Is music copyright a specialization?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Is music copyright a specialization?

Postby lymenheimer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:11 am

scalawag wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:It really looks like OP just wants us to know he can play guitar and that his ability to do so somehow gives him an advantage over other music copyright attorneys who cannot play an instrument.

You got it.

Jazz musicians are working theorists, I think I would be able to comprehend more technical aspects of music that come up. If I get into a law school with a music copyright class I will analyze the John William's ET score, maybe write analysis if that would be an assignment.

In music history I had to analyze a terribly complex Beethoven score - dude who wrote it was as smart as Justice Scalia or Justice Sotomayor. Jazz Studies had me taking 9 classes a semester I was teaching myself to read music on my instrument and learning jazz and classical music at the same time. My teacher became assistant dean so I changed majors and kind of got the college experience, but I plan to take counterpoint next fall.

I emailed Mr. Crohn and he initially said it sounded like I wanted to be a forensic musicologist. I considered his advice, and there were some parallels between me and the guy he sent in an article who did it (at least that we both spent a lot of time transcribing things) but he had done way more than me and it would be extremely difficult for me to become a forensic musicologist. I respect the fuck out of them though.

I don't quite understand the role of an attorney, but my understanding of music theory, and reading of a Texas Professor's "Would You Want William Hung as Your Trier of Fact" plays a huge role in why I want to do this.

Now I'm not advocating we should go to court, but with stare decisis music theory would fit in quite nicely. That was a journal article I read - Would You Want William Hung as your Trier of Fact. I agreed with almost everything the dude said - except one thing - he said courts should legislate how many notes must be taken for a melody to be plagiarized. Every melody is completely different - so every melody would have a different number of notes - yes there is confusion, however that confusion could be settled by people who are knowledgeable about music. Opinions do vary, but not as much as you would think. I think setting an arbitrary number for the number of notes would not truly determine copyright infringement. The guy who wrote it was passionate about the subject and sought out a lot of information to write his article.

Reading that journal article made me think I would love to be a music copyright attorney. I was riveted. I make very strong legal arguments (Justice Sotomayor is my role model) - I realized I'll never be as smart as she was when I read some of her opinions but I wrote a paper this year and after reading how hard she worked I'm inspired by her life experiences and wherever I go and whatever I specialize in I will work very hard in law school.

Anyways Mr. Crohn said just go to the highest ranked law school you get into. So what I will do is apply to a bunch of schools, and then probably shoot him an email and say these are the top ranked schools, would I have a shot at doing this or is it a pipe dream. And if he says school x would be a good school that would give me a decent shot I'm going for it. He did mention there would be other work and they work at small IP firms. I would be down doing that, as long as I got to do some music copyright once in a while. I would absolutely love to hash out the issues with musicologists and negotiate, even go to court if it came down to that. I would fucking love it.

And yes peanuts, not to brag, but all other things being equal I would beat an attorney with no musical background - you can take that to the bank.

futureliTigator - thank you for the recommendations. I'm interested in Business Law as well. But my strengths right now lie in my ability to make strong legal arguments (and when I spend a lot of time on it) crafting a brief that is written like an attorney. I say that not to brag, but because it's my strength and it's what I enjoy doing. I love spotting the issues, getting on an exercise bike, and writing jibberish on a note that turns into an argument. I love reading things and making strong arguments and so my question is would those jobs provide me an opportunity to do that?

And if they don't what will?

Quoting the whole thing for posterity

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:24 am

scalawag wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:It really looks like OP just wants us to know he can play guitar and that his ability to do so somehow gives him an advantage over other music copyright attorneys who cannot play an instrument.

You got it.

Jazz musicians are working theorists, I think I would be able to comprehend more technical aspects of music that come up. If I get into a law school with a music copyright class I will analyze the John William's ET score, maybe write analysis if that would be an assignment.

In music history I had to analyze a terribly complex Beethoven score - dude who wrote it was as smart as Justice Scalia or Justice Sotomayor. Jazz Studies had me taking 9 classes a semester I was teaching myself to read music on my instrument and learning jazz and classical music at the same time. My teacher became assistant dean so I changed majors and kind of got the college experience, but I plan to take counterpoint next fall.

I emailed Mr. Crohn and he initially said it sounded like I wanted to be a forensic musicologist. I considered his advice, and there were some parallels between me and the guy he sent in an article who did it (at least that we both spent a lot of time transcribing things) but he had done way more than me and it would be extremely difficult for me to become a forensic musicologist. I respect the fuck out of them though.

I don't quite understand the role of an attorney, but my understanding of music theory, and reading of a Texas Professor's "Would You Want William Hung as Your Trier of Fact" plays a huge role in why I want to do this.

Now I'm not advocating we should go to court, but with stare decisis music theory would fit in quite nicely. That was a journal article I read - Would You Want William Hung as your Trier of Fact. I agreed with almost everything the dude said - except one thing - he said courts should legislate how many notes must be taken for a melody to be plagiarized. Every melody is completely different - so every melody would have a different number of notes - yes there is confusion, however that confusion could be settled by people who are knowledgeable about music. Opinions do vary, but not as much as you would think. I think setting an arbitrary number for the number of notes would not truly determine copyright infringement. The guy who wrote it was passionate about the subject and sought out a lot of information to write his article.

Reading that journal article made me think I would love to be a music copyright attorney. I was riveted. I make very strong legal arguments (Justice Sotomayor is my role model) - I realized I'll never be as smart as she was when I read some of her opinions but I wrote a paper this year and after reading how hard she worked I'm inspired by her life experiences and wherever I go and whatever I specialize in I will work very hard in law school.

Anyways Mr. Crohn said just go to the highest ranked law school you get into. So what I will do is apply to a bunch of schools, and then probably shoot him an email and say these are the top ranked schools, would I have a shot at doing this or is it a pipe dream. And if he says school x would be a good school that would give me a decent shot I'm going for it. He did mention there would be other work and they work at small IP firms. I would be down doing that, as long as I got to do some music copyright once in a while. I would absolutely love to hash out the issues with musicologists and negotiate, even go to court if it came down to that. I would fucking love it.

And yes peanuts, not to brag, but all other things being equal I would beat an attorney with no musical background - you can take that to the bank.

futureliTigator - thank you for the recommendations. I'm interested in Business Law as well. But my strengths right now lie in my ability to make strong legal arguments (and when I spend a lot of time on it) crafting a brief that is written like an attorney. I say that not to brag, but because it's my strength and it's what I enjoy doing. I love spotting the issues, getting on an exercise bike, and writing jibberish on a note that turns into an argument. I love reading things and making strong arguments and so my question is would those jobs provide me an opportunity to do that?

My god, the bravado here is outstanding. Sets OP up for so much disillusionment when a partner verbally assaults all of his preconceived notions of his abilities in the law.

Good luck OP, this attitude will be sure to lead to so much success in your music copyright/bard law career. You'll be the Johnnie Cochran of sick beats law.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:41 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Oh my Zeus, he's back.

scalawag wrote:If I get into a law school with a music copyright class I will analyze the John William's ET score, maybe write analysis if that would be an assignment.

Just quoting this section for posterity.

Yes, this was exactly what made me realize he still doesn't understand any of this. Because that wouldn't be an assignment.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:48 am

Also, OP, you get that the article you reference is 1) suggesting that the industry be completely changed? It's calling for reform. It's an academic think piece thay doesn't describe what you as a copyright attorney would actually be doing. And 2) the people on the tribunal he proposes are academic musicologists, not lawyers. (Because it really sounds like you want to be on that tribunal, not actually working as a lawyer.)

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:56 am

Don't let people dismiss your dreams. Why do you think patent lawyers often have technical backgrounds? Follow your dream. Just because nobody had done this doesn't mean you cannot. You could create the field easily. Easily.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:56 am

ITT: OP sets himself up for a career doing part-time contract work for BMI suing colleges for playing music and/or movies at parties.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:12 am

This thread is almost as good as the W&L vs. GW thread. So many great troll threads nowadays. Cant beat the entertainment value.

scalawag

Bronze

Postby scalawag » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:13 am

UVA2B wrote:
scalawag wrote:

You got it.

My god, the bravado here is outstanding. Sets OP up for so much disillusionment when a partner verbally assaults all of his preconceived notions of his abilities in the law.

Good luck OP, this attitude will be sure to lead to so much success in your music copyright/bard law career. You'll be the Johnnie Cochran of sick beats law.

I don't talk that way, I just had a reddit.com/r/iamverysmart moment.

scalawag

Bronze

Postby scalawag » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:19 am

I'm a humble guy, I'll get into law school and think what the fuck was I thinking with these posts.

Who knows what I'll specialize in, glad I could be of some entertainment.

Sorry if I came across as disrespectful, I broke 170, went out and partied and got a big head.

tomwatts

Gold

Postby tomwatts » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:35 am

scalawag wrote:I'm a humble guy, I'll get into law school and think what the fuck was I thinking with these posts.

Sorry if I came across as disrespectful, I broke 170, went out and partied and got a big head.

Well, my only remaining question was whether this was drunk trolling or sober trolling, and I think that just got answered.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:50 pm

scalawag wrote:I'm a humble guy, I'll get into law school and think what the fuck was I thinking with these posts.

When did you break 170? Are you claiming that you've been partying since the December test scores were released?

Desert Fox wrote:Don't let people dismiss your dreams. Why do you think patent lawyers often have technical backgrounds? Follow your dream. Just because nobody had done this doesn't mean you cannot. You could create the field easily. Easily.

I'm guessing you haven't read the OP's ideas about this "new and exciting field". I have dreams about riding unicorns made of cotton candy. I'd be an idiot if I tried acting on those dreams.
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scalawag

Bronze

Postby scalawag » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:52 pm

tomwatts wrote:

Well, my only remaining question was whether this was drunk trolling or sober trolling, and I think that just got answered.

Well let's just say I haven't partied like that since I was in my early 20s, and I will never party like that again if you can infer what I'm saying. I'm sure some attorneys never grow out of that but that's not who I want to be.

My grandfather sold newspapers to pay his way through law school. He always gave back to the community - in many ways he was involved with many community projects - I don't want to give specifics to reveal my identity. My father also attended law school and has contributed to worthy causes.

I'm 29 and I've lived the life of a musician for about 10 years now.

I hope to turn into someone respectable and give back to the community. I'm gonna put this marriage thing off as long as possible though.

Thank you to everyone for your responses. Reading what I wrote after the fact was a wake up call.

I have no idea what I will specialize in, but I really do have a knack for making strong legal arguments - and if I can channel that into any speciality I will be the most happy. I told my dad that a teacher told me I argued and wrote like an attorney and my dad scoffed and made fun of me and said being an attorney involves so much more than "making arguments" (the way he said it was gold).

So I realize I have a lot to learn, and I look forward to attending law school and being respectful, both in my professional and personal endeavors.

scalawag

Bronze

Postby scalawag » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:53 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:

When did you break 170? Are you claiming that you've been partying since the December test scores were released?

Desert Fox wrote:Don't let people dismiss your dreams. Why do you think patent lawyers often have technical backgrounds? Follow your dream. Just because nobody had done this doesn't mean you cannot. You could create the field easily. Easily.

I'm guessing you haven't read the OP's ideas about this "new and exciting field". I have dreams about riding unicorns made of cotton candy. I'd be an idiot if I tried acting on those dreams.

It was a 4 section practice test. Nothing special I'm taking in June. And again in September. I've got to work with 5 section tests and get the fatigue up.

I just never thought I would score that high. If I don't fuck off I will be able to avoid debt, which is a good thing.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:55 pm

scalawag wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:When did you break 170? Are you claiming that you've been partying since the December test scores were released?

It was a 4 section practice test. Nothing special I'm taking in June. And again in September. I've got to work with 5 section tests and get the fatigue up.

I just never thought I would score that high. If I don't fuck off I will be able to avoid debt, which is a good thing.

So you went out and got as wasted as you have gotten in years over a practice test?

This is glorious. Please don't stop coming back to this thread.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:59 pm

scalawag wrote:I'm a humble guy.

This is my favorite

Also:
(Is told being a lawyer is more than just making arguments)
(Claims he will be a good lawyer because he can make legal arguments)

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:06 pm

scalawag wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

Well let's just say I haven't partied like that since I was in my early 20s, and I will never party like that again if you can infer what I'm saying. I'm sure some attorneys never grow out of that but that's not who I want to be.

My grandfather sold newspapers to pay his way through law school. He always gave back to the community - in many ways he was involved with many community projects - I don't want to give specifics to reveal my identity. My father also attended law school and has contributed to worthy causes.

I'm 29 and I've lived the life of a musician for about 10 years now.

I hope to turn into someone respectable and give back to the community. I'm gonna put this marriage thing off as long as possible though.

Thank you to everyone for your responses. Reading what I wrote after the fact was a wake up call.

I have no idea what I will specialize in, but I really do have a knack for making strong legal arguments - and if I can channel that into any speciality I will be the most happy. I told my dad that a teacher told me I argued and wrote like an attorney and my dad scoffed and made fun of me and said being an attorney involves so much more than "making arguments" (the way he said it was gold).

So I realize I have a lot to learn, and I look forward to attending law school and being respectful, both in my professional and personal endeavors.

Please, tell us more about your "knack for making legal arguments." It must be neat for your friends when you cite case law to them to establish precedent. I bet you're great at all those ragers you're having for your successful studying. I can only imagine what you'll do when you complete your first LRW memo and hand it in with a broad smile that what you just wrote was truly better than everyone around you. Because you have a "knack for making legal arguments."

Please be less insufferable in real life.

smaug

Diamond

Postby smaug » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:08 pm

OP pls step out from behind the troll curtain and take a bow. Top notch work.

scalawag

Bronze

Postby scalawag » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:28 am

smaug wrote:OP pls step out from behind the troll curtain and take a bow. Top notch work.

Thank you sir, if you would like to see more of my work please google Vinyl Collective Hemiola Cadence.

They hate Bose (I believe the 301s are a decent speaker) and I had them convinced that I was on PCP rambling about Bose.

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:28 pm

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?