St. Louis Legal Market

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
somedeadman

Bronze

St. Louis Legal Market

Postby somedeadman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Does anyone have knowledge what hiring is like in St. Louis, and/or know where I can find info about it?

sublime

Diamond

Re: St. Louis Legal Market

Postby sublime » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:06 pm

Are you from St. Louis?

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:30 pm

sublime wrote:Are you from St. Louis?

Yes

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:49 pm

somedeadman wrote:

Yes

That's a good start bc it is annoyingly insular. Look at the Wustl student q and a thread or look for their oci threads.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:36 pm

sublime wrote:
somedeadman wrote:

Yes

That's a good start bc it is annoyingly insular. Look at the Wustl student q and a thread or look for their oci threads.

Awesome, definitely will do.

One lawyer told me the conventional wisdom of going to the best school I get into, as stl is always open to natives. Another person told me SLU because they hire their own

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:08 pm

somedeadman wrote:
sublime wrote:
somedeadman wrote:

Yes

One lawyer told me the conventional wisdom of going to the best school I get into, as stl is always open to natives. Another person told me SLU because they hire their own

Yea, it's hard to say. I am a wustl grad mostly from out of state who didn't have much luck with the bigger firms in stl. Idk how open they are to natives returning as I didn't have that experience and I haven't really been paying much attention since I did oci more than two years ago. If you want stl I would guess try to either go to a t14 or stay for slu or wustl for cheap. If you want stl I don't see any compelling reason to go anywhere but those 16 schools and they may even be suspicious of a t14, but at least you would have fewer eggs in that basket. What are your stats?

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:58 pm

sublime wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
sublime wrote:
somedeadman wrote:

Yes

Yea, it's hard to say. I am a wustl grad mostly from out of state who didn't have much luck with the bigger firms in stl. Idk how open they are to natives returning as I didn't have that experience and I haven't really been paying much attention since I did oci more than two years ago. If you want stl I would guess try to either go to a t14 or stay for slu or wustl for cheap. If you want stl I don't see any compelling reason to go anywhere but those 16 schools and they may even be suspicious of a t14, but at least you would have fewer eggs in that basket. What are your stats?

Deleted

Not sure exactly where I want to practice, but o do like stl
Last edited by somedeadman on Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:30 am

A vast majority of stl biglaw SAs are from Wustl/SLU, with some from Mizzou or something. That said, I think it's mostly self selection, and you definitely shouldn't turn down NU with money for wustl or sly or something. I know a bunch of people from WUSTL with 1L/2L SAs with stl biglaw, so I really don't think there is some overwhelming preference for SLU (4/5 of my 1L SA class was wustl). If you're from St. Louis and can convince an atty you would stay, you'll be fine. Go to a T14. NU might be better for stl than Cornell or something.

Unrelated, please take the scholly over 4-5 us news ranking slots.

Since you're not dead set on STL, definitely go to a T14.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:28 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:A vast majority of stl biglaw SAs are from Wustl/SLU, with some from Mizzou or something. That said, I think it's mostly self selection, and you definitely shouldn't turn down NU with money for wustl or sly or something. I know a bunch of people from WUSTL with 1L/2L SAs with stl biglaw, so I really don't think there is some overwhelming preference for SLU (4/5 of my 1L SA class was wustl). If you're from St. Louis and can convince an atty you would stay, you'll be fine. Go to a T14. NU might be better for stl than Cornell or something.

Unrelated, please take the scholly over 4-5 us news ranking slots.

Since you're not dead set on STL, definitely go to a T14.

Jeez, I don't know how I missed this post.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?