Financial Aid Disbursement Timing

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PDX4343

Silver

Financial Aid Disbursement Timing

Postby PDX4343 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:11 pm

I was hoping some of you could give me some insight into the normal time-frame that schools disburse financial aid. Really, I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a portion of the money I'll get back for living expenses to help cover moving costs? Or would that not work timing-wise?

Thanks!

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Financial Aid Disbursement Timing

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:14 pm

PDX4343 wrote:I was hoping some of you could give me some insight into the normal time-frame that schools disburse financial aid. Really, I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a portion of the money I'll get back for living expenses to help cover moving costs? Or would that not work timing-wise?

Thanks!

Varies by school. They should have their policies available in some form on websites. Might be helpful for you to list schools you're looking at rather than getting a shotgun of responses

PDX4343

Silver

Postby PDX4343 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:17 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:I was hoping some of you could give me some insight into the normal time-frame that schools disburse financial aid. Really, I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a portion of the money I'll get back for living expenses to help cover moving costs? Or would that not work timing-wise?

Thanks!

Varies by school. They should have their policies available in some form on websites. Might be helpful for you to list schools you're looking at rather than getting a shotgun of responses

For sure. Wasn't sure if it varied or not. I'm considering:
- UVA
- Penn
- GULC
- Duke

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:20 pm

I mean, my first instinct is that they vary by the start date. Duke didn't get them out until about 2 or 3 weeks after starting. To me at least. Some people got them a bit sooner (by a few days or a week...depends when the bursar got to your name)

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Postby BmoreOrLess » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:59 am

PDX4343 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:

Thanks!

For sure. Wasn't sure if it varied or not. I'm considering:
- UVA
- Penn
- GULC
- Duke

GULC is during orientation week or the first week of classes.

One option is to put the expenses on a credit card, assuming you're not already carrying a balance and will incur the expenses during August. You shouldn't need to pay off the card until September to avoid any finance charges.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?