To go Part time, full time, or not at all??

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jimalan06

New

To go Part time, full time, or not at all??

Postby jimalan06 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:36 pm

Me: 33, married - no kids, MBA with 5 years of unrelated professional experience.

I hate my current cubical job and am looking for an escape. I have always wanted to go to law school - for personal protection/knowledge, to help fight for what I believe in, and to open doors that I may never have even known about. However, I really do not have a clear direction for what will come after graduation. I am in no hurry to rush back into a standard job afterwords and thus prefer to live the student life for as long as possible, I enjoy studying - but I dislike being overwhelmed with a huge course load. I have been offered full time admission to George Washington (no scholarship), but have the ability to select the part time program instead. If I pursue the part time track, I'm confident I can achieve excellent grades and would focus much of my time networking, participating in student groups/extracurricular activities and possibly creating a start-up for side income. One of the activities is sure to lead me somewhere lucrative/meaningful/satisfying. My strong point has always been to take the alternative route / skip the line by using the side door.

I have been told that the part time division is more or less the "B-team" when it comes to getting top internships.

In my case, would the additional free time of the part-time program offer a clever person more options than the standard full time program?

Thanks for any advice!!

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: To go Part time, full time, or not at all??

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:52 pm

jimalan06 wrote: I have always wanted to go to law school - for personal protection/knowledge, to help fight for what I believe in, and to open doors that I may never have even known about.

None of those sound like code for, "I want to be a lawyer," so I'm not sure that I'd recommend law school at all for you. You're old enough to have a solid idea of what you want, but these goals are extremely vague.

jimalan06 wrote:I have been offered full time admission to George Washington (no scholarship), but have the ability to select the part time program instead.

If you do want to go to school, you should take neither of these options. GW is not worth sticker.

jimalan06 wrote:If I pursue the part time track, I'm confident I can achieve excellent grades and would focus much of my time networking, participating in student groups/extracurricular activities and possibly creating a start-up for side income.

Why are you confident your grades will be excellent? Is the part-time program not on a forced curve? And how do you think you'll get anything resembling decent grades when you're focusing your efforts on networking (pointless if you can't get the grades for that job), student groups (pointless in general for post-school opportunities), or working on a start-up (maybe not pointless for life, but certainly for the practice of law).

jimalan06 wrote:One of the activities is sure to lead me somewhere lucrative/meaningful/satisfying.

Really? Please find anyone on this board (or in the legal profession) who tells the story of how they got their great job through a student group.

In general, the only good reason to do a part-time program is if you have a job/family that absolutely prevents you from becoming a full-time student. And even then, taking out loans to do a regular full-time program is usually a better financial choice for everyone involved. But right now I'd be much more concerned with your misconceptions about how law school works. You need to do a little more research about that, because you seem to be approaching it like an MBA program.

jimalan06

New

Postby jimalan06 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:03 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply!! I agree, I doubt I should go to law school, but the temptation of the possible opportunities is what has gotten me this far.

A couple questions:

Is Georgetown worth sticker in your opinion?

The other reason I considered part time is to have the time to focus/ensure I get top grades. My motive is to ensure I obtain scholarship funding after the first year. How I see it - Part time = less stress + more time = better grades = more scholarship funding. Full time = very competitive = less chance of achieving top grades and scholarships. Do you agree?

Thanks again for your reply!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:08 pm

GULC evening division grad here.

1. Part-time students don't really get shafted in terms of hiring or class opportunities (at Georgetown, at least). If anything, having work/life experience is a plus for some firms and a minus for others, so it overall kind of balances out.

2. Part-time and a 9-to-5 braindead job is easy. Part-time and a real job with stress, hours, or work at night/weekends is awful and should be avoided.

3. I don't recommend doing part-time law school. The best program is Georgetown, which still nets you a ~50% shot at a job that would pay enough to make the time commitment worth it. If you get a full ride AND aren't in it for the money AND have looked sufficiently into the actual job you want to be doing out of law school/long term, then I'd say maybe consider part-time law school, but really it is so much better to be done in 3 years than drag it out over 4 or more.

jimalan06

New

Postby jimalan06 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:17 pm

Thank you very much for your reply!

Is that 50% chance increased by the full time program?

Would you consider the full time program at GULC at full sticker price?

Were there any from your class that were successful in starting their own firm?

Thank you again, I really really appreciate your advice!!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:25 pm

jimalan06 wrote:Thank you very much for your reply!

Is that 50% chance increased by the full time program?

Would you consider the full time program at GULC at full sticker price?

Were there any from your class that were successful in starting their own firm?

Thank you again, I really really appreciate your advice!!

No to all of the above.

50% refers to the fact that only about half of the class goes on to BigLaw jobs that pay the big bucks: I think the ratio is more or less the same between full time and part time. There is some small level of self-selection but there are also a lot of people who try and don't get it. For a "top" school, that is abysmal.

Don't go anywhere at sticker except maybe Yale. GULC is ludicrously not worth it.

Law school in no way prepares you to start your own firm, and "top" schools like GULC doubly so, because they rely on very academic appellate law approaches and teach you nothing about being practice ready. Some of the regional schools are a little better on this front but so many of the professors at GULC have never practiced a day in their lives.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?