St. Louis Legal Market Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
somedeadman

Bronze

St. Louis Legal Market

Post by somedeadman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Does anyone have knowledge what hiring is like in St. Louis, and/or know where I can find info about it?

sublime

Diamond

Re: St. Louis Legal Market

Post by sublime » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:06 pm

Are you from St. Louis?

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:30 pm

sublime wrote:Are you from St. Louis?
Yes

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:49 pm

somedeadman wrote:
Yes
That's a good start bc it is annoyingly insular. Look at the Wustl student q and a thread or look for their oci threads.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:36 pm

sublime wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Yes
That's a good start bc it is annoyingly insular. Look at the Wustl student q and a thread or look for their oci threads.
Awesome, definitely will do.

One lawyer told me the conventional wisdom of going to the best school I get into, as stl is always open to natives. Another person told me SLU because they hire their own

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:08 pm

somedeadman wrote:
sublime wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Yes

One lawyer told me the conventional wisdom of going to the best school I get into, as stl is always open to natives. Another person told me SLU because they hire their own
Yea, it's hard to say. I am a wustl grad mostly from out of state who didn't have much luck with the bigger firms in stl. Idk how open they are to natives returning as I didn't have that experience and I haven't really been paying much attention since I did oci more than two years ago. If you want stl I would guess try to either go to a t14 or stay for slu or wustl for cheap. If you want stl I don't see any compelling reason to go anywhere but those 16 schools and they may even be suspicious of a t14, but at least you would have fewer eggs in that basket. What are your stats?

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:58 pm

sublime wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
sublime wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Yes

Yea, it's hard to say. I am a wustl grad mostly from out of state who didn't have much luck with the bigger firms in stl. Idk how open they are to natives returning as I didn't have that experience and I haven't really been paying much attention since I did oci more than two years ago. If you want stl I would guess try to either go to a t14 or stay for slu or wustl for cheap. If you want stl I don't see any compelling reason to go anywhere but those 16 schools and they may even be suspicious of a t14, but at least you would have fewer eggs in that basket. What are your stats?
Deleted

Not sure exactly where I want to practice, but o do like stl
Last edited by somedeadman on Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:30 am

A vast majority of stl biglaw SAs are from Wustl/SLU, with some from Mizzou or something. That said, I think it's mostly self selection, and you definitely shouldn't turn down NU with money for wustl or sly or something. I know a bunch of people from WUSTL with 1L/2L SAs with stl biglaw, so I really don't think there is some overwhelming preference for SLU (4/5 of my 1L SA class was wustl). If you're from St. Louis and can convince an atty you would stay, you'll be fine. Go to a T14. NU might be better for stl than Cornell or something.

Unrelated, please take the scholly over 4-5 us news ranking slots.

Since you're not dead set on STL, definitely go to a T14.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:28 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:A vast majority of stl biglaw SAs are from Wustl/SLU, with some from Mizzou or something. That said, I think it's mostly self selection, and you definitely shouldn't turn down NU with money for wustl or sly or something. I know a bunch of people from WUSTL with 1L/2L SAs with stl biglaw, so I really don't think there is some overwhelming preference for SLU (4/5 of my 1L SA class was wustl). If you're from St. Louis and can convince an atty you would stay, you'll be fine. Go to a T14. NU might be better for stl than Cornell or something.

Unrelated, please take the scholly over 4-5 us news ranking slots.

Since you're not dead set on STL, definitely go to a T14.
Jeez, I don't know how I missed this post.

laanngo

Bronze

Post by laanngo » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:19 pm

Cross-posting from
laanngo wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:30 am
Anyone have any insights into Thompson Coburn, especially the St. Louis office? I know someone interested in getting an associate position with them.
Any insiders or connections to insiders can say anything?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”