HYS Appellate Advice

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28711
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: HYS Appellate Advice

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:59 pm

....no one here broke labor laws or made you stay late??

And no, you misread people. Challenging your complaints about how you were treated in biglaw is not the same as saying that AAs don't deserve human dignity.

lucretius_
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: HYS Appellate Advice

Postby lucretius_ » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:19 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:....no one here broke labor laws or made you stay late??

And no, you misread people. Challenging your complaints about how you were treated in biglaw is not the same as saying that AAs don't deserve human dignity.


I believe OP thought that I said that AAs are not deserving or respect or dignity. I have never and would never make that argument. I thought my discussion with OP yesterday made this clear, but I guess not since he continues to claim that I made that argument.

deleteyouraccount
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:09 pm

Re: HYS Appellate Advice

Postby deleteyouraccount » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:37 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
ConLaw2017 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
ConLaw2017 wrote:I have messaged everyone on this thread. I believe it is in everyone's interest to comply.

(developing social skills)


Maybe that message was a tad bit brass. But you are not including the context in which it was sent. Yesterday I literally had to convince multiple people that African-Americans are entitled to human dignity. Apparently, this proposition was not self-evident to them. These same people asked me to delete my posts because they felt I was too explicit in my statements. But instead of just stopping, they continued to post and make it seem as if there was no foul play on anyone's part except my own. If you were dealing with someone this irritating, you would not be pleasant with them either.

You didn't have to convince anyone that AAs are entitled to human dignity. You spoke very vaguely about what was happening at your firm and got into a philosophical debate with another user. No one questions whether AAs are entitled to human dignity, they just may not agree with you about what that translates to in a NY biglaw firm.

In thread the only person who asked you to delete stuff was simply making a suggestion for your own benefit based on the amount of information you revealed about yourself. It is possible to find your LinkedIn based on that info. Unless someone PMed you something else, that was the only reason to delete your posts.


Like Nony said, I only suggested you delete your posts for your own good (no sinister ulterior motive, I promise). It took me 2 seconds to figure out who you are, which means that there are by now many others who have as well. You think people in your program don't read TLS? Your threads have been such train wrecks that they are guaranteed to become the subject of gossip, and your posts are going to be permanently memorialized on this board. I wouldn't be surprised if your classmates at YLS eventually find out about this either. Please think about the liability this poses for your future career.
Look, I don't doubt some people have done shitty things to you at your firm (because Big Law is Big Law), but please realize you're not helping yourself in any way here.

User avatar
elendinel
Posts: 970
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: HYS Appellate Advice

Postby elendinel » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:17 pm

ConLaw2017 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
ConLaw2017 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
ConLaw2017 wrote:I have messaged everyone on this thread. I believe it is in everyone's interest to comply.

(developing social skills)


Maybe that message was a tad bit brass. But you are not including the context in which it was sent. Yesterday I literally had to convince multiple people that African-Americans are entitled to human dignity. Apparently, this proposition was not self-evident to them. These same people asked me to delete my posts because they felt I was too explicit in my statements. But instead of just stopping, they continued to post and make it seem as if there was no foul play on anyone's part except my own. If you were dealing with someone this irritating, you would not be pleasant with them either.

You didn't have to convince anyone that AAs are entitled to human dignity. You spoke very vaguely about what was happening at your firm and got into a philosophical debate with another user. No one questions whether AAs are entitled to human dignity, they just may not agree with you about what that translates to in a NY biglaw firm.

In thread the only person who asked you to delete stuff was simply making a suggestion for your own benefit based on the amount of information you revealed about yourself. It is possible to find your LinkedIn based on that info. Unless someone PMed you something else, that was the only reason to delete your posts.


Some of my statements were vague. But, at least five people at some point tried to convince me that I was not entitled to basic human dignity and respect from other people. That's too far by any stretch of the matter.


Literally no one told you that you are not entitled to basic human dignity and respect. What people told you is that just because you deserve both, doesn't mean everyone's always going to give it to you. You need to learn how to cope with those people who don't without destroying your relationships with people at work, and you need to learn not to take it personally when people don't treat you with the utmost respect. Because if you don't learn you won't advance.

This is where learning basic social skills come into play.

ConLaw2017
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:59 pm

Re: HYS Appellate Advice

Postby ConLaw2017 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:17 pm

.

fredfred
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: HYS Appellate Advice

Postby fredfred » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:22 pm

still waiting for a reply to my previous questions

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5632
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: HYS Appellate Advice

Postby rpupkin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:03 pm

fredfred wrote:still waiting for a reply to my previous questions

OP believes that various posters on TLS are lawyers at his summer firm who are engaged in some kind of online-psychological warfare against him. See here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=278880&start=100

I first thought this was a semi-amusing troll job, but—based on his two new threads this weekend—OP might be serious. It's sad. We're not dealing with the typical naive 0L; we're dealing with someone who may have actual mental health issues. I don't think it's productive to insist that OP respond to your questions.

fredfred
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: HYS Appellate Advice

Postby fredfred » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:09 pm

rpupkin wrote:
fredfred wrote:still waiting for a reply to my previous questions

OP believes that various posters on TLS are lawyers at his summer firm who are engaged in some kind of online-psychological warfare against him. See here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=278880&start=100

I first thought this was a semi-amusing troll job, but—based on his two new threads this weekend—OP might be serious. It's sad. We're not dealing with the typical naive 0L; we're dealing with someone who may have actual mental health issues. I don't think it's productive to insist that OP respond to your questions.


Thanks for the link. Yeah I agree, I think its clear OP should seek some professional help before going to law school. OP I wish you the best. As someone who has a close friend with mental health challenges, the best thing you can do is go see a professional. It makes a difference.

iluvlawschool
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: HYS Appellate Advice

Postby iluvlawschool » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:21 am

Hopefully OP stays off TLS for some time and can make amends with his firm because this has already spread amongst others outside of this community. The most important thing I've learned this summer is how small the legal community is and how quickly gossip can spread throughout the community.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Ryanromano and 3 guests