Deferring Enrollment to Acquire Work Experience

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Throwaway Account

New

Deferring Enrollment to Acquire Work Experience

Postby Throwaway Account » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:24 pm

Hello,

Some background info: I am a year out of undergrad (class of 2016), I was admitted for enrollment this fall at a middle T-14, and I have BigLaw ambitions. The problem is, I have zero work experience and I'm afraid it will put me at serious disadvantage during OCI's if I go in with a weak resume.

Consequently, I've been considering deferring my admittance at this law school for a year so I can get some legal related work experience under my belt before I enroll. I have two potential legal-related job opportunities: 1. I have an interview this week with a BigLaw firm for a staff position and 2. I have another interview for a position with my state's Attorney General's office (this one sounds like a fairly certain thing because of connections). Would either of these opportunities be impressive or significant enough to warrant deferring enrollment for a year I could pursue them? If not, what sort of things would be? Or is deferring for work experience not necessary at all?

Thanks for the help.

mjb447

Silver

Re: Deferring Enrollment to Acquire Work Experience

Postby mjb447 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:38 pm

Throwaway Account wrote:Hello,

Some background info: I am a year out of undergrad (class of 2016), I was admitted for enrollment this fall at a middle T-14, and I have BigLaw ambitions. The problem is, I have zero work experience and I'm afraid it will put me at serious disadvantage during OCI's if I go in with a weak resume.

Consequently, I've been considering deferring my admittance at this law school for a year so I can get some legal related work experience under my belt before I enroll. I have two potential legal-related job opportunities: 1. I have an interview this week with a BigLaw firm for a staff position and 2. I have another interview for a position with my state's Attorney General's office (this one sounds like a fairly certain thing because of connections). Would either of these opportunities be impressive or significant enough to warrant deferring enrollment for a year I could pursue them? If not, what sort of things would be? Or is deferring for work experience not necessary at all?

Thanks for the help.

Deferring isn't generally necessary to make you competitive during OCI. There might still be good reasons to defer ([redacted because wrong], get more exposure to the practice of law to help figure out if it's what you want to do), but positioning for OCI isn't really among them.
Last edited by mjb447 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:45 pm

mjb447 wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Deferring isn't generally necessary to make you competitive during OCI. There might still be good reasons to defer (retake LSAT to get better schools or $$$, get more exposure to the practice of law to help figure out if it's what you want to do), but positioning for OCI isn't really among them.

Unless they mean withdrawing, retaking isn't generally helpful because you're committed to that school if you defer, and they have zero incentive to increase your tuition discount. If they meant withdrawing, then 100% agree.

OP, if you want better insight into what the practice of law is like, go ahead and defer (or withdraw if you want to open up other options) for a year to get some work experience and see if you'll like the eventual practice of law. There is no harm in deferring, and it could give you excellent insight into what legal practice is actually like on the nuts and bolts level.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:51 pm

UVA2B wrote:
mjb447 wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Deferring isn't generally necessary to make you competitive during OCI. There might still be good reasons to defer (retake LSAT to get better schools or $$$, get more exposure to the practice of law to help figure out if it's what you want to do), but positioning for OCI isn't really among them.

Unless they mean withdrawing, retaking isn't generally helpful because you're committed to that school if you defer, and they have zero incentive to increase your tuition discount. If they meant withdrawing, then 100% agree.

OP, if you want better insight into what the practice of law is like, go ahead and defer (or withdraw if you want to open up other options) for a year to get some work experience and see if you'll like the eventual practice of law. There is no harm in deferring, and it could give you excellent insight into what legal practice is actually like on the nuts and bolts level.

Oh thanks, I read the post a little cursorily (too close to the end of the workday). You're absolutely right.

Throwaway Account

New

Postby Throwaway Account » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:52 pm

UVA2B wrote:
mjb447 wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Thank you for the insight. As far as whether or not doing so would make a difference at OCI, can you speak to that?

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:56 pm

Throwaway Account wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
mjb447 wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Thank you for the insight. As far as whether or not doing so would make a difference at OCI, can you speak to that?

Haven't been through OCI yet, but it likely won't make much of a difference. No work experience on your resume can be a differentiator at the margins, but that will come like fourth in importance behind 1) grades 2) law school experience and 3) personality and ability to interview well. When you're talking about the middle of the T13, you're probably going to end up in the blob of mediocrity known as median, and very few of your classmates will have truly substantial work experience that gets them single-handedly from middle of the pack to "holy shit, hire that guy." Most people will have done one or two things in their pre-law school life, and none of it will be so impressive as to make your resume look like manure.

njdevils2626

Bronze

Postby njdevils2626 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:04 pm

Throwaway Account wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
mjb447 wrote:

Thanks for the help.

It will make no difference whatsoever for OCI purposes, unless your place of employment during deferral really likes you and offers to hire you when the time comes. Aside from that, there will likely be no noticeable difference

YBF-W

New

Postby YBF-W » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:18 pm

UVA2B wrote:
mjb447 wrote:

Thanks for the help.

The impression I get is OCI offers will depend on your grades and interviewing skills. Many many ppl get offers as K-JDs and even then, unless you never worked in teams/did internships throughout college and don't do anything in between your law school summers, you likely have the professional maturity needed to talk about your professional qualities.

If this is more about you believing you don't have a good enough understanding of the law/want to test out other interests and want to erase any lingering hesitation about your decision to go to law school, you still have some time to get some experience if you really want.. perhaps through internships of the kind of staff positions you mentioned above.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?