Georgia State U Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Connelly

Re: Georgia State U Law

Postby Connelly » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:35 pm

I am in the PT program at GSU, so please forgive my bias. Since I am still in the program, I cannot comment on my experiences trying to find employment with a GSU degree. My reasons for attending GSU and what I have experienced so far might be helpful, however.

GSU was the obvious choice for my situation. To find a higher ranked PT program, I would have had to have gone to a much larger city and likely paid much more for my education. If FT programs had been an option for me, I might have made another choice. The option of in-state tuition is huge. $8k a year for law school (PT) is difficult to beat. You should be able to get in-state tuition after 1 year of residency, or if you are with an employer from another state that transfers you to one of their locations in Georgia, you can get in-state tuition from day one.

The employment statistics did not frighten me in my situation. For some numbers on the subject, go here: http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/composite.pdf If your heart is set on biglaw, then you might have some difficulty. Before attending, I poked around on the websites of the big firms with offices in Atlanta, and nearly all of them (including the biggest ones) had GSU grads. Not a plethora of GSU grads, but it is possible to get into about any big firm in Atlanta from GSU, given the grades. If you're happy living around Atlanta, then GSU is a great value. The reputation is great in the Atlanta area but likely does not extend much farther. My situation is also somewhat different, in that I had a decent job to begin with that would only be aided by a JD in the long run. So, worst case scenario (hopefully :lol: ) I can graduate, stay in my current job, and likely still be making at least as much as most new GSU law grads on average. Since I have a fallback plan, it's not that much of a risk for me.

There was a question about transferring. I cannot help you on the feasibility of doing so, but I can remind you of one thing - if you're in shape to transfer somewhere like Emory, you are likely around the top 10% at GSU anyway. At that point, you are easily in the running for about any job (including biglaw) in ATL you want. There may be some advantages to transferring, yes, but just remember that if you are even able to do so, you already have some great options.

There was also a question about other PT law programs in the Atlanta area. The only other one is John Marhsall, which costs 3-4 times as much as GSU (comparing in-state tuition for GSU) and is ranked nowhere near GSU (GSU is #77 in the USNWR rankings, if I recall, and has been on an upward trajectory). GSU also seems to have a much better reputation in Atlanta, but that is from the few subjective reports I have heard.

Even as a PT student, I felt extremely welcomed by GSU. The professors and administration really seem to care about the students, and they don't put their second stringers in to teach the night courses. I have zero complaints about anyone I have encountered working for the law school.

The facilities...well let me start with the good news. :lol: They will be building a new law school soon, and I'm sure the admissions staff can give you an idea of what year it should be done (my recollection is that it will be done before anybody here considering GSU is done with law school). I have not dealt with the library flooding, but that does not surprise me. The law school has a very institutional feel to it - not a pretty building by my standards. The library has never been missing anything I have looked for, so it is difficult to complain about its offerings. Whoever designed the library seemed to completely forget about bathrooms, though, as they seem to have been added as an afterthought in any oddly shaped corner they could fit them in. It is the public law library of Atlanta, so you will occasionally see non-students there. There are some other advantages of the library that I would be willing to share via PM. However, I don't quite understand the focus on facilities other than perhaps what the library has to offer, and that is even limited considering how much work can be done online. I would rather pay a higher tuition to see them try to lure in better professors than to build me a feng shui facility to hang out in.

GSU is a major commuter school. More so for the grad schools. Even much more so for the PT law students. I live in the midtown area and take MARTA to school. I walk to work, so I don't even use a car at this point. There is a definite lack of places to eat outside of business hours.

Overall, the best sales pitch for GSU is value. Crunch the numbers and see what your risk for each school will be. GSU will be competitive on the FT level when it comes to value, and essentially dominates in the southeast (and perhaps many other areas of the country) when it comes to PT value.

bella16

Postby bella16 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:44 pm

Thanks for providing the insights! The new law school is not expected to break ground until at least 2011 and will be housed with the new Buisness school. In reference to facilities, you get what you pay for sometimes. Even considering low tuition you should still get decent facilities. Also, would you happen to have a link or any source of info as to some of the largest firms that have GSU grads? I spoke to a career rep from GSU and they stated you had to be in the top 5-10% to get a job at any of the big firms in Atl.

Connelly

Postby Connelly » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:08 pm

bella16 wrote:Thanks for providing the insights! The new law school is not expected to break ground until at least 2011 and will be housed with the new Buisness school. In reference to facilities, you get what you pay for sometimes. Even considering low tuition you should still get decent facilities. Also, would you happen to have a link or any source of info as to some of the largest firms that have GSU grads? I spoke to a career rep from GSU and they stated you had to be in the top 5-10% to get a job at any of the big firms in Atl.

Google "large law firms" or similar and you should be able to get a list of the top 250 firms. It is a few years old, so mergers have changed a few of the firms, but not many. There is a list out there that you can sort by main office. Sort and look at the firms based in Atlanta (K&S, A&B, etc.). They have links to their websites. Nearly every law firm website has a search tool for their attorneys that includes searching by law school attended. Do a search for the attorneys that went to Georgia State University. It's pretty straightforward.

bella16

Postby bella16 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:11 pm

Connelly wrote:
bella16 wrote:Thanks for providing the insights! The new law school is not expected to break ground until at least 2011 and will be housed with the new Buisness school. In reference to facilities, you get what you pay for sometimes. Even considering low tuition you should still get decent facilities. Also, would you happen to have a link or any source of info as to some of the largest firms that have GSU grads? I spoke to a career rep from GSU and they stated you had to be in the top 5-10% to get a job at any of the big firms in Atl.

Google "large law firms" or similar and you should be able to get a list of the top 250 firms. It is a few years old, so mergers have changed a few of the firms, but not many. There is a list out there that you can sort by main office. Sort and look at the firms based in Atlanta (K&S, A&B, etc.). They have links to their websites. Nearly every law firm website has a search tool for their attorneys that includes searching by law school attended. Do a search for the attorneys that went to Georgia State University. It's pretty straightforward.

I did. The firms I found only had grads from Emory and UGA

Connelly

Postby Connelly » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:32 pm

bella16 wrote:I did. The firms I found only had grads from Emory and UGA

I think these links will work:

King & Spalding

http://www.kslaw.com/portal/server.pt?s ... p=&us_cp=0

Alston & Bird

http://www.alston.com/professionals/Lis ... 0a8726567f

Kilpatrick Stockton

--LinkRemoved--

Troutman Sanders

http://www.troutmansanders.com/attorney ... 32b0e15c1f

If the links don't work, let me know. Not all of the hits they bring back are GSU Law grads, but most of them are (some of the hits are from people who attended GSU for undergrad or another graduate degree).

These are the four largest law firms based out of Atlanta, and there are 15-30 GSU law grads at each one. Obviously not UGA or Emory numbers, but not not-existent either.

bella16

Postby bella16 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:34 pm

Connelly wrote:

King & Spalding

Alston & Bird

Kilpatrick Stockton

--LinkRemoved--

Troutman Sanders

If the links don't work, let me know. Not all of the hits they bring back are GSU Law grads, but most of them are (some of the hits are from people who attended GSU for undergrad or another graduate degree).

These are the four largest law firms based out of Atlanta, and there are 15-30 GSU law grads at each one. Obviously not UGA or Emory numbers, but not not-existent either.

Awesome! I looked at Troutman but maybe I'm doing my search wrong. Thanks!

jennylynn

Postby jennylynn » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:32 pm

Did GSU send you guys a status checker? I haven't heard anything from them, which I thought was kinda strange since GSU is one of my safeties.

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:17 pm

jennylynn wrote:Did GSU send you guys a status checker? I haven't heard anything from them, which I thought was kinda strange since GSU is one of my safeties.

I haven't received one either.

jennylynn

Postby jennylynn » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:48 pm

Okay...maybe they don't send them out. I'll stop being paranoid now. :wink:

Connelly

Postby Connelly » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:37 am

Are you able to check your application status online? Even if you are, that system is often not updated very quickly. If I remember correctly, I don't think I was "complete" for quite a long time online, and then I called about it to check on it. The lady I spoke with told me that I was, in fact, complete. I believe I then received an acceptance later soon after. It's worth a call to make sure everything's okay.

When you call the main number at the law school, you'll generally get someone who is in an assistant administrative role. Remember that while this person will likely not have a JD or directly impact you admissions decision that they are likely the gatekeeper for those that do make the decisions. Also consider that it is a person that you will likely have to deal with regularly while you are at the school, so no matter your impression of them on the phone, be considerate of their time and help.

jms31

Postby jms31 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:54 am

GA State seems logical for me for several reasons. My dilema is that if I decide when I graduate I don't want to stay in Atlanta and relocate to the FL panhandle. Is GA State still a good option? I know FL State is probably a better option, but my situation may make it difficult to relocate.

Thoughts?

jms31

Postby jms31 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:05 pm

Bump

savanna

Postby savanna » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:13 pm

Did anyone who applied to GSU get a strange letter yesterday about accepted students applying for an IP Law scholarship, and then a couple of hours later ANOTHER email that was basically a disclaimer saying that the previous email means only ACCEPTED students, and that you're informed whether you're accepted via the USPS?

Weird..it made me think maybe I got the email because I was already accepted, and just hadn't gotten the letter yet. Got my hopes up. :evil:

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:20 pm

savanna wrote:Did anyone who applied to GSU get a strange letter yesterday about accepted students applying for an IP Law scholarship, and then a couple of hours later ANOTHER email that was basically a disclaimer saying that the previous email means only ACCEPTED students, and that you're informed whether you're accepted via the USPS?

Weird..it made me think maybe I got the email because I was already accepted, and just hadn't gotten the letter yet. Got my hopes up. :evil:

haha yeah everyone got that. i didn't really think anything of it since i am already accepted. i don't have the background to do ip law, so i just decided i shouldn't apply for that scholarship. when i got the second email i thought...ouch. does this mean that we have to apply to be considered for any scholarship, or just this particular one?

DMNeece

Postby DMNeece » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:21 pm

I've been accepted and would love any more information anyone could supply...

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:49 am

Well the day I get accepted to GSU is the day I break up with my GF at Tech... looks like I am not going to return to GA after all lol...

jmfp

Postby jmfp » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Last edited by jmfp on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:47 pm

I find it hard to believe that Emory and UGA 3Ls are having the same difficulty as GSU 3Ls. All you have done is turn me further away from GSU.

deaddrunkandnaked

Postby deaddrunkandnaked » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:12 pm

jennylynn wrote:Did GSU send you guys a status checker? I haven't heard anything from them, which I thought was kinda strange since GSU is one of my safeties.

They seem pretty hopeless about this. They didn't send my an email about it, but I tried to log in anyway. Emailed admissions and then they sent my an email without my Panther ID number. Emailed them again and got back a message about they system being down or something. They then sent me another email with Panther ID number, I log in and there is really no information. Received 01/15. eligible for review, etc. Weird considering they are a safety for me and I would expect a decision soon or at least an "under review".

Jones, Dow

Postby Jones, Dow » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:29 pm

deaddrunkandnaked wrote:

They seem pretty hopeless about this. They didn't send my an email about it, but I tried to log in anyway. Emailed admissions and then they sent my an email without my Panther ID number. Emailed them again and got back a message about they system being down or something. They then sent me another email with Panther ID number, I log in and there is really no information. Received 01/15. eligible for review, etc. Weird considering they are a safety for me and I would expect a decision soon or at least an "under review".

http://law.gsu.edu/students/prospective/

Under quick links. You don't need a Panther ID number either.

wwarren

Postby wwarren » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:35 pm

Anyone have any indication about when they'll be deciding scholarships for GSU?

bella16

Postby bella16 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:22 pm

Alston & Bird came on campus to talk about diversity today and they said they love GSU grads. I think she said something like 18 of their partners are GSU alums. Just wanted to share :P

robespierre2012

Postby robespierre2012 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:20 pm

bella16 wrote:
Connelly wrote:

King & Spalding

Alston & Bird

Kilpatrick Stockton

--LinkRemoved--

Troutman Sanders

Awesome! I looked at Troutman but maybe I'm doing my search wrong. Thanks!

i looked at king and spalding and noticed that out of the 6-7 GSU grads I looked at, nearly all had some form of distinction, ie honors, cum laude, etc.

Connelly

Postby Connelly » Mon May 18, 2009 9:45 pm

robespierre2012 wrote:i looked at king and spalding and noticed that out of the 6-7 GSU grads I looked at, nearly all had some form of distinction, ie honors, cum laude, etc.

Yes, you need to do well at GSU to get these positions. Cum laude is roughly the top 25%. These are the top firms in Atlanta, some of which pay market rate (although that's in the crapper everywhere now :D ). It's just encouraging to know that if you do well at GSU that anything in Atlanta is a possibility. I was just encouraged to know that you didn't have to do law review to get there.

ugawarrent

Postby ugawarrent » Mon May 18, 2009 10:27 pm

Here is the NALP Law School Page:
http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/ndl ... 03&yr=2009

It has info on it about rank and GPA ranges (though the actual GPAs won't be of use to Class of 2012 - we're changing to 4.0 scale), including number of people who hit those marks. Best of luck to all!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”