My law school feels eerily like Undergrad

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Skyline55

New

My law school feels eerily like Undergrad

Postby Skyline55 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:39 am

I am currently a 1L at a solid regional law school. First semester courses include Crim Law, Civ Pro, Contracts, Torts, and Research & Writing. I am enjoying law school so far.

However, I have noticed that the grading at my school does not seem to be on par with that of the vast majority of law schools. In fact, it reminds me of how I was graded during undergrad. In all of my classes, the final exam constitutes less than 60 percent of my total grade. Attendance, participation, midterms, and assignments scattered throughout the semester constitute a substantial percentage of my grade. Also, my Research and Writing course carries just as many grade points as my other courses (and in some cases more).

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same 1L grading experience?

Thanks

Nebby

Diamond

Re: My law school feels eerily like Undergrad

Postby Nebby » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:01 am

Skyline55 wrote:I am currently a 1L at a solid regional law school. First semester courses include Crim Law, Civ Pro, Contracts, Torts, and Research & Writing. I am enjoying law school so far.

However, I have noticed that the grading at my school does not seem to be on par with that of the vast majority of law schools. In fact, it reminds me of how I was graded during undergrad. In all of my classes, the final exam constitutes less than 60 percent of my total grade. Attendance, participation, midterms, and assignments scattered throughout the semester constitute a substantial percentage of my grade. Also, my Research and Writing course carries just as many grade points as my other courses (and in some cases more).

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same 1L grading experience?

Thanks

I had two 1L class like that.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:53 pm

Transfer.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Postby Mr. Archer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:52 pm

Skyline55 wrote:I am currently a 1L at a solid regional law school. First semester courses include Crim Law, Civ Pro, Contracts, Torts, and Research & Writing. I am enjoying law school so far.

Thanks

Doesn't sound like a solid regional school based on your descriptions.

Skyline55

New

Postby Skyline55 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:34 am

Hmm fair point. I should probably reconsider my definition of solid. However, if you're from the area and you have any clue as to what you're doing, getting a job is pretty easy. And it consistently ranks in the top 50. Anyway, my exams (which aren't worth anything it seems like) start up on Monday.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?