How did you get here?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
daveh

New

How did you get here?

Postby daveh » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:43 pm

I'm a prospective student wondering what was your story of becoming a lawyer? What did you do in undergraduate studies and at the time during law school?

Young Marino

Silver

Re: How did you get here?

Postby Young Marino » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:24 pm

I'm not a lawyer just yet but I graduate in May. When I was 16, I took an entertainment law class in high school and fell in love with the law. Everything about. How sophisticated it is. How lucrative it can be. How much power it can afford you to make a positive difference in society. So from that point on, I focused all my efforts on getting here now. Went to a four college majored in a bs liberal arts major that afforded me the opportunity to take law related courses. Took a few years off and worked at my local DA's office. Finally went to law school and got through 1Hell. Now I'm in 3Lol trying to figure what's next (after the bar of course). I plan to start sending out my resume as graduation nears but have faith that all will work out as it's supposed to.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:40 pm

Young Marino wrote:I'm not a lawyer just yet but I graduate in May. When I was 16, I took an entertainment law class in high school and fell in love with the law. Everything about. How sophisticated it is. How lucrative it can be. How much power it can afford you to make a positive difference in society. So from that point on, I focused all my efforts on getting here now. Went to a four college majored in a bs liberal arts major that afforded me the opportunity to take law related courses. Took a few years off and worked at my local DA's office. Finally went to law school and got through 1Hell. Now I'm in 3Lol trying to figure what's next (after the bar of course). I plan to start sending out my resume as graduation nears but have faith that all will work out as it's supposed to.

:D

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:04 pm

As a freshman I had a poli sci professor who was a former attorney. I loved everything about her. She's one of those people who talks to a room full of people and everyone listens to what she has to say.

Back then I was set on doing something else. But after spending a lot of time in her office chatting about my career, she convinced me that law school was right for me.

I did tons of research, spent time in court, talked to attorneys, judges, and decided a career in law was in fact more suitable for me.

I had changed my major to poli sci, not because I thought it'd be better for law, but because I really enjoyed the classes and the discussions... which ultimately had a lot to do with law.

I went to law school and took many practical type of internships/courses. I thought I wanted to be a trial attorney come in to law school, but after several semesters at the DAs office I realized I liked litigation, but not day in and out. I also liked contracts, but I didn't want to do biglaw.

So by a process of elimination and pure luck, I ended up with an offer to be in civil (government) practice involving transnational and litigation work.

Then I got barred, and now I practice.

The irony is that it never occurred to me to ask this professor why she was no longer practicing.

nunumaster

Silver

Postby nunumaster » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:33 pm

Took a business law class in college, thought it was cool. Promptly forgot about it and worked for a few years. Got bored of career and took the LSAT just because I was excited about the idea of taking on something new. Ended up doing well enough on it where it made sense to actually quit a $$$ career to attend. Law schools been almost 3 years of vacation thus far.

patentlitigatrix

Silver

Postby patentlitigatrix » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:19 pm

I worked as engineer for many years. I am an inventor on some patents, and I became more and more interested in patent law as I worked with the attorneys at my company. Eventually quit my engineering job, went to law school, and now do patent lit.
Last edited by patentlitigatrix on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Postby White Dwarf » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:18 am

I was pre-med in undergrad, but discovered that my no-name state school of a college was going to keep me out of any even semi-prestigious medical schools (At least, I assume that's what the issue was. I had several friends from that college try to go the same route and get similar results). I applied to 18 schools with very competitive numbers and didn't even get a single interview.

I also volunteered in a hospital the year I applied, and realized that I would rather flip burgers than go back to that environment. I had taken a practice LSAT in undergrad and done really well, so basically I just talked myself into law school from there. I'm happy with my decision so far.

haus

Gold

Postby haus » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:01 pm

I was a non-trad graduate student working on a degree in IT, while doing InfoSec work for various fed agencies (was a contractor). One of my professors put forth the idea that the biggest security problems were not technical in nature, but instead problems with related to contracts and regulation, made worse by the gulf between those who work with these items and those who perform the technical.

At first I did not buy into the professor's view point, but after several more years of work and school, and observing several disturbing problems that demonstrated the professor view had real merit. Eventually, I came around to the notion that I could find a way to use two plus decades of IT/InfoSec experience in conjunction with a a law degree, hopefully I will be able to help lessen/prevent some of these problems in the future.

heythatslife

Silver

Postby heythatslife » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:07 pm

Mine's a pretty mundane story.

Originally had aspirations for academia in a humanities field. Those dreams fizzled out (even my faculty advisor cautioned me against it, telling me how tough it has now become to get an academic appointment), so I was lost as to what to do next. I graduated with a totally unemployable major but I did have a very good GPA and I was confident of my ability to take standardized tests, so I gave LSAT a try. My old man, before he passed away, had always wanted me to become a lawyer, and as much as I had resisted the idea when he had been around, now I thought, "Shit, maybe he was right all along. Not like I have any other good plan right now."

Now - a biglaw offer in pocket, just 3LOL'ing it. Will probably end up in a transactional practice group.

Big Red

Gold

Postby Big Red » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:35 pm

I accepted that I was going to feel meh about work no matter what I did, and figured law was probably value maximizing considering my skill set. FWIW I've enjoyed law school a lot more than I thought I would, but I'm sure I'll settle into meh once I start practicing

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?