Employability of Non US Citizens

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
malayalihoya

New

Employability of Non US Citizens

Postby malayalihoya » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:42 pm

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the process of preparing for the LSATs and applying for law school. Although I did my undergrad at Georgetown and have had my sights set on pursuing a J.D. for a while, I'm a bit hesitant because I am not a US citizen and I'm not sure how much that factors into hiring decisions for Big Law firms. Assuming I'm an average student at a top 14 law school, how difficult would it be for me to land a job with an employer willing to sponsor me? Could someone walk me through the immigration process involved in working as lawyer in the US?

For what its worth, it might also be useful to point out that I'm from India.

grades??

Silver

Re: Employability of Non US Citizens

Postby grades?? » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:12 pm

Not an international student but just went through OCI at a mid t14. The international kids without dual citizenship with the USA really struggled for seemingly no reason other than they would need to be sponsored. Just my experience from afar.

jawsjawsjaws

Bronze

Postby jawsjawsjaws » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:24 pm

Current 2L international student at T6 who just went thru OCI. One firm asked me if I need visa sponsorship, and the interview went downhill from there. But my feeling was that the majority of the firms don't care, while some do. Almost all of my friends who are international students at my school have SA positions lined up, as far as I know.

TAD

Bronze

Postby TAD » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:38 pm

Don't mean to high jack this thread but I was wondering how it is for Canadians since you can use a tn visa and don't need an employer to sponsor you for that visa?

despina

Bronze

Postby despina » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:26 pm

I've posted on this topic previously. Hope it's helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=258595&p=9074004&hilit=visa#p9074004

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?