Undergraduate Judicial Internship

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MDavid

New

Undergraduate Judicial Internship

Postby MDavid » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:56 pm

Is it rare that I got a federal judicial internship here in the northern district court of Texas? They only looked at my resume and I thought it was a long shot because I was in undergrad but the judge called me himself and we spoke over the phone! He offered me the internship and said I would get a ton of experience even though I could set my own hours. Btw I'm only 19. How rare would y'all say this is?

mjb447

Silver

Re: Undergraduate Judicial Internship

Postby mjb447 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:20 pm

MDavid wrote:Is it rare that I got a federal judicial internship here in the northern district court of Texas? They only looked at my resume and I thought it was a long shot because I was in undergrad but the judge called me himself and we spoke over the phone! He offered me the internship and said I would get a ton of experience even though I could set my own hours. Btw I'm only 19. How rare would y'all say this is?

I'd say relatively rare, but mostly because lots of judges don't bother with undergraduate interns: it's often hard to keep them busy and projects that require any legal experience or ability are beyond them. It's a great opportunity and good connection to cultivate, though. Sit in on lots of hearings etc. and do good work and your judge may serve as a good reference or recommender for you later on.

MDavid

New

Postby MDavid » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:27 pm

I have zero legal experience so it definitely came as a surprise!

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:34 pm

MDavid wrote:I have zero legal experience so it definitely came as a surprise!

That's pretty normal among undergrad interns. A lot of your work will probably be menial (the places I've worked used undergrad interns primarily to scan, organize, go through and throw away old files, etc.) but hopefully you'll also get a lot of exposure to court proceedings.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Postby GoneSouth » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:28 am

The "how rare is this?" question seems a bit like a non-question that's really fishing for a compliment. But I'll indulge.

Good for you. Regardless of what you do during the internship, having it on your resume will only help if you decide to apply to law school.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?