Tips for those interested in M&A law?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
URM_lawnerd

New

Tips for those interested in M&A law?

Postby URM_lawnerd » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:23 pm

Hello guys,

I'm a 0L starting this coming Fall who is interested in specializing in corporate law, specifically M&A law. Any tips for how to get into this type of law, like which classes to take, whether clerkships will help, which law-related extracurricular activities will make me stand out, etc.? To be clear, I won't be attending a T14. At best, I might be attending a T20, but I'm still waiting on that decision and it will most likely be a denial.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Tips for those interested in M&A law?

Postby UVA2B » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:35 pm

1) Which classes to take: Your law school will have a bevy of law and business courses. Once you get past the doctrinal courses during 1L, try to take as many substantive corporate classes you can (save this advice for the upcoming advice though)

2) Clerkships: never a bad idea because it's a positive signal to employers that you will bring in some skills to the firm. Beyond that, you're making contacts in a court that presumably a firm would value. If the firm is exclusively corporate, then it's less beneficial as they spend little to no time in court.

3) Law-related ECs: Do things that interest you. Nothing you do will "make you stand out."

Overarching advice: Depending on the school, which you've left absent, this type of work varies pretty wildly in availability. Under your T20 assumption (which, given you said would likely end up in a denial, I'll assume you're looking even lower down the totem pole than that), you have approximately a 30-40% chance* of going to a firm that does M&A in any substantial capacity. Nothing about what you do in law school beyond your 1L grades will likely make you stand out to an employer absent significant work experience prior to law school in a similar corporate role. Keep in mind that most of the firms doing actual M&A will be hiring you in the fall of your 2L year based off OCI and mass mailing combined with your 1L grades.

It's not a horrible question to ask, but given what you've provided so far, I'd be wary about gambling on law school for this type of job that you're likely going to miss out on.

ETA: It entirely depends on the T20 or whatever school you're talking about, this number could go up to ~50% chance, but based on everything, you're talking about those chances at sticker, which is a horrible gamble

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:52 pm

URM_lawnerd wrote:Hello guys,

I'm a 0L starting this coming Fall who is interested in specializing in corporate law, specifically M&A law. Any tips for how to get into this type of law, like which classes to take, whether clerkships will help, which law-related extracurricular activities will make me stand out, etc.? To be clear, I won't be attending a T14. At best, I might be attending a T20, but I'm still waiting on that decision and it will most likely be a denial.

If you want corporate M&A, which I promise is not as glamourous as it sounds, focus on getting the absolute best grades you can. Read the threads here on doing we'll in law school and studying for your professor's exam. Working long hours is not the key.
You are going to need biglaw and it will be harder from lower ranked schools. You're going to get a job from your grades not by taking certain classes.

Clerkship are of little value for transactional practice so dont focus on that yet.

corporatemandaorbust

New

Postby corporatemandaorbust » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:16 pm

bump

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:23 pm

corporatemandaorbust wrote:bump

It hasn't even been 24 hours since the last post. Also, what about the answers so far do you find objectionable? Seem pretty comprehensive to me. All that really matters is going to a school that places into these types of jobs.

Itiswritten

New

Postby Itiswritten » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:28 pm

M&A is not a kind of 'law' as much as it is a subset of corporate transactions or capital markets

Echoing everyone above, you learn M&A by working in the corporate practice group of a big law firm. You get to a biglaw firm with good law school grades, social skills, and by interviewing well. You don't learn M&A in law school, even if your school offers a class on that.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:33 pm

More than anything, you just need to express an interest. Get good grades, to the extent possible talk to practitioners and get a feel for their practice. Take Business Associations/Corporations as an elective and then from 2L on take business law type classes. Any business background you have coming in will be a major plus.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:06 pm

All 1Ls take the same classes. You are hired for a summer internship at the start of your second year based on your 1L grades (mostly). You are given a full time offer and pick your specialization at the end of that summer internship. All this happens before you take any elective or do any clerkships.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:26 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:All 1Ls take the same classes. You are hired for a summer internship at the start of your second year based on your 1L grades (mostly). You are given a full time offer and pick your specialization at the end of that summer internship. All this happens before you take any elective or do any clerkships.

That is not universally the case.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?