Do I disclose that I am an evening student when interviewing for full-time position?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Do I disclose that I am an evening student when interviewing for full-time position?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 5:51 pm

I apologize in advance that this is not a post law school career related question.

I will be a part-time, evening student this fall, as I am trying to work full-time. I have interviews at several law firms for full-time paralegal/legal assistant positions. These are small to mid-regional law. Anecdotally and according to glassdoor, these firms have flexible hours and have had part-time paralegals in the past. But I still worry that my part-time student status could play a negative role in hiring process.

Should I disclose that I will be a part-time law student during the interview? Or just try not to bring it up?

Anonymous User
Posts: 299695
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do I disclose that I am an evening student when interviewing for full-time position?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 6:01 pm

I am of the belief you should. If they find out after you get the job, and the job could possibly conflict some way somehow with school, then that reflects poorly on you. Remember that the legal world is about "ethics" and disclosure and I'm not sure you being a law student and a paralegal/legal assistant without telling them is ethical. It shouldn't be a problem once you do disclose it

User avatar
Mickfromgm
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Re: Do I disclose that I am an evening student when interviewing for full-time position?

Postby Mickfromgm » Sat May 13, 2017 8:14 am

You need to figure out if this job is strict 9-5 (or 8-4 or whatever). A paralegal/legal assistant job could require overtime, depending on the people you work with, client volume and so on. It could be from time to time on as needed basis, or all the time. If you have to refuse to stay late to run to your classes (and exams!), the firm won't be happy unless you have a good explanation AND they had that expectation when they hired you. Who knows, maybe they would like the fact that you will bring some legal background to the table, and they expect the position to be 9-5. Or maybe they'd be relieved to know that you want to be part-time and they can save some money on salary and benefits, etc.

The bottom line is, you never know how they would react and it could go either way, but you gotta be honest. If you think you can handle both responsibilities, tell them so with confidence at the interview and see how it goes.

Be sure to keep the grades up . . . . don't forget why you are attending law school in the first place. Good luck, sir/madam.

User avatar
rcharter1978
Posts: 4308
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: Do I disclose that I am an evening student when interviewing for full-time position?

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I apologize in advance that this is not a post law school career related question.

I will be a part-time, evening student this fall, as I am trying to work full-time. I have interviews at several law firms for full-time paralegal/legal assistant positions. These are small to mid-regional law. Anecdotally and according to glassdoor, these firms have flexible hours and have had part-time paralegals in the past. But I still worry that my part-time student status could play a negative role in hiring process.

Should I disclose that I will be a part-time law student during the interview? Or just try not to bring it up?


Wouldn't part of your draw be that you're enrolled/enrolling in law school, or have you done this sort of work before?

My guess would be that you're not under any duty to disclose. Per the ABA if you're going to school full time you can only work 20 h/week, but in evening programs, its assumed you have a full-time job.

If you think its going to be a negative, don't bring it up. But I don't see why it would be a negative. Also, use your career services office, which may have a line on legal assistant jobs for employers who are okay with students in school.

Npret
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Do I disclose that I am an evening student when interviewing for full-time position?

Postby Npret » Sat May 27, 2017 8:47 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I apologize in advance that this is not a post law school career related question.

I will be a part-time, evening student this fall, as I am trying to work full-time. I have interviews at several law firms for full-time paralegal/legal assistant positions. These are small to mid-regional law. Anecdotally and according to glassdoor, these firms have flexible hours and have had part-time paralegals in the past. But I still worry that my part-time student status could play a negative role in hiring process.

Should I disclose that I will be a part-time law student during the interview? Or just try not to bring it up?


Wouldn't part of your draw be that you're enrolled/enrolling in law school, or have you done this sort of work before?

My guess would be that you're not under any duty to disclose. Per the ABA if you're going to school full time you can only work 20 h/week, but in evening programs, its assumed you have a full-time job.

If you think its going to be a negative, don't bring it up. But I don't see why it would be a negative. Also, use your career services office, which may have a line on legal assistant jobs for employers who are okay with students in school.


The ABA repealed that rule in 2014. It's up to the school. As OP is part time the school must already approve fulltime work.
Here's an old thread discussing it and it has a link to the ABA decisions from that year.

viewtopic.php?t=244513

User avatar
rcharter1978
Posts: 4308
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: Do I disclose that I am an evening student when interviewing for full-time position?

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:47 pm

Npret wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I apologize in advance that this is not a post law school career related question.

I will be a part-time, evening student this fall, as I am trying to work full-time. I have interviews at several law firms for full-time paralegal/legal assistant positions. These are small to mid-regional law. Anecdotally and according to glassdoor, these firms have flexible hours and have had part-time paralegals in the past. But I still worry that my part-time student status could play a negative role in hiring process.

Should I disclose that I will be a part-time law student during the interview? Or just try not to bring it up?


Wouldn't part of your draw be that you're enrolled/enrolling in law school, or have you done this sort of work before?

My guess would be that you're not under any duty to disclose. Per the ABA if you're going to school full time you can only work 20 h/week, but in evening programs, its assumed you have a full-time job.

If you think its going to be a negative, don't bring it up. But I don't see why it would be a negative. Also, use your career services office, which may have a line on legal assistant jobs for employers who are okay with students in school.


The ABA repealed that rule in 2014. It's up to the school. As OP is part time the school must already approve fulltime work.
Here's an old thread discussing it and it has a link to the ABA decisions from that year.

viewtopic.php?t=244513


Oh, okay, that was after I applied to law school. I didn't realize the school would have to approve fulltime work for a parttime student.

Npret
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Do I disclose that I am an evening student when interviewing for full-time position?

Postby Npret » Sun May 28, 2017 3:54 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
Npret wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I apologize in advance that this is not a post law school career related question.

I will be a part-time, evening student this fall, as I am trying to work full-time. I have interviews at several law firms for full-time paralegal/legal assistant positions. These are small to mid-regional law. Anecdotally and according to glassdoor, these firms have flexible hours and have had part-time paralegals in the past. But I still worry that my part-time student status could play a negative role in hiring process.

Should I disclose that I will be a part-time law student during the interview? Or just try not to bring it up?


Wouldn't part of your draw be that you're enrolled/enrolling in law school, or have you done this sort of work before?

My guess would be that you're not under any duty to disclose. Per the ABA if you're going to school full time you can only work 20 h/week, but in evening programs, its assumed you have a full-time job.

If you think its going to be a negative, don't bring it up. But I don't see why it would be a negative. Also, use your career services office, which may have a line on legal assistant jobs for employers who are okay with students in school.


The ABA repealed that rule in 2014. It's up to the school. As OP is part time the school must already approve fulltime work.
Here's an old thread discussing it and it has a link to the ABA decisions from that year.

viewtopic.php?t=244513


Oh, okay, that was after I applied to law school. I didn't realize the school would have to approve fulltime work for a parttime student.

No I wrote that wrong. I meant that the school expects part ime evening students to work full time. You can check with the school to be sure.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests