Use of Computer?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jjcorvino

Silver

Use of Computer?

Postby jjcorvino » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:32 pm

Hello, I have an question that I have not seen an answer to around her. I have a bit of a disability which makes my handwriting awful (I write very slowly and it is basically illegible). As such, I have always taken notes on my computer throughout undergrad, and I received an accommodation to be able to type all of my exams instead of handwriting them. I am worried that law school will not be the same. Are your exams typed or handwritten? If not, do law schools usually accommodate students like me at all?

Thank you for the help!

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Use of Computer?

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:39 pm

Every exam I took in law school was typed (or scantron if multiple choice)

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:46 pm

BigZuck wrote:Every exam I took in law school was typed (or scantron if multiple choice)

Good to know, and there was no issue taking notes on your computer during class?

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:55 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Every exam I took in law school was typed (or scantron if multiple choice)

Good to know, and there was no issue taking notes on your computer during class?

Some professors don't allow laptops in class. But if you've got a disability, just go talk to the dean of students, provide documentation, and they'll accommodate you.

browniestasty

Bronze

Postby browniestasty » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:30 pm

I've never handwritten an exam but you might want to talk to the registrar's office or whoever to talk about what your backup plan is if your laptop goes down in the middle of an exam. The usual backup is handwriting but that obviously doesn't work for you.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:25 pm

Typing exams is the norm, and given your situation (documented + past accommodations) you should be able to type your notes in class, including those which are "no laptop" - just go through Disability Services (usually in the Dean of Students office).

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:28 pm

browniestasty wrote:I've never handwritten an exam but you might want to talk to the registrar's office or whoever to talk about what your backup plan is if your laptop goes down in the middle of an exam. The usual backup is handwriting but that obviously doesn't work for you.

At my school, if your laptop died, you went to the registrar and they gave you a backup laptop on which to finish your exam (we used Examsoft to make sure everything was verified and sent to the profs blind, so they didn't want you writing by hand).

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:39 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
browniestasty wrote:I've never handwritten an exam but you might want to talk to the registrar's office or whoever to talk about what your backup plan is if your laptop goes down in the middle of an exam. The usual backup is handwriting but that obviously doesn't work for you.

At my school, if your laptop died, you went to the registrar and they gave you a backup laptop on which to finish your exam (we used Examsoft to make sure everything was verified and sent to the profs blind, so they didn't want you writing by hand).

Savage

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:40 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Savage

:?:

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:42 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Savage

Oh. Wrong OP. Thought this was the degenerative sight guy. Ignore me.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:51 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Savage

:lol:

(if it is I TOTALLY didn't mean it that way and absolutely apologize)

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:45 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Savage

:lol:

(if it is I TOTALLY didn't mean it that way and absolutely apologize)

Haha no, definitely not.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Typing exams is the norm, and given your situation (documented + past accommodations) you should be able to type your notes in class, including those which are "no laptop" - just go through Disability Services (usually in the Dean of Students office).

Thanks! I figured. My only issue is that my actual documentation for my disability is very old. I do not know if they would accept it (even though I used it in undergrad 3 years ago). I didn't want to go through the testing process again (very expensive and time consuming). Luckily the LSAT is all multiple choice and I just accepted that my writing sample would be awful :lol: .

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?