.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
mtf612
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:56 am

.

Postby mtf612 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks all !
Last edited by mtf612 on Tue May 30, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4672
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 1L summer position questions

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun May 28, 2017 5:35 pm

Just to address the base question: yes, prospective 1L employers will ask for references. As to how you get around a dick managing partner? No idea. If there's anyone else at the firm who could be considered your supervisor, I'd use them instead to sidestep the managing partner.

But honestly, I've never had anyone actually call my references for these kinds of things. I think half of the employers looking at your resume just want to know that you have 2-3 people who you trust to say nice-ish things about you.

User avatar
lymenheimer
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: 1L summer position questions

Postby lymenheimer » Sun May 28, 2017 5:47 pm

No position I applied to asked for references.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2398
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: 1L summer position questions

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun May 28, 2017 5:56 pm

My 1L position (DOJ) required references and contacted all of them. I was applying for one of their smaller regional offices though, so not sure if that factored into it.

Npret
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: 1L summer position questions

Postby Npret » Sun May 28, 2017 6:20 pm

You might as well get on with your life. You can find other people to be references if needed. Write a letter and email notifying him of your last day. I'm not sure why you would let fear keep you in a job you need to leave.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4672
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 1L summer position questions

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun May 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:My 1L position (DOJ) required references and contacted all of them. I was applying for one of their smaller regional offices though, so not sure if that factored into it.


Government offices (especially prosecutors) also require a much more extensive background check than most NGOs or private sector positions, so I imagine that had something to do with it.

mcmand
Posts: 412
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: 1L summer position questions

Postby mcmand » Sun May 28, 2017 8:33 pm

Npret wrote:You might as well get on with your life. You can find other people to be references if needed. Write a letter and email notifying him of your last day. I'm not sure why you would let fear keep you in a job you need to leave.


Cut him some slack. It's stressful to have your major work experience of your career potentially maligned by a psycho boss to any future employers. That's a very real fear, and it wouldn't be irrational, in terms of short-term thinking, to want to preserve the relationship and find another way out.

But, OP, you should still take a deep breath and weigh all the facts. Sounds like you just need to leave. Give your two weeks already, don't pull any punches but be professional about it, and move on. You don't owe your boss this, but if you feel it will make things better, put some more extra hours in during the two weeks to try to leave your successor and boss better off.

Don't be shy about asking for a reference. If your boss decides to stop being weird and makes himself available to meet, you could ask in person (always ideal). Don't sell yourself short when you ask. Describe the positive things you've done and why a reference from him would be meaningful. Tell him nice things about his management (even if you're putting lipstick on a pig in doing so). Turn "you're a nazi micromanager" into "I really appreciate you taking the time to show me the ropes."

I feel your pain here, leaving a job is always a little scary because people's emotions get involved, but you and I know that you're going to leave, and you should do it in a way that benefits you and is least harmful to your employer. Rip the bandaid off and do it.

Npret
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: 1L summer position questions

Postby Npret » Sun May 28, 2017 9:11 pm

mcmand wrote:
Npret wrote:You might as well get on with your life. You can find other people to be references if needed. Write a letter and email notifying him of your last day. I'm not sure why you would let fear keep you in a job you need to leave.


Cut him some slack. It's stressful to have your major work experience of your career potentially maligned by a psycho boss to any future employers. That's a very real fear, and it wouldn't be irrational, in terms of short-term thinking, to want to preserve the relationship and find another way out.

But, OP, you should still take a deep breath and weigh all the facts. Sounds like you just need to leave. Give your two weeks already, don't pull any punches but be professional about it, and move on. You don't owe your boss this, but if you feel it will make things better, put some more extra hours in during the two weeks to try to leave your successor and boss better off.

Don't be shy about asking for a reference. If your boss decides to stop being weird and makes himself available to meet, you could ask in person (always ideal). Don't sell yourself short when you ask. Describe the positive things you've done and why a reference from him would be meaningful. Tell him nice things about his management (even if you're putting lipstick on a pig in doing so). Turn "you're a nazi micromanager" into "I really appreciate you taking the time to show me the ropes."

I feel your pain here, leaving a job is always a little scary because people's emotions get involved, but you and I know that you're going to leave, and you should do it in a way that benefits you and is least harmful to your employer. Rip the bandaid off and do it.

OP won't need a reference for months. I'm not sure what you are talking about? He hasn't even started school yet.

User avatar
mtf612
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:56 am

Re: 1L summer position questions

Postby mtf612 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:45 pm

mcmand wrote:
Npret wrote:You might as well get on with your life. You can find other people to be references if needed. Write a letter and email notifying him of your last day. I'm not sure why you would let fear keep you in a job you need to leave.


Cut him some slack. It's stressful to have your major work experience of your career potentially maligned by a psycho boss to any future employers. That's a very real fear, and it wouldn't be irrational, in terms of short-term thinking, to want to preserve the relationship and find another way out.

But, OP, you should still take a deep breath and weigh all the facts. Sounds like you just need to leave. Give your two weeks already, don't pull any punches but be professional about it, and move on. You don't owe your boss this, but if you feel it will make things better, put some more extra hours in during the two weeks to try to leave your successor and boss better off.

Don't be shy about asking for a reference. If your boss decides to stop being weird and makes himself available to meet, you could ask in person (always ideal). Don't sell yourself short when you ask. Describe the positive things you've done and why a reference from him would be meaningful. Tell him nice things about his management (even if you're putting lipstick on a pig in doing so). Turn "you're a nazi micromanager" into "I really appreciate you taking the time to show me the ropes."

I feel your pain here, leaving a job is always a little scary because people's emotions get involved, but you and I know that you're going to leave, and you should do it in a way that benefits you and is least harmful to your employer. Rip the bandaid off and do it.


Thanks for this. Is it a bad call to put in my two weeks on Tuesday since Monday is a holiday? I suppose it isn't a full two weeks then, which is why I'm hesitant.

Kungfu Wontons
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:21 am

Re: 1L summer position questions

Postby Kungfu Wontons » Sun May 28, 2017 10:32 pm

Give him 2 weeks notice on Monday morning. Don't ask him for a reference because he's weird.

This is not a big deal, though it might seem like it right now to you.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2398
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: 1L summer position questions

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun May 28, 2017 10:41 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:My 1L position (DOJ) required references and contacted all of them. I was applying for one of their smaller regional offices though, so not sure if that factored into it.


Government offices (especially prosecutors) also require a much more extensive background check than most NGOs or private sector positions, so I imagine that had something to do with it.


Good point. Now that I think of it, all the jerbs I had in law school that actually contacted my references were government, whereas the NGO didn't seem to have contacted anyone.

User avatar
mtf612
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:56 am

Re: 1L summer position questions

Postby mtf612 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:52 pm

.
Last edited by mtf612 on Tue May 30, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcmand
Posts: 412
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: 1L summer position questions

Postby mcmand » Mon May 29, 2017 12:30 am

mtf612 wrote:
Kungfu Wontons wrote:Give him 2 weeks notice on Monday morning. Don't ask him for a reference because he's weird.

This is not a big deal, though it might seem like it right now to you.


The office is closed for memorial day on monday. :(

I won't ask for a reference at this point - hopefully things will smooth over before I leave. Going to ask a few other co-workers/supervising staff whether they'd be comfortable offering a reference 6 months from now lol


Great plan.

Don't worry about it being Tuesday. He should know it was coming, it sounds like you already initiated the conversation. If he throws a fit, then w/e. Take a deep breath, and walk away!

If you do serve out the two weeks, definitely try to pitch in with coworkers and supervising staff so they remember good things about you.

User avatar
lymenheimer
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: 1L summer position questions

Postby lymenheimer » Mon May 29, 2017 5:17 am

I'm pretty sure most of the kids who needed references asked professors they were tight with.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests