Page 16 of 17

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:37 am
by A. Nony Mouse
TheSpanishMain wrote:Starting 1L in the fall, looking at picking up some of the more commonly mentioned supplements. I know some may or may not be helpful depending on the individual professor, but a few (Chemerinsky's con law supplement, for example...I think Glannon for civ procedure, too?) seem to be specifically mentioned in all the 1L success threads. I'm not planning on actually reading them prior to starting school, but I figured I'd check Amazon periodically to see if any of them showed up for cheap.

Anyway, is this http://www.amazon.com/Constitutional-Law-Principles-Policies-Treatise/dp/0735598975 the Chemerinsky supplement everyone mentions? Because this shit is like 900 pages. Just doesn't seem like a "supplement" so much as a regular textbook, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

You're doing it right. It's just incredibly long. (You shouldn't need to read remotely the whole thing; most Con Law classes don't cover everything. Mine didn't address First Amendment because there was a separate First Amendment course. Some people's classes don't go over personal liberties. Etc.)

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:47 am
by TheSpanishMain
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Starting 1L in the fall, looking at picking up some of the more commonly mentioned supplements. I know some may or may not be helpful depending on the individual professor, but a few (Chemerinsky's con law supplement, for example...I think Glannon for civ procedure, too?) seem to be specifically mentioned in all the 1L success threads. I'm not planning on actually reading them prior to starting school, but I figured I'd check Amazon periodically to see if any of them showed up for cheap.

Anyway, is this http://www.amazon.com/Constitutional-Law-Principles-Policies-Treatise/dp/0735598975 the Chemerinsky supplement everyone mentions? Because this shit is like 900 pages. Just doesn't seem like a "supplement" so much as a regular textbook, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

You're doing it right. It's just incredibly long. (You shouldn't need to read remotely the whole thing; most Con Law classes don't cover everything. Mine didn't address First Amendment because there was a separate First Amendment course. Some people's classes don't go over personal liberties. Etc.)


Gotcha. So it's more of a "I don't understand concept x, I'll read this chapter on x" not a "I'll read this tome before exams." type thing.

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:59 am
by A. Nony Mouse
TheSpanishMain wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Starting 1L in the fall, looking at picking up some of the more commonly mentioned supplements. I know some may or may not be helpful depending on the individual professor, but a few (Chemerinsky's con law supplement, for example...I think Glannon for civ procedure, too?) seem to be specifically mentioned in all the 1L success threads. I'm not planning on actually reading them prior to starting school, but I figured I'd check Amazon periodically to see if any of them showed up for cheap.

Anyway, is this http://www.amazon.com/Constitutional-Law-Principles-Policies-Treatise/dp/0735598975 the Chemerinsky supplement everyone mentions? Because this shit is like 900 pages. Just doesn't seem like a "supplement" so much as a regular textbook, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

You're doing it right. It's just incredibly long. (You shouldn't need to read remotely the whole thing; most Con Law classes don't cover everything. Mine didn't address First Amendment because there was a separate First Amendment course. Some people's classes don't go over personal liberties. Etc.)


Gotcha. So it's more of a "I don't understand concept x, I'll read this chapter on x" not a "I'll read this tome before exams." type thing.

Yup. I think with Con Law, depending on your prof and how they teach, there's enough not-understanding going on that a lot of people find the book worth it despite its heft and how much of it you don't read. I lucked out and had an AMAZING Con Law prof, so I didn't use it very much, but it is very good. (Of course, others have done great relying on Wikipedia for the basics. But if you want a supplement, that's the one everyone talks about.)

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:29 pm
by The Dark Shepard
Would I be ok if I got Chemerinsky for Constitutional Law and E&E for everything else? And not get anymore? Or should I be getting more supplements?

Also, do school law libraries usually have any of them?

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:36 pm
by sublime
..

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:46 pm
by albanach
sublime wrote:Civ Pro - Freer and Glannon are the two go to's. Important that this supplement is the newest edition, more than the others. I prefer Freer, but both are good. Glannon actually has two, and most seem to prefer his E & E over his Glannon guide here.


Have there been significant changes to the Federal Rules necessitating a newer edition?

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:18 am
by sublime
..

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:34 pm
by albanach
sublime wrote:
albanach wrote:
sublime wrote:Civ Pro - Freer and Glannon are the two go to's. Important that this supplement is the newest edition, more than the others. I prefer Freer, but both are good. Glannon actually has two, and most seem to prefer his E & E over his Glannon guide here.


Have there been significant changes to the Federal Rules necessitating a newer edition?



No changes in the Federal Rules themselves but lots of movement on the Supreme Court's interpretation of them. Civ Pro os the one you definitely want to have an updated book for. Con Law (depending what your prof teaches) is the other one.


ConLaw? Seriously? I have to disagree on both of these. Almost every case you will study in ConLaw will be decades old. Anything new and significant will be easy to identify for either topic from the case date.

The 6th Edition of Glannon's E&E lasted five years. Chemerinsky's Con Law also lasted five years between editions. These are two of the slowest moving 1L subjects.

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:39 pm
by sublime
..

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:36 pm
by A. Nony Mouse
Yeah, I agree that Con Law and Civ Pro are the 2 things that change the most year to year. (My Con Law prof also focused on issues like executive powers/war on terror, AA, and equal protection - thankfully she wasn't interested in e.g. Marbury v. Madison so we flew through that.)

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:53 pm
by albanach
sublime wrote:I disagree with you completely about civ pro. Twombly, Iqbal, Wal-Mart v. Duke, Shady Grove, and others are essential in civpro and all came out within the past several years.


Twombly - seven years ago
Iqbal - five years ago
Shady Grove - five years ago

Only Dukes is recent, and it's now three years old and might make up one or two classes at most, and only then if you get a CivPro professor that's heavy on class actions.

Of all the cases you study, you're looking at less than ten and probably fewer than five important ones that are from the last decade. Several will be in the prior edition of your supplement. If any are absent, stick your head in the library and photocopy the four or five relevant pages.

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:52 pm
by randomstudent
1. Among many other things, 28 U.S.C. ยง 1391 (the statute relating to venue) was amended pretty recently. The Federal Rules of Civil Procedure themselves are also about to be amended.

Of course, for Con Law, the Supreme Court comes out with important decisions every year.

So for both Civ Pro and Con Law, I would get the latest version of the supplement. I mean, if you want, you can do what albanach recommended and look up newer cases in the library as necessary, but it's sort of a hassle to read a supplement while trying to keep straight what is still accurate and what has been superseded.

2. For Contracts, and (even more so) for Property, knock yourself out if you want to get an older version of the supplement. When you're studying rules that have been around since the 1600s, there's not going to be much of a difference between a book published in 2010 and a book published in 2014.

3. Crim Law is halfway in between these two extremes.

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:26 pm
by The Dark Shepard
If my law professor assigned a ConLaw supplement, should I still get Chemerinsky?

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:52 pm
by thisislife49
With SO many suggestions out there.... who can really narrow down how to choose the best casebooks? Supplemental guides? What classes they are essential for? And their personal preferences? This can all get a bit overwhelming and confusing!

Do all casebooks cover the same material discussed in our specific torts, contracts, etc. books even though they are written by different authors?

Just looking for some guidance!

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:36 am
by A. Nony Mouse
Casebooks are what your prof assigns, so you don't have to choose those. Collections of case briefs and outlines are generally keyed to particular casebooks, so you choose the one that goes with your casebook. E&Es and nutshells are more general and will cover the general topics found in the typical contracts/torts/etc. class, but your prof will probably focus more heavily on some topics than the supplement does, and skip others entirely. So you will find them more/less helpful depending on how your professor teaches.

Which to choose is entirely up to personal preference. Some people find commercial outlines helpful for organizing the material, some people find it helpful to read canned briefs about assigned cases to save time/make sure they're getting the point of the reading, some people find it helpful to read general treatise-type supplements. Your law school library will have copies of all these things and you can look at them and decide which ones, if any, work for you.

Also, the rest of this thread is filled with more details on your questions.

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:38 pm
by thefive
Awesome thread. Thanks.

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:20 am
by brendensmith
mod edit: spam

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:41 pm
by A.Taarabt7
a lot of the websites in OP doesn't work. I read through this entire thread but didn't see anyone mention it, so I thought I woud bring it up to OPs attention.

Any way to restore them or no? they are gone forever?

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:43 pm
by A. Nony Mouse
A.Taarabt7 wrote:a lot of the websites in OP doesn't work. I read through this entire thread but didn't see anyone mention it, so I thought I woud bring it up to OPs attention.

Any way to restore them or no? they are gone forever?

Unfortunately, anything that's gone is gone (I think there's an archives somewhere that the mods can access, but it's not generally accessible). I've edited the OP to get rid of the dead links, so what's there is all available (as of today, anyway).

For what it's worth, though, the dead links are going to be really old at this point, so I'm not sure you're missing much. Many of the topics recur again and again in the law students forum and the Ask a Law Student/Grad forum, and I'm pretty sure everything with a dead link was either obsolete, or has been addressed more recently.

I will take a look at those forums to see if there are other threads that would be useful to link in the OP, but if any of you come across any that you think are worth linking, please feel free to PM me and I'll add them.

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:53 pm
by LawsRUs
Forumadmin said they were accessible through this website, http://archive.org/web/, which I had been using.

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:57 pm
by A. Nony Mouse
Ooops. Well, yes, they are, as is everything that has been posted on the internet. I have clearly now gone and deleted those links, so I apologize for that.

But honestly, I do think much of what was linked was very old in law school terms. Let me work on putting some more current links in place.

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:19 pm
by LawsRUs
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Ooops. Well, yes, they are, as is everything that has been posted on the internet. I have clearly now gone and deleted those links, so I apologize for that.

But honestly, I do think much of what was linked was very old in law school terms. Let me work on putting some more current links in place.


Thanks Nony. But you're right in that a lot of the threads were repetitive and the same of what current students are saying / have been saying.

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:34 pm
by Ris19
Tagging, thanks!

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:07 pm
by A.Taarabt7
I looked through my browser history and I still have the links. I already put them into the archive website provided and have been reading them. If need be, I can post up the archive link to each thread that was deleted? Some good info in some of these threads. The rest have, like you said, been posted in the forums recently(e.g. review GTM, Law School Confidential, Use of study groups, etc)

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:09 pm
by A. Nony Mouse
A.Taarabt7 wrote:I looked through my browser history and I still have the links. I already put them into the archive website provided and have been reading them. If need be, I can post up the archive link to each thread that was deleted? Some good info in some of these threads. The rest have, like you said, been posted in the forums recently(e.g. review GTM, Law School Confidential, Use of study groups, etc)

If you'd like to post the archive links to the old threads, that would be much appreciated, particularly any threads you don't think have been duplicated in more recent discussions. Thank you.