End Game: London

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
GoLandcrabs
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:07 am

End Game: London

Postby GoLandcrabs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:47 pm

I was wondering if this was a possible route I could go, assuming everything goes well with getting into top 14 and what not.

1. T14
2. Chicago Big Law (Tax? Not sure what field)
3. London

I am a 0L so assume I am completely clueless.

queso
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:56 am

Re: End Game: London

Postby queso » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:12 pm

GoLandcrabs wrote:I was wondering if this was a possible route I could go, assuming everything goes well with getting into top 14 and what not.

1. T14
2. Chicago Big Law (Tax? Not sure what field)
3. London

I am a 0L so assume I am completely clueless.


I did it. We also went to France for a week. Just make a separate savings account to save up for it.

foregetaboutdre
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:16 am

Re: End Game: London

Postby foregetaboutdre » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Of the people I know they went directly to London from law school. Bid on some magic circle/london offices during OCI.

I have never heard of Chi -> London.

Anonymous User
Posts: 285296
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: End Game: London

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
GoLandcrabs wrote:I was wondering if this was a possible route I could go, assuming everything goes well with getting into top 14 and what not.

1. T14
2. Chicago Big Law (Tax? Not sure what field)
3. London

I am a 0L so assume I am completely clueless.


I did it. We also went to France for a week. Just make a separate savings account to save up for it.

Well, obviously I meant permanent employment.

This is OP - accidental anon.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 285296
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: End Game: London

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:21 pm

foregetaboutdre wrote:Of the people I know they went directly to London from law school. Bid on some magic circle/london offices during OCI.

I have never heard of Chi -> London.

Huh, I thought you would need to have some experience?

For instance, Kirkland has a firm in Chicago. They also have one in London - I'm assuming it's impossible to transfer?

I was unaware that London straight out of law school was even a possibility.

Anonymous User
Posts: 285296
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: End Game: London

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:27 pm

Some London offices directly hire from US law schools. If you are dead set on London, then you can start there.

GoLandcrabs
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:07 am

Re: End Game: London

Postby GoLandcrabs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Some London offices directly hire from US law schools. If you are dead set on London, then you can start there.

Do they most do so from T6 or T13?

How exclusive are they?

User avatar
jkpolk
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

Re: End Game: London

Postby jkpolk » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:30 pm

I knew two classmates who went directly overseas. It takes hustle and is not guaranteed. The magic circle firms that hired directly to London were very popular when I went through OCI (t14 and terrible at basketball).

What is way easier is splitting during your 2L summer. Get a job at a firm with a big London office and a big Chicago/New York office, ask to split your summer. At least where I'm at, you can then pick where you start, assuming you didn't burn the place down. This is not advertised for obvious reasons.
Last edited by jkpolk on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata
Posts: 1330
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: End Game: London

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:30 pm

Get into law school first . . .

Anonymous User
Posts: 285296
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: End Game: London

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:32 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Get into law school first . . .

I want to make sure I know what I'm looking at before I spend 30-40k.

Anonymous User
Posts: 285296
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: End Game: London

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:33 pm

jkpolk wrote:I knew two classmates who went directly overseas. It takes hustle and is not guaranteed. The magic circle firms that hired directly to London were very popular when I went through OCI (t14 and terrible at basketball).

What is way easier is splitting during your 2L summer. Get a job at a firm with a big London office and a big Chicago/New York office, ask to split your summer. At least where I'm at, you can then pick where you start, assuming you didn't burn the place down. This is not advertised for obvious reasons.

What do you mean by "splitting"? Splitting time during 2L internship between their offices? I know Chicago has firms with London offices, so I could try that if I reach that point.

User avatar
lymenheimer
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: End Game: London

Postby lymenheimer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:Get into law school first . . .

I want to make sure I know what I'm looking at before I spend 30-40k.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=170603

Anonymous User
Posts: 285296
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: End Game: London

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:36 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:Get into law school first . . .

I want to make sure I know what I'm looking at before I spend 30-40k.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=170603

I'll take that there then. Delete this thread pls.

User avatar
nunumaster
Posts: 916
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:11 am

Re: End Game: London

Postby nunumaster » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Bunch of people I know are going to London directly from law school, though in my personal opinion, you're probably better off getting US trained for a year or two before moving.

Anonymous User
Posts: 285296
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: End Game: London

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:52 pm

T13 --> NYC for a couple years doing capital markets --> London is a relatively common path. The one you described is not.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 19353
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: End Game: London

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:53 pm

Moved to appropriate forum.

Reminder: the legal employment forum is not for 0Ls.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 17089
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: End Game: London

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T13 --> NYC for a couple years doing capital markets --> London is a relatively common path. The one you described is not.

I know someone without London connections who went NY tax to London tax at the same firm, but agree it's not the best practice area for a London end game.

OP you may want to check out this thread in which a London transactional partner answers questions:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=274801&hilit=london

tomwatts
Posts: 1633
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: End Game: London

Postby tomwatts » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For instance, Kirkland has a firm in Chicago. They also have one in London - I'm assuming it's impossible to transfer?

I was unaware that London straight out of law school was even a possibility.

The friend of mine who went HLS -> biglaw in London went to Kirkland. I think he does just general transactional stuff. It's definitely possible, but I don't think there are a ton of jobs. Grades are probably not a major issue; he did fine, but he didn't have especially strong grades. I don't actually know what they select for, then. He's Canadian and is probably the most well-traveled person I've ever met, and that probably had something to do with it.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 27020
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: End Game: London

Postby Nebby » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Only London laterals I know of went NY biglaw to London. Chicago biglaw doesn't have much crossover with London work so you're likely to gain little experience in Chicago that would make you competitive for an inter- or intra-firm lateral.

katthegreat11
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: End Game: London

Postby katthegreat11 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:04 pm

No advice, just saying I want this too!! Not permanently per se, but for several years at least. Don't really have a plan right now of how to get there other than going to a T14 and immediately asking the career office about options. I don't know if I'll be able to practice my current field of interest (environmental) there, but I'm willing to sacrifice that to live abroad.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 27020
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: End Game: London

Postby Nebby » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:07 pm

katthegreat11 wrote:No advice, just saying I want this too!! Not permanently per se, but for several years at least. Don't really have a plan right now of how to get there other than going to a T14 and immediately asking the career office about options. I don't know if I'll be able to practice my current field of interest (environmental) there, but I'm willing to sacrifice that to live abroad.

You won't be able to practice enviro there.

katthegreat11
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: End Game: London

Postby katthegreat11 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:22 pm

Nebby wrote:
katthegreat11 wrote:No advice, just saying I want this too!! Not permanently per se, but for several years at least. Don't really have a plan right now of how to get there other than going to a T14 and immediately asking the career office about options. I don't know if I'll be able to practice my current field of interest (environmental) there, but I'm willing to sacrifice that to live abroad.

It will be difficult for you to find opportunities to practice enviro there.


FTFY

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 27020
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: End Game: London

Postby Nebby » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:29 pm

That's a can-do attitude! What would I, an environmental lawyer, know about where such law can be practiced. You will not be able to practice environmental law in the UK because you won't know UK enviro law. The type of work you, a US lawyer, would practice in London revolves around the financial industry. If they need someone to consult on UK or EU enviro law, they'll hire someone trained in such practice.

None of this is certain, but the chances of practicing enviro law in London as a US trained attorney are so low that I feel safe enough generalizing that you won't be able to do it.

katthegreat11
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: End Game: London

Postby katthegreat11 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:41 pm

Nebby wrote:That's a can-do attitude! What would I, an environmental lawyer, know about where such law can be practiced. You will not be able to practice environmental law in the UK because you won't know UK enviro law. The type of work you, a US lawyer, would practice in London revolves around the financial industry. If they need someone to consult on UK or EU enviro law, they'll hire someone trained in such practice.


I'm just wondering why you felt the need to speak in absolutes? Especially when I explicitly said "I don't know if I'll be able to practice my current field of interest (environmental) there, but I'm willing to sacrifice that to live abroad." I clearly am not 100% confident that I'll be able to do this, and fully recognize the strong possibility that I will not, but I'm going to at least try. Why you gotta shoot that down?

tomwatts
Posts: 1633
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: End Game: London

Postby tomwatts » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:15 pm

katthegreat11 wrote:I'm just wondering why you felt the need to speak in absolutes? Especially when I explicitly said "I don't know if I'll be able to practice my current field of interest (environmental) there, but I'm willing to sacrifice that to live abroad." I clearly am not 100% confident that I'll be able to do this, and fully recognize the strong possibility that I will not, but I'm going to at least try. Why you gotta shoot that down?

I mean, you also could try to flap your arms so hard that you fly, but it's not going to work. The reason to speak in absolutes is that the job you're imagining probably doesn't exist. The overseas jobs for American lawyers are almost exclusively transactional in nature (big international corporate deals), but environmental law is almost exclusively litigation-based (actually going to court, which you can't do in a foreign country unless you're a member of the bar of that country). So I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are literally zero environmental law jobs in London available to American lawyers. You'd be well served by finding out if this is a thing that anyone actually does, because it probably isn't. (Even if it is a thing that anyone does, the next step is to figure out whether you could conceivably ever get hired to do it.)




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: annon2933, Baidu [Spider], The_Pluviophile, White Dwarf and 11 guests