painful that its deranged. Why would anyone do that to themselves

Postby 41262 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:33 pm

jbagelboy wrote:The thought of sitting through an unnecessary LSAT is so painful that its deranged. Why would anyone do that to themselves

I mean assuming 10 seconds per post, you've spent more than an entire day of your life just posting on TLS so... I bow to your derangement expertise! :D

Thanks all for the answers

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 31, 2017 4:22 pm

41262 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:The thought of sitting through an unnecessary LSAT is so painful that its deranged. Why would anyone do that to themselves

I mean assuming 10 seconds per post, you've spent more than an entire day of your life just posting on TLS so... I bow to your derangement expertise! :D

see I derive some pleasure, and even occasionally contribute something to the community, by posting on TLS over the past five years

whereas taking LSAT questions? no pleasure. no contribution.

I think the added pain and discomfort of taking an unnecessary LSAT should factor into your decision here. That's all.

Postby 41262 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:42 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
41262 wrote:

see I derive some pleasure, and even occasionally contribute something to the community, by posting on TLS over the past five years

I think the added pain and discomfort of taking an unnecessary LSAT should factor into your decision here. That's all.

Oh right the LSAT isn't fun! Had completely forgotten, wasn't factoring that in prior to your comment, very helpful reminder. I guess you did concede your contributions are "occasional"...

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 31, 2017 8:01 pm

41262 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
41262 wrote:

Oh right the LSAT isn't fun! Had completely forgotten, wasn't factoring that in prior to your comment, very helpful reminder. I guess you did concede your contributions are "occasional"...

41262 wrote:...Is there any downside to retaking at this point, assuming I'll likely bomb it - in other words, will I ever use my LSAT scores again?...

You asked if there are any downsides to retaking knowing your score will likely decrease. You didn't seem to be factoring in a pretty significant one. It's not just "not fun;" its a fucking miserable way to spend most of a day. That's worth considering is all. No need to be so snide.

Postby 41262 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:27 pm

jbagelboy wrote:No need to be so snide.

Also, pretty sure it's safe to assume anyone who's already taken the LSAT is aware it's unpleasant (or "fucking miserable," or however you choose to characterize it). Own your shitpost bro, no need to continue pretending you were just trying to help out.

CJames33

Postby CJames33 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:54 pm

If you plan on applying to any JAG program, you will be asked about your LSAT score. Navy JAG I know uses your LSAT score and the score of your interview with them to weed out candidates that don't meet a certain threshold. However, that is the only time I have ever needed my LSAT score outside of law school admissions.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”