Use of Computer?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Use of Computer?

Postby jjcorvino » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:32 pm

Hello, I have an question that I have not seen an answer to around her. I have a bit of a disability which makes my handwriting awful (I write very slowly and it is basically illegible). As such, I have always taken notes on my computer throughout undergrad, and I received an accommodation to be able to type all of my exams instead of handwriting them. I am worried that law school will not be the same. Are your exams typed or handwritten? If not, do law schools usually accommodate students like me at all?

Thank you for the help!

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Use of Computer?

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:39 pm

Every exam I took in law school was typed (or scantron if multiple choice)

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Use of Computer?

Postby jjcorvino » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:46 pm

BigZuck wrote:Every exam I took in law school was typed (or scantron if multiple choice)


Good to know, and there was no issue taking notes on your computer during class?

User avatar
emkay625

Gold
Posts: 1987
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Use of Computer?

Postby emkay625 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:55 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Every exam I took in law school was typed (or scantron if multiple choice)


Good to know, and there was no issue taking notes on your computer during class?


Some professors don't allow laptops in class. But if you've got a disability, just go talk to the dean of students, provide documentation, and they'll accommodate you.

browniestasty

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:19 pm

Re: Use of Computer?

Postby browniestasty » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:30 pm

I've never handwritten an exam but you might want to talk to the registrar's office or whoever to talk about what your backup plan is if your laptop goes down in the middle of an exam. The usual backup is handwriting but that obviously doesn't work for you.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive

Gold
Posts: 2398
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Use of Computer?

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:25 pm

Typing exams is the norm, and given your situation (documented + past accommodations) you should be able to type your notes in class, including those which are "no laptop" - just go through Disability Services (usually in the Dean of Students office).

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Use of Computer?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:28 pm

browniestasty wrote:I've never handwritten an exam but you might want to talk to the registrar's office or whoever to talk about what your backup plan is if your laptop goes down in the middle of an exam. The usual backup is handwriting but that obviously doesn't work for you.

At my school, if your laptop died, you went to the registrar and they gave you a backup laptop on which to finish your exam (we used Examsoft to make sure everything was verified and sent to the profs blind, so they didn't want you writing by hand).

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Use of Computer?

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:39 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
browniestasty wrote:I've never handwritten an exam but you might want to talk to the registrar's office or whoever to talk about what your backup plan is if your laptop goes down in the middle of an exam. The usual backup is handwriting but that obviously doesn't work for you.

At my school, if your laptop died, you went to the registrar and they gave you a backup laptop on which to finish your exam (we used Examsoft to make sure everything was verified and sent to the profs blind, so they didn't want you writing by hand).

Savage

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Use of Computer?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:40 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
browniestasty wrote:I've never handwritten an exam but you might want to talk to the registrar's office or whoever to talk about what your backup plan is if your laptop goes down in the middle of an exam. The usual backup is handwriting but that obviously doesn't work for you.

At my school, if your laptop died, you went to the registrar and they gave you a backup laptop on which to finish your exam (we used Examsoft to make sure everything was verified and sent to the profs blind, so they didn't want you writing by hand).

Savage

:?:

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Use of Computer?

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:42 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
browniestasty wrote:I've never handwritten an exam but you might want to talk to the registrar's office or whoever to talk about what your backup plan is if your laptop goes down in the middle of an exam. The usual backup is handwriting but that obviously doesn't work for you.

At my school, if your laptop died, you went to the registrar and they gave you a backup laptop on which to finish your exam (we used Examsoft to make sure everything was verified and sent to the profs blind, so they didn't want you writing by hand).

Savage

:?:

Oh. Wrong OP. Thought this was the degenerative sight guy. Ignore me.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Use of Computer?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:51 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
browniestasty wrote:I've never handwritten an exam but you might want to talk to the registrar's office or whoever to talk about what your backup plan is if your laptop goes down in the middle of an exam. The usual backup is handwriting but that obviously doesn't work for you.

At my school, if your laptop died, you went to the registrar and they gave you a backup laptop on which to finish your exam (we used Examsoft to make sure everything was verified and sent to the profs blind, so they didn't want you writing by hand).

Savage

:?:

Oh. Wrong OP. Thought this was the degenerative sight guy. Ignore me.

:lol:




(if it is I TOTALLY didn't mean it that way and absolutely apologize)

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Use of Computer?

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:45 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
browniestasty wrote:I've never handwritten an exam but you might want to talk to the registrar's office or whoever to talk about what your backup plan is if your laptop goes down in the middle of an exam. The usual backup is handwriting but that obviously doesn't work for you.

At my school, if your laptop died, you went to the registrar and they gave you a backup laptop on which to finish your exam (we used Examsoft to make sure everything was verified and sent to the profs blind, so they didn't want you writing by hand).

Savage

:?:

Oh. Wrong OP. Thought this was the degenerative sight guy. Ignore me.

:lol:




(if it is I TOTALLY didn't mean it that way and absolutely apologize)


Haha no, definitely not.

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Use of Computer?

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Typing exams is the norm, and given your situation (documented + past accommodations) you should be able to type your notes in class, including those which are "no laptop" - just go through Disability Services (usually in the Dean of Students office).


Thanks! I figured. My only issue is that my actual documentation for my disability is very old. I do not know if they would accept it (even though I used it in undergrad 3 years ago). I didn't want to go through the testing process again (very expensive and time consuming). Luckily the LSAT is all multiple choice and I just accepted that my writing sample would be awful :lol: .



Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests