Patent Law with CS Degree but no experience

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
170orDie
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:04 am

Patent Law with CS Degree but no experience

Postby 170orDie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:22 am

I am currently accepted into a couple law schools, and I have a few questions. So far I am into a top-20 law school and a top-30 school which is also the top school in my region.
My first question/concern is that I am heading to law school with no work experience. I am eligible to sit for the patent bar under the category B requirements, however, will this lack of experience come to haunt me? I am hoping to join a top firm/patent boutique once I graduate, but I also know many new patent attorneys have extensive work experience in their field. My fear is that my BS in Computer Science will not be enough for many employers.
Secondly, I was wondering what your opinions were as far as choosing a school. I am currently waitlisted at a couple t-14, and I received a scholarship from the t-20 school, although the regional school is still cheaper. Is the prestige of the t-20 school worth the few thousand per year extra? It is to my understanding that the patent field seems less obsessed with law school rankings.
Thank you in advance for your answers!

170orDie
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:04 am

Re: Patent Law with CS Degree but no experience

Postby 170orDie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:23 am

Any help?

redtalun
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: Patent Law with CS Degree but no experience

Postby redtalun » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:51 am

1) No WE is fine - the way I would describe it is that a firm won't no-hire you for a lack of experience, but WE can get you hired if a firm has a specific need.

2) Depends what your goals are. If you want to practice in Texars and are in UT with $$ that's probably a better choice than GTTTown at sticker (or even some of the lower t13 schools). If you aren't sure where you want to work or value flexibility, go for t13.

170orDie
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:04 am

Re: Patent Law with CS Degree but no experience

Postby 170orDie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:35 am

redtalun wrote:1) No WE is fine - the way I would describe it is that a firm won't no-hire you for a lack of experience, but WE can get you hired if a firm has a specific need.

2) Depends what your goals are. If you want to practice in Texars and are in UT with $$ that's probably a better choice than GTTTown at sticker (or even some of the lower t13 schools). If you aren't sure where you want to work or value flexibility, go for t13.


I'm looking to practice in the PNW, and as a far second perhaps LA. Not interested in staying in Texas. Would that push UT out of running for potential schools?

BobBoblaw
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:43 am

Re: Patent Law with CS Degree but no experience

Postby BobBoblaw » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:39 am

If you want PNW, UW should probably be your top choice outside of the t13.

redtalun
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: Patent Law with CS Degree but no experience

Postby redtalun » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:38 pm

170orDie wrote:
redtalun wrote:1) No WE is fine - the way I would describe it is that a firm won't no-hire you for a lack of experience, but WE can get you hired if a firm has a specific need.

2) Depends what your goals are. If you want to practice in Texars and are in UT with $$ that's probably a better choice than GTTTown at sticker (or even some of the lower t13 schools). If you aren't sure where you want to work or value flexibility, go for t13.


I'm looking to practice in the PNW, and as a far second perhaps LA. Not interested in staying in Texas. Would that push UT out of running for potential schools?

We should talk, send me a PM. I'm a UW alum with a EE background working in Seattle BL.

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 4009
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Patent Law with CS Degree but no experience

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:15 pm

BobBoblaw wrote:If you want PNW, UW should probably be your top choice outside of the t13.


UW's BL+FC is less than 20%. Going to UW as Biglaw or Bust is silly. Build ties to PNW, go to a better school, and hedge your bets OP. If you have a full ride, are okay with non-biglaw, and MUST work in the PNW, then go to UW.

Abbie Doobie
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: Patent Law with CS Degree but no experience

Postby Abbie Doobie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:17 am

170orDie wrote:My first question/concern is that I am heading to law school with no work experience. I am eligible to sit for the patent bar under the category B requirements, however, will this lack of experience come to haunt me? I am hoping to join a top firm/patent boutique once I graduate, but I also know many new patent attorneys have extensive work experience in their field. My fear is that my BS in Computer Science will not be enough for many employers.



that isn't what i have been seeing from new law grads within the past five years. in fact, i would estimate that candidates with extensive engineering experience are probably the smallest pool behind those that were patent examiners turned attorneys and those that have very little (e.g., an internship here and there) to no industry experience.

Bluem_11
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Patent Law with CS Degree but no experience

Postby Bluem_11 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:32 pm

170orDie wrote: It is to my understanding that the patent field seems less obsessed with law school rankings.
Thank you in advance for your answers!


If you get into prosecution this is correct. Litigation recruiting is more standard in terms of ranks/grades.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests