Help! Odds of being able to negotiate any scholarship from Michigan?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
brinicolec

Gold

Help! Odds of being able to negotiate any scholarship from Michigan?

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:47 am

So, my cycle hasn't been the prettiest within the T14 (a few rejections, a handful of WLs), but Michigan accepted me into summer start. I was really excited about it at first and then super-bummed when I got the email saying they weren't offering any aid (3.4 GPA, 167, URM so it was saddening, but not necessarily shocking). I have been accepted to GULC (pending scholarship), and basically all T15-T20 (with aid). Do I have any bargaining chips here that might be able to convince them to give me money? Would my best bet be to express interest in attending but concern about taking on that much debt? If I'm unable to negotiate, would I be insane to pay sticker?

I'm not retaking, though I appreciate the reasoning behind it. I simply do not want to sit out another cycle.

Thanks everyone.

Signed,
A super neurotic 0L who's losing her mind.

KMart

Gold

Re: Help! Odds of being able to negotiate any scholarship from Michigan?

Postby KMart » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:51 am

brinicolec wrote:So, my cycle hasn't been the prettiest within the T14 (a few rejections, a handful of WLs), but Michigan accepted me into summer start. I was really excited about it at first and then super-bummed when I got the email saying they weren't offering any aid (3.4 GPA, 167, URM so it was saddening, but not necessarily shocking). I have been accepted to GULC (pending scholarship), and basically all T15-T20 (with aid). Do I have any bargaining chips here that might be able to convince them to give me money? Would my best bet be to express interest in attending but concern about taking on that much debt? If I'm unable to negotiate, would I be insane to pay sticker?

I'm not retaking, though I appreciate the reasoning behind it. I simply do not want to sit out another cycle.

Thanks everyone.

Signed,

wait for GULC to give you any scholarship and then put your cards on the table. it might not work, but the worst thing they're going to say is no.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:54 am

KMart wrote:
brinicolec wrote:So, my cycle hasn't been the prettiest within the T14 (a few rejections, a handful of WLs), but Michigan accepted me into summer start. I was really excited about it at first and then super-bummed when I got the email saying they weren't offering any aid (3.4 GPA, 167, URM so it was saddening, but not necessarily shocking). I have been accepted to GULC (pending scholarship), and basically all T15-T20 (with aid). Do I have any bargaining chips here that might be able to convince them to give me money? Would my best bet be to express interest in attending but concern about taking on that much debt? If I'm unable to negotiate, would I be insane to pay sticker?

Thanks everyone.

Signed,

wait for GULC to give you any scholarship and then put your cards on the table. it might not work, but the worst thing they're going to say is no.

Would you say just mention GULC or also mention the other schools in the T20 range?

Also, if they say no, would you say that any discounted price for GULC is better than no discounted price for Michigan?

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:01 am

brinicolec wrote:Would you say just mention GULC or also mention the other schools in the T20 range?

Also, if they say no, would you say that any discounted price for GULC is better than no discounted price for Michigan?

i'd wait for GULC's offer and then give UM the offers you're considering on the table. it's really hard to tell: GULC at $10k, no; GULC at full ride, sure. it could also change on your goals

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:04 am

KMart wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Would you say just mention GULC or also mention the other schools in the T20 range?

i'd wait for GULC's offer and then give UM the offers you're considering on the table. it's really hard to tell: GULC at $10k, no; GULC at full ride, sure. it could also change on your goals

A full-ride from GULC is definitely not going to happen for me lol.

My goals would be to work in sports law, which I've realized is ultimately a way of saying I want sports-focused big law. . .

Edit: unless I could be an agent or something, that would be dope (and is a dream lol)

gsy987

Bronze

Postby gsy987 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:10 am

Thanks everyone.

Signed,

I just DM'ed you...but you'll probably get something! I had similar-ish stats (2 points higher on the LSAT but a lower GPA and not a URM), and I got into a similar range of schools as you (sub out GULC for Northwestern)... and I was able to negotiate a decent scholarship. The key is being persistent with the financial office, and meeting them in person during admitted students weekend can only help your case.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:13 am

gsy987 wrote:

Thanks everyone.

Signed,

I just DM'ed you...but you'll probably get something! I had similar-ish stats (2 points higher on the LSAT but a lower GPA and not a URM), and I got into a similar range of schools as you (sub out GULC for Northwestern)... and I was able to negotiate a decent scholarship. The key is being persistent with the financial office, and meeting them in person during admitted students weekend can only help your case.

Thank you! I won't be going to ASW because it overlaps with another one that is more affordable for me to attend (so a more reasonable choice atm), but I'm thinking I'll go on an individual visit within the next few weeks.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:08 pm

For what it's worth, I'm fairly certain most talent/sports agents don't have JDs.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:10 pm

somedeadman wrote:For what it's worth, I'm fairly certain most talent/sports agents don't have JDs.

I'm not necessarily talking about being an agent. Like I said, that's more of an unrealistic dream job than an actual possibility. I'm more realistically talking about working within a firm that works with leagues/teams/etc. Proskauer Rose is the first that comes to mind.

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Postby nyu2019maybeplease » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:41 am

Have you talked to admissions about a travel stipend for ASW? It's a thing. You'll get a great view of the campus if you come sometime once we're back in March, but I really can't recommend asw enough

brinicolec wrote:
gsy987 wrote:

Thanks everyone.

Signed,

Thank you! I won't be going to ASW because it overlaps with another one that is more affordable for me to attend (so a more reasonable choice atm), but I'm thinking I'll go on an individual visit within the next few weeks.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:11 am

nyu2019maybeplease wrote:Have you talked to admissions about a travel stipend for ASW? It's a thing. You'll get a great view of the campus if you come sometime once we're back in March, but I really can't recommend asw enough

brinicolec wrote:
gsy987 wrote:

Thanks everyone.

Signed,

I meant the school itself is more affordable, not asw. Sorry, should've been clearer lol.

If anything, I may go to the April asw for Michigan if I still feel unsure after visiting

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:29 am

brinicolec wrote: I may go to the April asw for Michigan if I still feel unsure after visiting

does Michigan reimburse? might help offset some of the cost if you visit during ASW

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:40 am

KMart wrote:
brinicolec wrote: I may go to the April asw for Michigan if I still feel unsure after visiting

does Michigan reimburse? might help offset some of the cost if you visit during ASW

I'm not sure. But like I said, I mean that Michigan isn't affordable for me to actually attend right now, so I chose to go to a school that I know if affordable to attend that has ASW the same time as Michigan's first ASW. Flight's already booked so I can't cancel it without losing money lol.

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:02 am

brinicolec wrote:
KMart wrote:

I'm not sure. But like I said, I mean that Michigan isn't affordable for me to actually attend right now, so I chose to go to a school that I know if affordable to attend that has ASW the same time as Michigan's first ASW. Flight's already booked so I can't cancel it without losing money lol.

ah, i see. i misread and thought you meant affordable to visit

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:04 am

KMart wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
KMart wrote:

ah, i see. i misread and thought you meant affordable to visit

Yeah. No worries, I'll still be visiting, just not during ASW unfortunately. Either way, I'm sitting in on a class, taking a tour, and have emailed and asked if it would be possible to make an appointment with fin aid folks so, while it obviously won't be the same as attending ASW, I'm trying to make sure I do the things that will help me make a decision regarding attending.

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:06 am

brinicolec wrote:Yeah. No worries, I'll still be visiting, just not during ASW unfortunately. Either way, I'm sitting in on a class, taking a tour, and have emailed and asked if it would be possible to make an appointment with fin aid folks so, while it obviously won't be the same as attending ASW, I'm trying to make sure I do the things that will help me make a decision regarding attending.

michigan's wonderful. the class i sat in on was wonderful. everyone was very kind. enjoy yourself!

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:09 am

KMart wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Yeah. No worries, I'll still be visiting, just not during ASW unfortunately. Either way, I'm sitting in on a class, taking a tour, and have emailed and asked if it would be possible to make an appointment with fin aid folks so, while it obviously won't be the same as attending ASW, I'm trying to make sure I do the things that will help me make a decision regarding attending.

michigan's wonderful. the class i sat in on was wonderful. everyone was very kind. enjoy yourself!

Thank you! Assuming that I don't get some strange negative vibe/feel like I'd hate it (which, based on what everyone else says about Michigan, is highly unlikely) and I'm able to get some amount of aid after talking with fin aid folks, showing them offers from other schools, and expressing my interest in going but my concern with paying sticker (and NU doesn't throw any curveballs my way that complicate things), I imagine it's where I'll end up. I really do think I'd like the culture at the school. That ~ sticker ~ pill is definitely super hard to swallow though lol

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:04 am

Tag. Probably going to have to negotiate hard with Mich at ASW myself :/

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?