Hearing Disability--how much is this going to affect me?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CatherineZetaScarn1

New

Hearing Disability--how much is this going to affect me?

Postby CatherineZetaScarn1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:24 pm

I have a hearing impairment called reverse slope hearing loss and at this point I've lost about 60% of my hearing and it will only continue to decline. The condition is the opposite of how people usually lose their hearing in that I lose the ability to hear low tones first. I've survived UG by reading lips and enrolling early so I don't have to take classes with male professors. I know law school is going to be a lot more difficult but has anyone ever experienced this before? Any tips on what I can do to handle this?

It's a while off but hopefully I can figure out what to do in the next few months to better prepare.

KMart

Gold

Re: Hearing Disability--how much is this going to affect me?

Postby KMart » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:14 am

if you're already enrolled you can talk to the school to see what, specifically, they can do. i know someone in my crim class 1L year just sat in the front and asked the professor to wear lipstick.

best of luck!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:49 am

I can't vouch for all schools, but I know that some will allow you to have a note-taker who takes notes (in case you miss anything) and then sends their notes to you. I'd speak to your school's disability services (usually in the dean of students office), as I am sure that at the very least they can ensure that you are in the front row - if not more than that.

rokiv

New

Postby rokiv » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:52 am

Also have a hearing impairment. 2L at (ND/WUSTL/Vandy)

If you haven't, i suggest looking into receiving Caption Access Real-Time Translation (CART) services. Most universities disability services will provide this for you. Makes participating in large lecture halls/cold calls much more manageable. Generally, most professors and students are fine, you''ll always have a few oddballs that haven't had much experience with disability and are uncomfortable. Don't let it get to you.

Feel free to PM if you have further questions about school, classes, OCI or whatever.

CatherineZetaScarn1

New

Postby CatherineZetaScarn1 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:21 am

Thank you all for your responses. This makes me feel a little better about what I'll be facing!

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?