Thoughts on a unique strategy for success in 1L

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: Thoughts on a unique strategy for success in 1L

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:40 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Law school is of limited utility, but I think one of the things it does do is walk you into the whole legal thing.

OP, this is really the crux of why your idea isn't feasible.

In addition to having a professor and (probably) TAs who can answer questions for you, your 1L classmates are there to serve as resources. When we were covering difficult topics like the ones Nony brought up, our first course of action was to ask the TAs for clarification, and our second course was to talk to other students in the section, because even if you didn't quite understand what the professor was saying, odds are that one of your classmates did. Under your plan, you'd be "ghosting" the classes, and even if you didn't get your ass kicked out after a week, you wouldn't be able to rely on your classmates for help figuring out the harder points of law.

Also, maybe it's just schools in urban environments, but don't these places check your ID before you go in the building? When I was shadowing some classes in Chicago, I had to get a pass from the admissions office.

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Postby TasmanianToucan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:15 am

I can't think of a better way to ensure burnout than to make law school a four year proposition, but that's just me. Also, if I essentially repeated the same year again I would personally find it impossible to pay attention the second time around, so I would probably miss things important to the particular professor, etc.

Hand

Gold

Postby Hand » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:05 pm

lol @ this thread

this is such a dumb idea

criminaltheory

Bronze

Postby criminaltheory » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:12 pm

I think what really sinks this idea is that once people realize it works, everyone will do it, and that basically undermines its advantage, which is premised on you being the only person in the class who does it.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:25 pm

or maybe if OP did ghost a class, OP would be able to avoid registering and going to Law School.

browniestasty

Bronze

Postby browniestasty » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:11 am

You'd do just as well finding old outlines and taking old exams online and asking someone to take a look at your answers.

It's what most law school students end up doing anyway when they say they are "outlining."

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:10 pm

I'll just add a thought about the cost of the strategy: you are losing an entire year of income and career progression.

Assuming a top law school outcome, that's ~$170,000 you are losing at the beginning.

But that's not even the real story. The real story is that the actual year you lose is at the end of your career- not at the beginning- so the income loss is actually much more.... probably hundreds of thousands.

Doesn't seem like a good investment to me.

criminaltheory

Bronze

Postby criminaltheory » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:10 am

Voyager wrote:I'll just add a thought about the cost of the strategy: you are losing an entire year of income and career progression.

Assuming a top law school outcome, that's ~$170,000 you are losing at the beginning.

But that's not even the real story. The real story is that the actual year you lose is at the end of your career- not at the beginning- so the income loss is actually much more.... probably hundreds of thousands.

Doesn't seem like a good investment to me.

This critique fails to consider that the alternative opportunity cost of this year is not the top income outcome but the service industry wages OP would earn if this strategy were not followed.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:42 pm

This would be weird as hell. Just study for the LSAT full time for a year and get a 180 or close to it if you have that kind of time to kill. If you go to a good enough school, you can get a BigLaw job by just having middle of the pack grades, which you'll probably get if you gun hard enough 1L.

Nagster5

Silver

Postby Nagster5 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:12 am

Pilloriedbrain

New

Postby Pilloriedbrain » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:35 am

no. just spend a good 8 hours a day studying whatever you are weakest at until there is nothing in the school material left you are weak at. so you are strong on the final test. you will get nothing out of a ghosting. you will waste your time. you will just be learning all this stuff twice. and it's not necessary when you could learn just take the class once and get an A. the approach is learning to identify the areas of the study material you are weak at, and then learning that material until you feel strong on that subject, then go to the next study topic.

tomwatts

Gold

Postby tomwatts » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:53 am

Why do people keep reviving this terrible thread.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?