Advice for 1L jobs

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
taxman14

Bronze
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Advice for 1L jobs

Postby taxman14 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:42 am

Hey!

I know this is super early to ask about, but I was just curious about what kinds of jobs 1Ls typically take or what would be recommended if you wanted to clerk down the line. I have applied to all of the T14 and I think that I'll have a good round, so far already accepted to Duke, but will obviously push for $$$ and wait on the rest of the T14. So assuming that I do attend a T14 what kind of work is typical to get for a 1L and / or what would you recommend to set myself up for if I'd want to clerk down the line.

Thanks!

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Advice for 1L jobs

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:29 am

Do something legal and get excellent grades. Bonus points if whoever you work for has connections to judges (interning for a judge can be helpful if you work for one that gets to knows their interns and is willing to be a reference for you), but there is no one kind of job that's looked for.

Edit: actually, these days, with earlier and earlier applications, if all else is equal, try to do something that will give you a decent real-world writing sample.

User avatar
taxman14

Bronze
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Re: Advice for 1L jobs

Postby taxman14 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:57 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Do something legal and get excellent grades. Bonus points if whoever you work for has connections to judges (interning for a judge can be helpful if you work for one that gets to knows their interns and is willing to be a reference for you), but there is no one kind of job that's looked for.

Edit: actually, these days, with earlier and earlier applications, if all else is equal, try to do something that will give you a decent real-world writing sample.


Got it ! Makes total sense especially the real world writing sample piece. I was wondering if there's much OCI for things that 1Ls could realistically get or if most just try to network/recruit informally by contacting judges/etc. outside of what is offered through the school and in locations near home or near the school they're attending

User avatar
hangold

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:25 am

Re: Advice for 1L jobs

Postby hangold » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:38 am

Most 1Ls end up working for the government/public interest or externing for a judge. While difficult to acquire a job at a firm as a 1L, it is still a possibility. Most firms begin taking applications on December 1st.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Advice for 1L jobs

Postby BigZuck » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:42 am

taxman14 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Do something legal and get excellent grades. Bonus points if whoever you work for has connections to judges (interning for a judge can be helpful if you work for one that gets to knows their interns and is willing to be a reference for you), but there is no one kind of job that's looked for.

Edit: actually, these days, with earlier and earlier applications, if all else is equal, try to do something that will give you a decent real-world writing sample.


Got it ! Makes total sense especially the real world writing sample piece. I was wondering if there's much OCI for things that 1Ls could realistically get or if most just try to network/recruit informally by contacting judges/etc. outside of what is offered through the school and in locations near home or near the school they're attending

"OCI" does mean "on campus interviews" but when people use that term what they are referring to is a week or two week long event that people participate in during the end of the summer between your first and second year. (Sometimes people participate between their second and third year but that isn't very common and occasionally a school like the University of Texas will have an OCI for first year students between their first and second semester but that's generally quite rare)

Not trying to be pedantic, just letting you know what OCI means when people use that term. When it comes to 1L jobs there almost never is an OCI to take part in, people just usually work connections and/or send out applications to jobs with judges/firms/other organizations and they typically don't do that until after Dec 1st of their 1L year.

User avatar
taxman14

Bronze
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Re: Advice for 1L jobs

Postby taxman14 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:17 am

BigZuck wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Do something legal and get excellent grades. Bonus points if whoever you work for has connections to judges (interning for a judge can be helpful if you work for one that gets to knows their interns and is willing to be a reference for you), but there is no one kind of job that's looked for.

Edit: actually, these days, with earlier and earlier applications, if all else is equal, try to do something that will give you a decent real-world writing sample.


Got it ! Makes total sense especially the real world writing sample piece. I was wondering if there's much OCI for things that 1Ls could realistically get or if most just try to network/recruit informally by contacting judges/etc. outside of what is offered through the school and in locations near home or near the school they're attending

"OCI" does mean "on campus interviews" but when people use that term what they are referring to is a week or two week long event that people participate in during the end of the summer between your first and second year. (Sometimes people participate between their second and third year but that isn't very common and occasionally a school like the University of Texas will have an OCI for first year students between their first and second semester but that's generally quite rare)

Not trying to be pedantic, just letting you know what OCI means when people use that term. When it comes to 1L jobs there almost never is an OCI to take part in, people just usually work connections and/or send out applications to jobs with judges/firms/other organizations and they typically don't do that until after Dec 1st of their 1L year.



No worries, I'm not well-versed in this yet so I'm glad you pointed that out. Better to learn now than later. So are you saying that 1Ls just send out resumes and/or writing samples to judges/firms on a cold-email/call basis or is there some help that a strong school (i.e. T14) provides?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Advice for 1L jobs

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:42 am

Your career services office should provide some assistance (my lowly school had a judicial handbook, for instance, listing which of the local judges took interns and what you needed to provide to apply), and your symplicity should have some offerings (some local judges would post when they were taking intern applications). And my school did actually have a spring OCI, which was primarily local public interest stuff (i.e. unpaid, not firms), but did provide some summer placements for 1Ls (usually not judicial). But yes, if you want a judicial internship the simplest/typical thing is to just send applications to judges where you want to be (judges actually usually look for paper apps for internships, at least in my experience). It's not hard to find a judicial internship though so I wouldn't worry. You're also not restricted to a judicial internship - if something else looks more interesting/offers money, go for it.

The real help that a strong school provides is that this is the legal profession and many people care about pedigree and you'll have the T14 on your resume.

User avatar
star fox

Diamond
Posts: 20789
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Advice for 1L jobs

Postby star fox » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:15 pm

For anyone who wants to go Transactional and doesn't get a 1L firm gig then look to in-house as well.

User avatar
taxman14

Bronze
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Re: Advice for 1L jobs

Postby taxman14 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:27 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Your career services office should provide some assistance (my lowly school had a judicial handbook, for instance, listing which of the local judges took interns and what you needed to provide to apply), and your symplicity should have some offerings (some local judges would post when they were taking intern applications). And my school did actually have a spring OCI, which was primarily local public interest stuff (i.e. unpaid, not firms), but did provide some summer placements for 1Ls (usually not judicial). But yes, if you want a judicial internship the simplest/typical thing is to just send applications to judges where you want to be (judges actually usually look for paper apps for internships, at least in my experience). It's not hard to find a judicial internship though so I wouldn't worry. You're also not restricted to a judicial internship - if something else looks more interesting/offers money, go for it.

The real help that a strong school provides is that this is the legal profession and many people care about pedigree and you'll have the T14 on your resume.


Got it thank you so much! I didn't know if there was some legwork that I should really do prior to attending law school or if it was all done once you got there. I assumed that people with prior work experience probably had an advantage, but thank you that clarifies things a bit. I guess I'll just wait for things to shake up with the application process and once I know where I'm attending, I'll start looking into where I'd like to be.

User avatar
Pomeranian

Bronze
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 10:23 pm

Re: Advice for 1L jobs

Postby Pomeranian » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:07 pm

How does working for a public interest/government job for 1L summer look when one's ultimate goal is a private firm job?

20170322

Gold
Posts: 3251
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Advice for 1L jobs

Postby 20170322 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:15 pm

Not to hijack, but I have a connection to the Birmingham market where they hire a good amount of 1L SA's. What's the best way to get one of those gigs? Mass mail?

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Advice for 1L jobs

Postby BigZuck » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:40 pm

Pomeranian wrote:How does working for a public interest/government job for 1L summer look when one's ultimate goal is a private firm job?

Won't be a negative at all, that's super normal.

Woof!

SweetTort wrote:Not to hijack, but I have a connection to the Birmingham market where they hire a good amount of 1L SA's. What's the best way to get one of those gigs? Mass mail?
Best way is probably good grades and have/make personal connections.

Woof!

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31197
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Advice for 1L jobs

Postby Nebby » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:21 pm

taxman14 wrote:Hey!

I know this is super early to ask about, but I was just curious about what kinds of jobs 1Ls typically take or what would be recommended if you wanted to clerk down the line. I have applied to all of the T14 and I think that I'll have a good round, so far already accepted to Duke, but will obviously push for $$$ and wait on the rest of the T14. So assuming that I do attend a T14 what kind of work is typical to get for a 1L and / or what would you recommend to set myself up for if I'd want to clerk down the line.

Thanks!

Grades and getting to know professors who know judges are the two most important parts of getting a clerkship. Also, a lot of judges nowadays are hiring people with work experience. Competitive clerkships (SDNY, EDNY, DDC, NDCal, EDCal) are hiring really early. I know someone who applied to competitive d.court clerkships as a 2L and accepted one that didn't begin until two years after graduation.

Do you have any idea what type of lawyer you want to be? The most conservative route (imo) for a T14 student is to get good grades, get to know well-connected professors, do public interest, government, law firm your first summer, work at a biglaw firm your second summer, apply to clerkships as a 3L that would begin a year or two after you graduate, work at a law firm for a year or two, and then begin your clerkship.



Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests