Need help: do law schools teach for BAR

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chance79

New

Need help: do law schools teach for BAR

Postby chance79 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:09 am

Hello everyone, I have recently been offered admission into St. Johns, Stetson,& American JD program. I want to accept the St. Johns offer but my long term goals are to work in my home state of Florida. I understand that the Florida bar has both a multi state portion and a Florida centered portion. My main questions are :

1. will i be able to apply for the Florida bar( or any other state for that matter) with an out of state JD?
2. If I can take the fl bar with an out of state JD, will I be at a disadvantage to students who have a Florida degree?

I have no idea whether law schools pay attention to state/case law that might be featured on the bar for their respective states.

Thank you for your answers

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Need help: do law schools teach for BAR

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:54 am

No idea why you felt the need to post this in two separate forums, especially with a different subject line.

Some law schools directly teach their students for the bar exam. Most don't, and rely on you to do your own prep work for the test. That should be the last question on your mind when applying.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Postby Winter is Coming » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:01 pm

It has nothing to do with taking the Bar, but for employment purposes you really need to go to a school in your target market (unless you are going to a great, national T-14 school). The schools you are listing are hyper-regional and generally have very poor employment prospects to begin with. Getting a job in Florida from St. Johns or American will be extremely difficult, if not impossible. It will also be hard to get a job out of Stetson, but at least you will be in state to hustle and for networking purposes. You need to be looking at prices of these schools versus their employment statistics and what locations they place graduates in.

chance79

New

Postby chance79 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:17 pm

Winter is coming, thank you for your response. Gives me a lot to consider. Cavalier, I posted on two separate forums with different subject headers because I wast sure if I was reaching the correct audience and I am new to this forum. No need to be rude.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:23 pm

chance79 wrote:Winter is coming, thank you for your response. Gives me a lot to consider. Cavalier, I posted on two separate forums with different subject headers because I wast sure if I was reaching the correct audience and I am new to this forum. No need to be rude.

You're welcome for the answer. Incidentally, you posted this in three separate forums as a copy/paste job and clearly didn't bother reading any of the "Read here before posting" guidelines. Being new to the forums only excuses silly questions, not generally bad online etiquette like spamming the boards.

chance79

New

Postby chance79 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:36 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
chance79 wrote:Winter is coming, thank you for your response. Gives me a lot to consider. Cavalier, I posted on two separate forums with different subject headers because I wast sure if I was reaching the correct audience and I am new to this forum. No need to be rude.

You're welcome for the answer. Incidentally, you posted this in three separate forums as a copy/paste job and clearly didn't bother reading any of the "Read here before posting" guidelines. Being new to the forums only excuses silly questions, not generally bad online etiquette like spamming the boards.

lol ok

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:15 pm

My law school offered a decent barre class

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?