COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
XxSpyKEx

Gold

Re: If you could ONLY buy 1 study guide for each class...

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:34 am

K = EE and/or Emanuels
Torts = Nothing is good, and nothing is needed
Civ Pro = Glannon is a god
Property = Gilberts

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:02 am

Suggestions for Wills and Trusts?

*devo*

New

Post by *devo* » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:00 pm

Great info. Thanks.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:53 pm

orangeswarm wrote:
stuffedburrito wrote:
paul1454 wrote:Contracts: E&E (but the Emanuels outline is a close second)

Property: Emanuels

Torts: Emanuels

Civ Pro: Glannon Guide hands down

I have no opinon on the rest.
Why do you prefer Emanuels over EE?
They are completely different in terms of how they convey information. EE is a textbook style format (you know, paragraphs and stuff), while Emanuels is organized into more of an outline format (although it still has paragraphs). I prefer less information.
:wink:
For a look at the organization of an Emanuels: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/073556 ... rd_i=typ01

yqsong

New

Post by yqsong » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:59 pm

bump

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dreday3223

New

Post by dreday3223 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:29 am

Which is better CrunchTime or the Full Emanuels?
Emanuels seems more in depth than CrunchTime but I am not sure everything that is mentioned in Emanuels is needed. I am just wary of using CrunchTime because I feel like I will be missing something. However, this semester has been a trying one and I have not been able to actually sit down and outline like I should. What do the almight TLSers think.

In addition, would CrunchTime with E&E be helpful or overkill?

Thanks guys and continue the great work!!!

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:07 pm

dreday3223 wrote:Which is better CrunchTime or the Full Emanuels?
Emanuels seems more in depth than CrunchTime but I am not sure everything that is mentioned in Emanuels is needed. I am just wary of using CrunchTime because I feel like I will be missing something. However, this semester has been a trying one and I have not been able to actually sit down and outline like I should. What do the almight TLSers think.

In addition, would CrunchTime with E&E be helpful or overkill?

Thanks guys and continue the great work!!!
IMO, for substantive information, you mine as well just get the full Emanuels because it has the capsule summary that is essentially crunchtime in it. Also, the capsule summary is far from great because there will be areas in your casebook that dwell on certain areas that might not be covered in the capsule summary very well, but may be in the full outline.

Garinold

New

Post by Garinold » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:22 pm

From what I have learned about commercial aids from frequenting this site is that it is best to get the commercial aids that your professor suggests and/or that are keyed to your casebook. If that is solid advice, than why would Gilberts be fundamentally better than Emanuels on certain subject matter and vice versa? More to the point, what exactly are the fundamental differences between Gilberts and Emanuels, and why do people stress certain ones over others for certain subject matter (assuming the reasoning is that their professor suggested one guide over the other)?

thanks

kiwislug

Bronze

Post by kiwislug » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:13 pm

Garinold wrote:From what I have learned about commercial aids from frequenting this site is that it is best to get the commercial aids that your professor suggests and/or that are keyed to your casebook. If that is solid advice, than why would Gilberts be fundamentally better than Emanuels on certain subject matter and vice versa? More to the point, what exactly are the fundamental differences between Gilberts and Emanuels, and why do people stress certain ones over others for certain subject matter (assuming the reasoning is that their professor suggested one guide over the other)?

thanks
I'm not sure but I don't think profs recommend Gilberts or Emanuels since they are commercial outlines [while they might recommend E&Es or Hornbooks.]

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chalis8

New

Post by chalis8 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:36 pm

kiwislug wrote:
Garinold wrote:From what I have learned about commercial aids from frequenting this site is that it is best to get the commercial aids that your professor suggests and/or that are keyed to your casebook. If that is solid advice, than why would Gilberts be fundamentally better than Emanuels on certain subject matter and vice versa? More to the point, what exactly are the fundamental differences between Gilberts and Emanuels, and why do people stress certain ones over others for certain subject matter (assuming the reasoning is that their professor suggested one guide over the other)?

thanks
I'm not sure but I don't think profs recommend Gilberts or Emanuels since they are commercial outlines [while they might recommend E&Es or Hornbooks.]
I did have one prof recommend the Gilberts (for property because we used the Krier book). Although I think it's very rare for them to actually suggest any commercial outline at all. All the rest of my profs have stressed that we *shouldn't* need any supplements at all to do well in their classes (not that I agree :) ). A couple of profs have included "recommended reading" on the syllabus which is usually hornbooks.

There aren't huge differences between Gilbert's and Emanuels in terms of content. They all have MUCH more information than you'll need for a class. It's more of a personal preference. I personally like the way that Gilbert's is laid out because I think it's easier to read.

Hyder

New

Post by Hyder » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:22 pm

Please clarify/correct some things for a curious 0L here:

Emanuel= Supplements which are in full detail and come in outlines(crunchtime) ?
Gilbert= Same set up as Emanuel but different Author ?
Explanations and Examples(dense and detailed supplements)?

Casebooks(excerpts from legal cases)?
Hornbooks?

Is it best to get E&E series to get a basic overview before 1L.

My approach- I am not trying to "learn" anything, but rather want to gain familiarity and some sort of comfort level before my first semester.

What supplements are best for someone with my approach^?

Thanks a lot.

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:47 pm

Yeah I'm a bit confused as well after reading this thread- so for each class, you should have the"E&E" as well as a "hornbook", plus a "commercial outline"... and all of this is in addition to the casebook?

How many books per class are we talking about? this is starting to sound scary...

chalis8

New

Post by chalis8 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:52 pm

That sounds like a giant waste of your summer to me. Contrary to what all the 0L's on this site seem to believe (even though a resounding number of actual law students continually assert this point) reading supplements over the summer really won't give you any sort of edge.

It's not like you need to have these supplemental materials for day one. You probably won't really need to start using them until a couple weeks (or a couple months) into first semester... if you decide to use them at all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:28 pm

Post I made in another thread seems relevant here:

Supplement selection is not a universal matter, though some are better than others and there is often one that is most popular.

In my opinion, this is what you should do:

1. Use any supplement written by your professor. If none, then...

2. Use any supplement that your professor recommends highly (i.e., a hornbook or something, not just something they mention that might be of academic interest). If none, then...

3. Use any supplement that is written by the author of your casebook.

If none of the above is an option, then I think you should take the following factors into account when selecting a supplement, placing quite a bit more emphasis on #1 than #2:

1. Pick a supplement that fits your learning style. Go to the bookstore/library and read them a bit and see what you like better. For example, I prefer rule-based outlines and succinct treatises over explanatory texts. Thus, I did not really enjoy Chirelstein for Contracts even though most people absolutely love it. The classic EE's (torts, civpro) are better, but even those don't really do it for me, and they are supposed to be the holy grail of supplements.

2. Take into account what other people recommend (e.g., TLS).

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:04 pm

Civil Procedure: The Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure: Learning Civil Procedure Through Multiple-Choice Questions and Analysis by Glannon
--LinkRemoved-- ... schools-20

NOT to be confused with Civil Procedure: Examples & Explanations 5th edition, also by Glannon, but which is NOT recommended as highly as the previous book.
--LinkRemoved-- ... schools-20

Here I want the Glannon Guide, not the Glannon E&E, correct?
Now I never used the Glannon Guide, so I won't make a determination as to which one is "better."

Having said that, the E and E is god's gift to Civil Procedure. With the E and E you actually APPLY your civil procedure knowledge to hypotheticals, and then you check your replies against the "answers."

The chapter where you combine the "3 rings" of jurisdiction (SMJ, PJ, Venue) is perhaps the finest chapter out of any law book I've read this year. I went through all the chapters and problems twice and I earned an A in Civ Pro.

I cannot stress enough how important and useful the E and E was. It was professor recommended and EVERYONE used it. (Though very few people used it to the extent I did...you must actually DO every problem, and even write out answers for some major ones if you really want to get the most out of this book.)

Again, I can't compare the two because I've never read the Glannon Guide, but ignore the E and E at your own peril!

If cost is a big deal, you can check your law library...they will undoubtedly have multiple copies of the E and E for you to use for free!

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:25 am

SteelReserve wrote: The chapter where you combine the "3 rings" of jurisdiction (SMJ, PJ, Venue) is perhaps the finest chapter out of any law book I've read this year.
+1

The only thing that sucks is (if you have a 2 semester civ pro class) that the E&E barely covers the FRCP, and our class covered practically every rule in the FRCP (as I would imagine most 2 semester civ pro classes would between both semesters). And after reading the E&E, which actually makes an otherwise dull topic interesting, going to Emanuels for civ pro sucks.

chalis8

New

Post by chalis8 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:07 pm

SteelReserve wrote:
Again, I can't compare the two because I've never read the Glannon Guide, but ignore the E and E at your own peril!
Agreed. The Glannon Guide is basically short excerpts of the E&E chapters followed by multiple choice questions. I found it really useful as a quick review of certain topics, but the E&E was much more thorough and better for actually learning CivPro. If you have a multiple choice exam it's especially useful (although I'm not sure how many multiple choice exams are actually given in Civ Pro)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:11 pm

good thread. never saw this before

elsboiler

New

Post by elsboiler » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:22 pm

this is a great thread.. would you guys recommend reading these before school starts?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:25 pm

elsboiler wrote:this is a great thread.. would you guys recommend reading these before school starts?
90+% of the 2Ls on here say no.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri May 01, 2009 6:41 pm

From now on, ALL 0Ls should direct their questions about study guides to this thread. I recommend reading the whole thread through first, because it's likely your question has already been answered.

If you start a new thread about this same topic, be prepared that it might be locked because it's annoying.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

transferguy

New

Post by transferguy » Sat May 02, 2009 4:25 am

I will also verify that Glannon Civ Pro E&E is hands down the best supplement I've ever read and it's not even close.

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Sat May 02, 2009 7:38 am

lilybbloom wrote:Yeah I'm a bit confused as well after reading this thread- so for each class, you should have the"E&E" as well as a "hornbook", plus a "commercial outline"... and all of this is in addition to the casebook?

How many books per class are we talking about? this is starting to sound scary...
It's good to have some of these on hand, but it's not like you will be reading all of these side texts in their entirety. From my communications with classmates and from what I have learned when glancing around in their apartments, it seems most people have 0-2/3 of the supplementary books listed above. Commercial outlines help if you are trying to figure out what the particular elements of a rule are when you are reviewing at the end of the semester. Hornbooks usually give a straightforward overview of a subject that can be illuminating, but the authors often take detours into complex matters that you won't be responsible for knowing, so even if you do want to dive into one of these, you'll need to do targeted readings so you only spend time learning concepts that show up on your syllabus. The actual chapters in E&Es function like abbreviated hornbook readings, so you probably won't need to read these for each subject if you are also going the hornbook route or just paying attention in class. The value of E&Es lies in the analytical distinctions that you pick up on when answering the attendant questions, and these can usually be studied fairly quickly.

lishi

Silver

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Post by lishi » Thu May 07, 2009 7:09 pm

ATTENTION ALL 0LS: now in the first post of this thread is a list of links to most of your questions. PLEASE check this link before asking a question that can be found there.

Also make sure to thank kimber1028 for helping us compile all of these links!!

annapavlova

Bronze

Re: COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc

Post by annapavlova » Fri May 08, 2009 9:12 am

Kick-ass sticky - a one-stop shop, if you will.

Thanks Lishi and Kimber!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”