C exams at T14?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BmoreOrLess

Gold

Re: C exams at T14?

Postby BmoreOrLess » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:32 am

thelincolnlawyer wrote:One of my professors gave 6 Cs (not even C+s) last semester. 1L at GULC

Schrag? He gave 3 C's or below my 1L.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:35 am

Voyager wrote:I don't know what it would take to get a C at Columbia.

Average student gets a B+.

If you only understand the basic concepts and catch only a few of the issues in a ham fisted way, you get a B

If you write what amounts to legal nonsense with some reference to class material you get a B- (I did that once! not my finest hour...)

A "C"? Maybe also embark on semester long effort to antagonize the professor? I don't know.

It's not going to happen to you. But don't worry, B- is embarrassing enough as it is...

Weren't you on the old curve where B- was still a thing? At CLS post-2012, legal nonsense with some reference to class material would be a solid B.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:38 am

DCfilterDC wrote:Obviously depends on the school, but at CLS you must do something pretty egregious to get a C+ or below

There is no C+ at CLS.

dabigchina wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:Obviously depends on the school, but at CLS you must do something pretty egregious to get a C+ or below

doesn't Krause give out a couple every year? also, that horrible crim teacher that I can't seem to remember at the moment.

Kraus is one of a handful of 1L profs that gives our discretionary low grades. He's also one of the worst profs at the school. I don't know if you're referring to Lynch, who also consistently gives a couple of B-'s, but he's not a horrible crim teacher: he's far and away the best one.

Big Red

Gold

Postby Big Red » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:45 am

Vandy has discretionary C's (but actually C+s) and the only people who hand them out - 2 so far as I have ever heard - seem to have moral (boomer) issues w grade inflation

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:53 am

From my understanding, an "LP" at HLS is sort of like a C elsewhere, if that's the case, then "Cs" definitely exist at H, and certain professors give out several of them each class - though they are definitely in the minority.

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:48 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Voyager wrote:I don't know what it would take to get a C at Columbia.

Average student gets a B+.

If you only understand the basic concepts and catch only a few of the issues in a ham fisted way, you get a B

If you write what amounts to legal nonsense with some reference to class material you get a B- (I did that once! not my finest hour...)

A "C"? Maybe also embark on semester long effort to antagonize the professor? I don't know.

It's not going to happen to you. But don't worry, B- is embarrassing enough as it is...

Weren't you on the old curve where B- was still a thing? At CLS post-2012, legal nonsense with some reference to class material would be a solid B.

Oh I got a B- for sure back in 2008. It was an elective crim class taught by an adjuct.

Cs were certainly given out when I was there but it was super super rare.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:05 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

There is no C+ at CLS.

dabigchina wrote:

doesn't Krause give out a couple every year? also, that horrible crim teacher that I can't seem to remember at the moment.

Kraus is one of a handful of 1L profs that gives our discretionary low grades. He's also one of the worst profs at the school. I don't know if you're referring to Lynch, who also consistently gives a couple of B-'s, but he's not a horrible crim teacher: he's far and away the best one.

I was thinking Harcourt. My understanding is he gives a few C+'s per year. I didn't have him so this is all hearsay.

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:31 pm

dabigchina wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

There is no C+ at CLS.

dabigchina wrote:

I was thinking Harcourt. My understanding is he gives a few C+'s per year. I didn't have him so this is all hearsay.

Judge Lynch is a HERO.

So is Rakoff. Try to get his elective. It was great.

mornincounselor

Silver

Postby mornincounselor » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:13 pm

dabigchina wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
nealric wrote:
BigZuck wrote:There's almost always at least one sacrificial F on each curve at UT. C or lower is like 10% of the class or something. But UT is only occasionally a T14 so not really relevant to this thread.

The T14 has nothing to do with USNWR. There is no such thing as an occasional T14.

o rly?

I know I'm tarless but 10K posts over here broseph, come on

come on man. don't give up on the T15 so easily

Do you want it that way?

https://youtu.be/SN0MPIzP1ac?t=2m38s

HYPSM

Bronze

Postby HYPSM » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:22 pm

BigZuck wrote:
thelincolnlawyer wrote:One of my professors gave 6 Cs (not even C+s) last semester. 1L at GULC

I think this discussion is limited to top law schools

Ouch.

chicago-gunner123

New

Postby chicago-gunner123 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:12 pm

Chicago is different because of the grading scale, but 1L year a couple people get in the C range (173 and below) in every class. I think at Chicago at least that it doesn't have to be such an egregiously bad answer to get in this range. You definitely need to miss a lot of issues, but you can study hard and still get in this range. Studying doesn't insulate you from this range -- if that's what OP is asking.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?