0L, graduated semester early from UG, home until August

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
GOODWORKSTE

New

0L, graduated semester early from UG, home until August

Postby GOODWORKSTE » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:20 am

I've been scouring this forum, reading all the advice threads on the 'TLS collected wisdom' thread. So I have a basic sense, a rough outline, of what I need to do between now and August to prepare for school. But I have so much free time and I really do not want to waste it, so can you guys give me some definitive advice on how I should use the next 5 to 6 months to prepare for LS?

FYI, I will be working at a local law firm for about three months, so I will be busy during the day. Aside from that, I've been getting back into reading prolifically in my spare time (mostly on subjects i've neglected in LS, or have a curiosity in). Don't worry, I have read 0L (Turrow) and have GTM waiting for me. Should I get started on hornbooks/E&Es any other supplements?

What about LEEWS? None of the threads on here have been helpful about that. Can someone explain to me what it is, how it works?

Thanks!

KMart

Gold

Re: 0L, graduated semester early from UG, home until August

Postby KMart » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:48 am

relax. that's the best thing you can do to prepare. i read a lot the summer before law school too, but it was for my own enjoyment rather than to prepare for 1L.

3pianists

Bronze

Postby 3pianists » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:45 pm

Current 1L here. I would say don't stress about it. A few things you can think about, though, in a very not-stressing-about-it way:
- Learn all you can from your law firm job. I worked at a podunk law firm in my hometown this past summer, mostly filing documents at court offices. I read them all as I was dropping them off, and knowing the basic idea of what a complaint, answer, motion, order, and affidavit look like (plus how service of process works) made civ pro make so much more sense to me than to many of my classmates with much less work. Also, make real efforts to connect with the attorneys and view them as part of your professional network.
- Research your law school. You can start figuring out what kind of practice you're interested in and which professors you should make an effort to connect with, as well as opportunities you want to start pursuing immediately. Connect with current students and get the skinny on how things work.
- Depending on your academic background, a general book about the legal system could be helpful--just for a sense of how courts are structured and work.
- A lot of people will disagree with me here, I suspect, but I do think there's value in having read a decent number of opinions prior to starting law school. You'll learn so much in your first weeks that it'll quickly eclipse whatever you brought to the table; still, the faster you can start dialing into how legal reasoning works, the better off you'll be. I would recommend reading a couple of recent SCOTUS opinions per week. If you keep that up for a few months, I really suspect you'll be happy about it when you start law school. Plus, it's enjoyable and will keep you informed on current legal developments. But honestly, don't try to teach yourself substantive law. That's not worth your time at this point.
- If you're like me and have very little experience writing cover letters, learn about that this summer. It sucks to try to figure out how to write a cover letter and which jobs you want to apply to and how everything works while you're also trying to learn how to outline and do legal research. That's some good, substantive learning you can do now that really will make your life easier when you need to apply for 1L jobs next December.

Reading GTM was the only intentional prep I did. It was incredibly helpful for forming my approach to reading, studying, and of course taking exams. Definitely make at least one careful pass through it before starting law school.

Other than that, enjoy your life. Maybe do some traveling. Get fit. Don't waste your time and energy stressing about law school. :wink:

GoneSouth

Bronze

Postby GoneSouth » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:21 am

I read a lot of SCOTUS opinions before law school and felt like it gave me a big leg up on 1L. But if it's not something you're interested in, I don't think you have to force it

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:23 pm

GoneSouth wrote:I read a lot of SCOTUS opinions before law school and felt like it gave me a big leg up on 1L. But if it's not something you're interested in, I don't think you have to force it

How many opinions a week did you read? I'm pretty sure I have never read an opinion, so this sounds like something I should do.

Civilservant

New

Postby Civilservant » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:01 pm

I don't look back on my 22 year old self and think: "damn I wish I read more law school supplements." Down the line, you will have the stress of law school, the job search, your first job, career changes, family issues, etc. I would probably go out a lot, have fun, and prep for a week or so before school starts up.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Postby GoneSouth » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:27 am

somedeadman wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:I read a lot of SCOTUS opinions before law school and felt like it gave me a big leg up on 1L. But if it's not something you're interested in, I don't think you have to force it

How many opinions a week did you read? I'm pretty sure I have never read an opinion, so this sounds like something I should do.

I wouldn't think of it as "opinions per week", more just try to get plugged in to the legal scene. If you're reading a news story about a Supreme Court case (or circuit court case, like the Muslim ban decision), read the news story all the way through to get a gist of what's going on and then go read the actual opinion. You probably won't understand everything at first, but the more you read, the more you'll start to pick up on concepts that repeat in different cases (like jurisdiction, standard of review, etc.). Any knowledge of this stuff that you have going into school can only help.

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:27 am

GoneSouth wrote:
somedeadman wrote:

I wouldn't think of it as "opinions per week", more just try to get plugged in to the legal scene. If you're reading a news story about a Supreme Court case (or circuit court case, like the Muslim ban decision), read the news story all the way through to get a gist of what's going on and then go read the actual opinion. You probably won't understand everything at first, but the more you read, the more you'll start to pick up on concepts that repeat in different cases (like jurisdiction, standard of review, etc.). Any knowledge of this stuff that you have going into school can only help.

Meh. I'd just live life and have fun. You'll read plenty of cases in school. No need to jump on it now.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Postby GoneSouth » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:
somedeadman wrote:

Meh. I'd just live life and have fun. You'll read plenty of cases in school. No need to jump on it now.

This is not a wrong answer, but I will say that I'm confident that having read a number of cases before law school significantly helped my 1L grades. I also found them generally interesting though, so I would agree that you shouldn't force it if you would rather be doing other things.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:50 am

GoneSouth wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:
somedeadman wrote:

This is not a wrong answer, but I will say that I'm confident that having read a number of cases before law school significantly helped my 1L grades. I also found them generally interesting though, so I would agree that you shouldn't force it if you would rather be doing other things.

I'll definitely read some cases. Also heard that I should give up caffeine a few months before.

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:52 am

You may be overthinking this.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:58 am

This thread makes me sad

RIP early twenties RIP

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:43 am

HuntedUnicorn wrote:This thread makes me sad

RIP early twenties RIP

Dcc617 wrote:You may be overthinking this.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:43 am

KMart wrote:

RIP early twenties RIP

Dcc617 wrote:You may be overthinking this.

Good call. Fixed.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:35 am

Why on earth would you give up caffeine before starting law school?

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:49 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Why on earth would you give up caffeine before starting law school?

my guess is so when OP drinks coffee during law school it's more effective

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:52 pm

KMart wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Why on earth would you give up caffeine before starting law school?

my guess is so when OP drinks coffee during law school it's more effective

This

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:53 pm

RIP early twenties RIP

I'd imagine it's not too difficult to read a few Supreme Court opinions while enjoying your time before school starts ;)

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:02 pm

somedeadman wrote:

RIP early twenties RIP

I'd imagine it's not too difficult to read a few Supreme Court opinions while enjoying your time before school starts ;)

I'm not a big proponent of K-JDing. Supreme Court opinions are fine (I would listen to the More Perfect podcast by radiolab, personally)

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:13 pm

HuntedUnicorn wrote:
somedeadman wrote:

RIP early twenties RIP

I'm not a big proponent of K-JDing. Supreme Court opinions are fine (I would listen to the More Perfect podcast by radiolab, personally)

Thankfully I'm not a k-JD. I'll make sure to check out the podcast

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:19 pm

somedeadman wrote:
HuntedUnicorn wrote:
somedeadman wrote:

RIP early twenties RIP

yeah but I was doing the RIP schtick in response to the idea of OP wasting the last few free months of his/her life working at a law firm during the day and then prepping for law school after work and then doing the k-jd thing RIP 20s this makes me so sad I can't even type anymore

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:23 pm

HuntedUnicorn wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
HuntedUnicorn wrote:
somedeadman wrote:

RIP early twenties RIP

yeah but I was doing the RIP schtick in response to the idea of OP wasting the last few free months of his/her life working at a law firm during the day and then prepping for law school after work and then doing the k-jd thing RIP 20s this makes me so sad I can't even type anymore

Oh gotcha. For whatever reason I thought you were responding to the idea of prepping in general.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:31 pm

For what it's worth I don't think it's very useful and taken to extremes can be counterproductive but yeah no harm reading a few cases if that gets your juices going.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?