Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Steven24

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:40 am

Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby Steven24 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:21 pm

Hi there,

I have been doing a lot of research about the schools in MN and been asking multiple individuals who had or have gone through the process before. Wanting to go to Law school in MN and hopes to practice Law there as well, is there still that stigma that the UMN conquers all? From what I've seen and heard, St.Thomas is catching up to the UofMN. Of course, I am not saying that it will ever be as well-known of a Law school since it's a localized school but would it be wrong for me to think that if I did attend St.Thomas over the UMN, I would still have the same chance of receiving a BigLaw offer here?

Regardless of what school you go to, in order to succeed and reach those high aspirations, you have to get good grades. I know there is that risk still that if I do end up in the middle of the pack at St.Thomas compared to the U, it will hurt me more but other than that.. I guess my big overall question is.. Is it really THAT much better to go to the more well-renown school compared to those below it knowing I want to stay here n such.



Thank you!

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:40 pm

If you want big law, probably shouldn't even go to UMN, but you definitely would not have the same chance from UST compared to UMN. Either way the answer is probably don't go to St. Thomas.

20% of UMN students get big law or a federal clerkship. Less than 5% of St. Thomas students do

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:19 pm

If you want big law then you need to aim higher, don't go to either.

I'd be surprised if middle of the road Minnesota kids, on average, have markedly better career prospects than middle of the road Saint Thomas kids. Probably pretty rough sledding for both.

User avatar
TripTrip

Gold
Posts: 2762
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby TripTrip » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:55 pm

Steven24 wrote:would it be wrong for me to think that if I did attend St.Thomas over the UMN, I would still have the same chance of receiving a BigLaw offer here?

Yes, very wrong.

Source: Minnesotan.

Steven24

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:40 am

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby Steven24 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:36 am

TripTrip wrote:
Steven24 wrote:would it be wrong for me to think that if I did attend St.Thomas over the UMN, I would still have the same chance of receiving a BigLaw offer here?

Yes, very wrong.

Source: Minnesotan.


I'm assuming you went to Law school here in MN, may I ask you how your experience was? How's the job search for finding a financially reasonable job regardless if it is BigLaw or not??

BigZuck wrote:If you want big law then you need to aim higher, don't go to either.

I'd be surprised if middle of the road Minnesota kids, on average, have markedly better career prospects than middle of the road Saint Thomas kids. Probably pretty rough sledding for both.


I plan on taking the LSAT in Feburary and August, currently enrolled in Kaplan prep course and using Manhattan strategy guide books in hopes to get into Law school not this upcoming Fall but the following. I'm the true definition of a splitter.. With a 2.5 gpa, my schools are limiting.. I am aiming for a 160-165, anything higher would be wonderful but I want to stay realistic too. What schools do you think I would have a shot in? I'm surprised you shot down the UMN, aren't they a top 20-25 school?

trebekismyhero wrote:If you want big law, probably shouldn't even go to UMN, but you definitely would not have the same chance from UST compared to UMN. Either way the answer is probably don't go to St. Thomas.

20% of UMN students get big law or a federal clerkship. Less than 5% of St. Thomas students do


With my gpa being so low.. at a 2.5.. and if i do hit the 160-165.. What school would you recommend? Outside of my local schools, I have not thought of anywhere else to be honest outside of Ohio State but it looks like according to ranks it's lower than the UMN..

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby trebekismyhero » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Why are you looking at Ohio State? If you want big law you have to get into a t14 school. If big law is important and you have a 2.5 gpa then you should not go to law school because barring getting a score in the upper 170s you will not get into a school that will give you a really good chance at big law.

If you are comfortable working at a small firm in MN and making $45k then going to St. Thomas on a full ride is fine. Same goes for UMN but with your GPA you will need close to a 170 to get a full ride there.

But you probably shouldn't go to law school.

Steven24

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:40 am

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates from other schools

Postby Steven24 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:04 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:Why are you looking at Ohio State? If you want big law you have to get into a t14 school. If big law is important and you have a 2.5 gpa then you should not go to law school because barring getting a score in the upper 170s you will not get into a school that will give you a really good chance at big law.

If you are comfortable working at a small firm in MN and making $45k then going to St. Thomas on a full ride is fine. Same goes for UMN but with your GPA you will need close to a 170 to get a full ride there.

But you probably shouldn't go to law school.


I know my GPA is huge hindrance but there is no reason why I can't try. Even if I don't make it to big law.. couldn't I still find a reasonably decent job with top 20-50 school? Even if it's Mid-Level firm? I don't think Ohio State is a bad school is it? It's the only school that I would consider going to outside of the state. I would love to make it to BigLaw, I think everyone's goal should be but if it is all driven because of money, will you really be happy at the end of the day with your decision if you don't make it? I know I got mountains to climb, I still have to score a 165+ but I truly believe that the biggest investment you can do for yourself is education. Isn't that why we all do it or want to? It's a risk of course but you could reap the rewards. Honestly, I'm just looking for advice for those who have done it before.

Now I do believe your investment on your return on say St.Thomas might not be the best idea but going to a top 20-50 school is at least something that stands behind itself? Hence why I plan on only applying to the UMN and Ohio State while possible some others if they come into interest. Like I said, any advice from anyone where ever they are in Law School or Careers is helpful

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby trebekismyhero » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:41 pm

I am guessing you're a troll, but if you are not your plan makes no sense.

Yes, Ohio State is a fine school if you want to work in Ohio, but there is no difference between Ohio State and Minnesota except location. Your most likely outcome from either is a $50k a year job in that state.

Steven24

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:40 am

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby Steven24 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:03 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:I am guessing you're a troll, but if you are not your plan makes no sense.

Yes, Ohio State is a fine school if you want to work in Ohio, but there is no difference between Ohio State and Minnesota except location. Your most likely outcome from either is a $50k a year job in that state.


I'm sorry. I'm not trying to troll. I'm actually serious and appreciate everyone's pov... on the matter. But from what I'm getting from you is everyone who isn't say in the top 15 will be working 50k a year job in their state. That can't be right? I bet some law students have prosperous careers going to top 20-50 Law schools. I do agree with you as well that there is not much of difference between MN and Ohio State outside of location. In a sense I do have to apply to wherever seems reasonable and appealing to me since I have to spend my 3 years there. I think you and I can both agree on that going to a top 50 school is better than placing my bests and hoping for positive results with going with St.Thomas. I know I am very ignorant with the process and subject at hand but that's why I'm at these forums to learn and gain advice.

that1one1guy

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:39 am

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby that1one1guy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:11 pm

Steven24 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:I am guessing you're a troll, but if you are not your plan makes no sense.

Yes, Ohio State is a fine school if you want to work in Ohio, but there is no difference between Ohio State and Minnesota except location. Your most likely outcome from either is a $50k a year job in that state.


I'm sorry. I'm not trying to troll. I'm actually serious and appreciate everyone's pov... on the matter. But from what I'm getting from you is everyone who isn't say in the top 15 will be working 50k a year job in their state.


The general consensus is that outside of the t14, chances are greater that you'll make 50k a year than 100k+ after graduation. Sure, some students from lower schools can get a hire paying job, but not enough that you can bet your chances on it. You should assume you will graduate at the median of your class, and see what jobs the median graduates get. Also, state flagships have good placement in their home state, but typically poor placement elsewhere, so you should look to cut costs, and go to a school in the state you want to get a job in.

Steven24

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:40 am

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby Steven24 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:03 pm

that1one1guy wrote:
Steven24 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:I am guessing you're a troll, but if you are not your plan makes no sense.

Yes, Ohio State is a fine school if you want to work in Ohio, but there is no difference between Ohio State and Minnesota except location. Your most likely outcome from either is a $50k a year job in that state.


I'm sorry. I'm not trying to troll. I'm actually serious and appreciate everyone's pov... on the matter. But from what I'm getting from you is everyone who isn't say in the top 15 will be working 50k a year job in their state.


The general consensus is that outside of the t14, chances are greater that you'll make 50k a year than 100k+ after graduation. Sure, some students from lower schools can get a hire paying job, but not enough that you can bet your chances on it. You should assume you will graduate at the median of your class, and see what jobs the median graduates get. Also, state flagships have good placement in their home state, but typically poor placement elsewhere, so you should look to cut costs, and go to a school in the state you want to get a job in.


Thank you for taking the time to post on this topic. Very insightful. From that perspective, it would be in the best of my interest to get into the UMN then. I would think arriving in middle there is better than any other local school behind it.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby BigZuck » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:13 pm

Steven24 wrote:
that1one1guy wrote:
Steven24 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:I am guessing you're a troll, but if you are not your plan makes no sense.

Yes, Ohio State is a fine school if you want to work in Ohio, but there is no difference between Ohio State and Minnesota except location. Your most likely outcome from either is a $50k a year job in that state.


I'm sorry. I'm not trying to troll. I'm actually serious and appreciate everyone's pov... on the matter. But from what I'm getting from you is everyone who isn't say in the top 15 will be working 50k a year job in their state.


The general consensus is that outside of the t14, chances are greater that you'll make 50k a year than 100k+ after graduation. Sure, some students from lower schools can get a hire paying job, but not enough that you can bet your chances on it. You should assume you will graduate at the median of your class, and see what jobs the median graduates get. Also, state flagships have good placement in their home state, but typically poor placement elsewhere, so you should look to cut costs, and go to a school in the state you want to get a job in.


Thank you for taking the time to post on this topic. Very insightful. From that perspective, it would be in the best of my interest to get into the UMN then. I would think arriving in middle there is better than any other local school behind it.

I think you're thinking that because you're ascribing something meaningful about US News rankings that isn't really a thing. I'm not sure that's how legal hiring works.

I don't question that Minnesota is inarguably the best law school in the state. I do question whether the average grad there has an appreciably better career outlook than the average St. Thomas grad. I'm guessing it's not necessarily a very rosy outlook for either. Or, at least, that the outlook isn't significantly rosier for your average Minnesota grad.

Steven24

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:40 am

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby Steven24 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:22 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Steven24 wrote:
that1one1guy wrote:
Steven24 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
I don't question that Minnesota is inarguably the best law school in the state. I do question whether the average grad there has an appreciably better career outlook than the average St. Thomas grad. I'm guessing it's not necessarily a very rosy outlook for either. Or, at least, that the outlook isn't significantly rosier for your average Minnesota grad.


If I am understanding you correctly overall, any MN grad regardless of what local school they go to, has a grim outlook on bigger financial paying jobs if they are in the middle of the pack? That's so odd cause isn't UMN a top 20 borderline school? What would your suggestion be? Take the school with the most scholarship money? Or go to the best school in the state possible?

Goldie

Bronze
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:41 pm

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby Goldie » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:35 pm

Steven24 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:I am guessing you're a troll, but if you are not your plan makes no sense.

Yes, Ohio State is a fine school if you want to work in Ohio, but there is no difference between Ohio State and Minnesota except location. Your most likely outcome from either is a $50k a year job in that state.


I'm sorry. I'm not trying to troll. I'm actually serious and appreciate everyone's pov... on the matter. But from what I'm getting from you is everyone who isn't say in the top 15 will be working 50k a year job in their state. That can't be right? I bet some law students have prosperous careers going to top 20-50 Law schools. I do agree with you as well that there is not much of difference between MN and Ohio State outside of location. In a sense I do have to apply to wherever seems reasonable and appealing to me since I have to spend my 3 years there. I think you and I can both agree on that going to a top 50 school is better than placing my bests and hoping for positive results with going with St.Thomas. I know I am very ignorant with the process and subject at hand but that's why I'm at these forums to learn and gain advice.


Actually, yes, it can be right. Look at this graph: http://www.nalp.org/class_of_2014_salary_curve I'm guessing both Minnesota and Ohio State report median salaries of ~$80k, but most of the salaries for their graduates are going to either be quite a bit less or quite a bit more. If you're not towards the top of the class at those schools, you're more likely to be making $50k in your state than to be making $100-$200k, either in your state or in a bigger market.

Source - former student at one of those schools.

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3436
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby UVA2B » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:06 pm

Goldie wrote:
Steven24 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:I am guessing you're a troll, but if you are not your plan makes no sense.

Yes, Ohio State is a fine school if you want to work in Ohio, but there is no difference between Ohio State and Minnesota except location. Your most likely outcome from either is a $50k a year job in that state.


I'm sorry. I'm not trying to troll. I'm actually serious and appreciate everyone's pov... on the matter. But from what I'm getting from you is everyone who isn't say in the top 15 will be working 50k a year job in their state. That can't be right? I bet some law students have prosperous careers going to top 20-50 Law schools. I do agree with you as well that there is not much of difference between MN and Ohio State outside of location. In a sense I do have to apply to wherever seems reasonable and appealing to me since I have to spend my 3 years there. I think you and I can both agree on that going to a top 50 school is better than placing my bests and hoping for positive results with going with St.Thomas. I know I am very ignorant with the process and subject at hand but that's why I'm at these forums to learn and gain advice.


Actually, yes, it can be right. Look at this graph: http://www.nalp.org/class_of_2014_salary_curve I'm guessing both Minnesota and Ohio State report median salaries of ~$80k, but most of the salaries for their graduates are going to either be quite a bit less or quite a bit more. If you're not towards the top of the class at those schools, you're more likely to be making $50k in your state than to be making $100-$200k, either in your state or in a bigger market.

Source - former student at one of those schools.


Also important is that market in MN is less than market elsewhere. So that bimodal isn't entirely telling, but in that sense it's even less encouraging than the bimodal salary scheme suggests.

Steven24

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:40 am

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby Steven24 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:51 pm

Goldie and UVA2B, thank you for taking the time to respond back to this post. A part of me still wants to go to Law school regardless if I don't get a BigLaw offer or not. I think a J.D. would complement my HR Management degree well. Knowing that it most likely than not that I will be the those who find a job within the 50k range, it would be in the best of my interest to stay in state for better tuition rates and take the school that gives me the most scholarship money as possible.

Outside of Biglaw coming out of college, what type of options do I have? Settle with small-midsize firms? I know salaries for those firms can range from 50-70k I would think depending on the size? Do companies hire grads for entry level counsel positions because from what I've seen in terms of jobs for those specific position, they require experience.. I'm just trying to prepare myself now and exhaust all my options. I would think that those who don't receive BigLaw offers, they still have great careers in terms of compensation right?? I'd be happy with 70-90k with opportunities to grow.

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10277
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:13 pm

If you go to UMN, you will still have to place in the top 20% of your class to obtain offers at large market-paying firms (either in the state or out of state) via traditional OCI. OCI is by far not the primary route for most Minnesota students to land post-grad employment. On the other hand, at St. Thomas you would likely have to be one of the top dozen or so students to have a chance at a large firm, so it's definitely a different sort of challenge.

The twin cities market has a lot of small and medium sized firms that hire during 3L or right after you receive your bar results. These firms pay $45-65K/year as a starting salary, which is enough to support yourself in the relatively low COL Minneapolis area but not enough to pay back heavy student loans, and these are the type of jobs most UMN students are getting. There's also a lot of local gov't hiring, including state clerkships but also state and municipal government. With regard to the small firms, though, there is an argument to be made that a full tuition scholarship at St. Thomas is preferable to a half tuition or less scholarship at UMN, even though UMN considers itself a 'premier' academic institution, and is part of a more renowned flagship university, and St. Thomas is a local law school (since the median private sector result is comparable, even if UMN offers substantially superior opportunities closer to the top).

Since a high paying career out of either of these schools is highly unlikely in the short term, you should absolutely not attend under any circumstances without a strong scholarship offer (at least 1/2 tuition with in-state at UMN).

Steven24

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:40 am

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby Steven24 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:27 pm

jbagelboy wrote:If you go to UMN, you will still have to place in the top 20% of your class to obtain offers at large market-paying firms (either in the state or out of state) via traditional OCI. OCI is by far not the primary route for most Minnesota students to land post-grad employment. On the other hand, at St. Thomas you would likely have to be one of the top dozen or so students to have a chance at a large firm, so it's definitely a different sort of challenge.

The twin cities market has a lot of small and medium sized firms that hire during 3L or right after you receive your bar results. These firms pay $45-65K/year as a starting salary, which is enough to support yourself in the relatively low COL Minneapolis area but not enough to pay back heavy student loans, and these are the type of jobs most UMN students are getting. There's also a lot of local gov't hiring, including state clerkships but also state and municipal government. With regard to the small firms, though, there is an argument to be made that a full tuition scholarship at St. Thomas is preferable to a half tuition or less scholarship at UMN, even though UMN considers itself a 'premier' academic institution, and is part of a more renowned flagship university, and St. Thomas is a local law school (since the median private sector result is comparable, even if UMN offers substantially superior opportunities closer to the top).

Since a high paying career out of either of these schools is highly unlikely in the short term, you should absolutely not attend under any circumstances without a strong scholarship offer (at least 1/2 tuition with in-state at UMN).


You make a lot of valid points and I thank you for taking the time to analyze this situation for me. I think you are for sure right that it would probably be in the best of my interest to go to a school that gives me the most in terms of scholarship money. I guess you never know where and how you'll do in Law School until you try. Outside of BigLaw, I'd love to be a in-house counsel somewhere for a business/corporation. Not too big into litigation.. not sure if that is a bad thing or not.

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3436
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby UVA2B » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:41 pm

Steven24 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:If you go to UMN, you will still have to place in the top 20% of your class to obtain offers at large market-paying firms (either in the state or out of state) via traditional OCI. OCI is by far not the primary route for most Minnesota students to land post-grad employment. On the other hand, at St. Thomas you would likely have to be one of the top dozen or so students to have a chance at a large firm, so it's definitely a different sort of challenge.

The twin cities market has a lot of small and medium sized firms that hire during 3L or right after you receive your bar results. These firms pay $45-65K/year as a starting salary, which is enough to support yourself in the relatively low COL Minneapolis area but not enough to pay back heavy student loans, and these are the type of jobs most UMN students are getting. There's also a lot of local gov't hiring, including state clerkships but also state and municipal government. With regard to the small firms, though, there is an argument to be made that a full tuition scholarship at St. Thomas is preferable to a half tuition or less scholarship at UMN, even though UMN considers itself a 'premier' academic institution, and is part of a more renowned flagship university, and St. Thomas is a local law school (since the median private sector result is comparable, even if UMN offers substantially superior opportunities closer to the top).

Since a high paying career out of either of these schools is highly unlikely in the short term, you should absolutely not attend under any circumstances without a strong scholarship offer (at least 1/2 tuition with in-state at UMN).


You make a lot of valid points and I thank you for taking the time to analyze this situation for me. I think you are for sure right that it would probably be in the best of my interest to go to a school that gives me the most in terms of scholarship money. I guess you never know where and how you'll do in Law School until you try. Outside of BigLaw, I'd love to be a in-house counsel somewhere for a business/corporation. Not too big into litigation.. not sure if that is a bad thing or not.


Proceed with caution if you're hoping for going in-house with a corporation. These positions are largely filled by...wait for it...those with Big Law experience in a relevant field. It's incredibly rare to parlay law school into an in-house position, and it's probably even harder to do so from a small firm working in a non-relevant industry, which is the most likely outcome from both of the schools you're considering. Remember that corporations have the opportunity to pick from the litter of those who did not want to stay in the private firm life, but have 2-5 years of relevant experience in that field, and would be perfect as a part of the general counsel for that corporation. In that way, MN is actually a pretty cool place to find employment, because it has an abnormally high F500/capita concentration for the region, meaning opportunities could be had. But you have to have the requisite experience in their desired field first, and no F500 is going to hire you as a freshly minted UST or UMN grad with zero legal experience. They'll go to Faegre or another big firm in the area and find candidates aplenty looking to move on to something else.

It sounds like you're very excited about the prospects of a legal career, and it's commendable, but realize that the likely outcome from MN schools is the 50k job with very little growth potential outside of being exceedingly good at whatever area of practice your firm excels in. That will likely not be in complex corporate affairs or things that in-house counsel would covet. I'm not saying don't do it, just realize the job prospects and subsequent job growth should be approached with caution.

Count1234

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby Count1234 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:14 am

Jbagelboy is pretty much spot on. Just wanted to chime in and offer another viewpoint and reinforce jbagelboy. I got a summer associate position with a big law firm in Minneapolis. No one in my summer class was from St Thomas, two were from WM but they were tip top of their class and law review (also very personable people). The other four were from umn. I was above top 25 percent of my class at umn. A friend at another big firm in town said there was only one person in their summer class from St Thomas and that person was top of her class. Anecdotal, yes, but it's to help illustrate two points: even at umn you'll have to be to of your class to get big law, and requirements are even higher for other, especially st Thomas, MN schools.

Most students don't get big law from umn, however, so that is the contingency you have to plan for. I don't believe in discouraging people from going to law school because so many people seeking advice on TLS are just looking for someone to vindicate their plan to attend a bad law school (not making any judgments on MN law schools) at sticker. And when they hear opposing views, they just become more entrenched. You should look at what people tell you and give it a little more weight than you probably are right now. I have read these forums and I find that I like to discount people's advice when it didn't say what I want it to say. Don't make a huge decision without taking people's advice seriously (don't be like me, the people here may have hive mind, but they are generally correct and give a mostly accurate description of whatever they talk about).

I will say that I loved attending umn and would do it over again (this is heavily colored by the fact that I got pretty much the best outcome I could have hoped for) if I had to go back in time and make the choice again. The school is great, professors are great. But don't go without a substantial scholarship. My numbers before I got in showed that I would get 60k and I didn't feel like that was enough even. I ended up getting more than that and that was what really drove my decision to choose umn over a full ride at WM.

Steven24

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:40 am

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby Steven24 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:41 pm

Count1234 wrote:Jbagelboy is pretty much spot on. Just wanted to chime in and offer another viewpoint and reinforce jbagelboy. I got a summer associate position with a big law firm in Minneapolis. No one in my summer class was from St Thomas, two were from WM but they were tip top of their class and law review (also very personable people). The other four were from umn. I was above top 25 percent of my class at umn. A friend at another big firm in town said there was only one person in their summer class from St Thomas and that person was top of her class. Anecdotal, yes, but it's to help illustrate two points: even at umn you'll have to be to of your class to get big law, and requirements are even higher for other, especially st Thomas, MN schools.

Most students don't get big law from umn, however, so that is the contingency you have to plan for. I don't believe in discouraging people from going to law school because so many people seeking advice on TLS are just looking for someone to vindicate their plan to attend a bad law school (not making any judgments on MN law schools) at sticker. And when they hear opposing views, they just become more entrenched. You should look at what people tell you and give it a little more weight than you probably are right now. I have read these forums and I find that I like to discount people's advice when it didn't say what I want it to say. Don't make a huge decision without taking people's advice seriously (don't be like me, the people here may have hive mind, but they are generally correct and give a mostly accurate description of whatever they talk about).

I will say that I loved attending umn and would do it over again (this is heavily colored by the fact that I got pretty much the best outcome I could have hoped for) if I had to go back in time and make the choice again. The school is great, professors are great. But don't go without a substantial scholarship. My numbers before I got in showed that I would get 60k and I didn't feel like that was enough even. I ended up getting more than that and that was what really drove my decision to choose umn over a full ride at WM.


Hi Count1234,

It's not to hear from a current MN Law student, your insight is very valued. I'm not gunna lie some comments from individuals have been discouraging and some have been very influential but I do take it from everyone's perspective and understand where they are coming from. Would you mind if we continued to talk? I would love to hear about your process through all this and your experience if you don't mind? I think you can private message somehow..

minnbills

Gold
Posts: 3330
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby minnbills » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:49 pm

recent grad who landed a fed clerkship chiming in. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

I would just say that what everyone else has posted is true. (Though I managed to get a good job from the middle of my class, that is absolutely NOT the norm). From what I've seen, people who work hard, have decent personalities, and are "normal" have gotten decent jobs after graduation - I'm talking 45-65k jobs. Another thing I've seen is people moving up after a couple of years working in a job that wasn't their first choice. There is upward mobility here, but even the best case firms don't pay anywhere near what you can make in other markets.

Steven24

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:40 am

Re: Current Minnesota Law students/Graduates

Postby Steven24 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:33 am

minnbills wrote:recent grad who landed a fed clerkship chiming in. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

I would just say that what everyone else has posted is true. (Though I managed to get a good job from the middle of my class, that is absolutely NOT the norm). From what I've seen, people who work hard, have decent personalities, and are "normal" have gotten decent jobs after graduation - I'm talking 45-65k jobs. Another thing I've seen is people moving up after a couple of years working in a job that wasn't their first choice. There is upward mobility here, but even the best case firms don't pay anywhere near what you can make in other markets.


Just sent one! Thanks Minnbills!!



Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests