Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AgentSmithers

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:54 pm

Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby AgentSmithers » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:31 am

Hi Everyone,
I would firstly like to introduce myself. I am looking forward to finishing my degree and attending law school within the next two years, mostly interesting in criminal law. I was first introduced in the matter as an IT professional about 8 years ago and ever since felt that I haven't changed my mind about it so I'm biting the bullet and moving into the field of law ^^. The majority of my experience believe it or not was specific traffic violations (no I do not have any currently ^^) so the majority of my work in the legal friend was usually battling with speeding tickets which sparked my interest. Over the years as my interest grew I found some of my education in the field decommissioned due to the explanation of a lot of details when it came to legal practices and as troublesome as it is, decypering alot of the text can be a bit rough without the aid of a teacher. Anyhow I am glad to be apart of this forum at the next 5 years to come as I move to become a member of the California bar!

Anyways, on to the good stuff.
I have been reading the evidence code very heavily and was wondering. The way E.C. 1280 speaks of a Public employee, Are they referring to an employee of a Public entity (An entity that publicly trades stock). A peace officer is considered a government employee and his documents would only fall under the business record exception if a Custodian testify as to the record mode yada yada yada, correct?.

And 803, Public record cannot be used to prove a criminal matter? Am I reading that right?

Thanks for everyone's input! I am looking forward to everyone's response and welcoming to the forum!
-Agent

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:10 am

This isn't a forum for legal advice (which is what asking for an interpretation of a statute is).

However, my advice would be to stop reading evidence codes and start preparing for the LSAT, which has absolutely nothing to do with pre-existing legal knowledge.

User avatar
banjo

Silver
Posts: 1351
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby banjo » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:24 am

I am not a CA lawyer, but you're probably looking at one of the million exceptions to the hearsay rule. Probably the one that covers police reports and the like (nothing to do with publicly traded companies). You'll cover that in depth in law school, so there's no need to worry about it now.

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby pancakes3 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:30 am

I'm not sure what input you're looking for other than for someone to explain hearsay exceptions to you - which is what law school is for. You need to be focusing on getting your GPA and LSAT as high as possible for law school admission purposes - and that's it. There's really nothing to be gained from learning the law as a 0L.

eta: scooped

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:26 am

Also, if you replace, "Soon to be Law Student" with "Harry Potter" in the thread title, this becomes infinitely more enjoyable.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29316
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:35 am

I don't know why you're worrying about this, but am pretty sure public employee = employee of the state or a municipality, not an entity publicly trading stocks. So a peace officer would be a public employee.

803 doesn't appear to be about a public record at all. It just says that if someone doesn't have a proper basis for their opinion the court will exclude it.

AgentSmithers

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby AgentSmithers » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:09 pm

Thanks for the Chime in. I'm not looking for advice. Advice is one asking for what another would do in a particular situation. I was asking for clarification. Nothing wrong with getting ahead of the game, I'm currently taking the LSAT prep test from LSAC.org, Seems pretty single. It's just a bunch of critical thinking. Seems that not studying ahead would just make the experience a bit of an Ambush, i know everyone does that by going to lawschool and not knowing about the Rules of Evidence but what's wrong with prepping ahead of time anyways. I still have a year left to get my degree to enter law school anyways?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29316
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:12 pm

Reading the evidence code is not going to prepare you in any way for law school. If you find it interesting for whatever reason you do you, but even if you wanted to prep ahead of time (which is not necessary/often counterproductive), reading the evidence code is not the way to do so.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby BigZuck » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:12 pm

You're going to "learn" a bunch of stuff that either your professor thinks is wrong, is actually wrong, or is irrelevant.

Don't worry about doing any prep, just focus on the LSAT.

AgentSmithers

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby AgentSmithers » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:18 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Reading the evidence code is not going to prepare you in any way for law school. If you find it interesting for whatever reason you do you, but even if you wanted to prep ahead of time (which is not necessary/often counterproductive), reading the evidence code is not the way to do so.


I saw doing some searching around and Corrnell Law seems to have alot of materiel on Bar exam test and alot of them seem to of had to do with explaining why specific pieces of evidence would or would not be used at trial.
SRC: http://thelawprofessoronline.com/EVIDEN ... _MODEL.doc

Once the LSAT is completed, What should I work on in the meantime if not the evidence code to prep for law school?

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby BigZuck » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:05 pm

You should not do any prep for law school for the reasons I explained above

Crush the LSAT, apply, and then enjoy your time not in law school by doing nothing related to law school.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:35 pm

BigZuck wrote:You should not do any prep for law school for the reasons I explained above

Crush the LSAT, apply, and then enjoy your time not in law school by doing nothing related to law school.


This. 100% this.

When everyone is telling you that reading random codes and statutes is pointless, listen. Best case, you're wasting your time. Worst case, you're actually setting yourself up with some extremely bad preconceptions that wreck your 1L grades.

Also, when you say you're "currently taking" the free practice LSAT, that implies that you're not taking it all at once, or at the very least, you aren't timing yourself. Assuming that's the case, whatever score you get on that really "simple" practice test is completely useless as a diagnostic.

User avatar
Fianna13

Bronze
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby Fianna13 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:41 pm

Crush the LSAT, write a good personal statement, then enjoy your time off before 1L. I thought 1L gunners were bad, and here's this guy/gal reading evidence code before taking the LSAT...

AgentSmithers

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby AgentSmithers » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:03 pm

I have the LSTAT test from 2005. It just basically critical thinking. Anything really to note on this?

User avatar
mjb447

Silver
Posts: 1279
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby mjb447 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:12 pm

The LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum here boasts 370935 posts on 20295 topics. So, maybe?

viewforum.php?f=6

AgentSmithers

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby AgentSmithers » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:16 pm

mjb447 wrote:The LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum here boasts 370935 posts on 20295 topics. So, maybe?

viewforum.php?f=6


Enough said, Sounds good. So once in law school does this forum discourage talking about specific parts of the course like above?

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:04 pm

AgentSmithers wrote:
mjb447 wrote:The LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum here boasts 370935 posts on 20295 topics. So, maybe?

viewforum.php?f=6


Enough said, Sounds good. So once in law school does this forum discourage talking about specific parts of the course like above?


When you're in law school, you won't be asking those questions, because that's really not how the law is taught. And you also won't be taking Evidence right away, so there's that.

First, get into law school, which is going to require more than glancing at an LSAT and saying, "Boy, that looks easy."

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby pancakes3 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:10 pm

the LSAT is easy. the problem is that it's fast, and you need to be perfect. shooting a basketball is easy, but if you want to make 55/60 within a minute, you'll probably have to train a bit and take it seriously.

also, once in law school, you'll still probably want to talk to your professor about points of law that you don't understand. people do ask questions about the black letter law and people do help, but it's not common.

lastly, the reason people are hesitant to answer your question is that it requires a lot of background information that wouldn't be worth their/our time to spell out. you're asking about a hearsay exception, which requires a discussion on what is hearsay, and then context of how hearsay fits into the rules of evidence... you just need to take evidence.

User avatar
Nagster5

Silver
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:28 am

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby Nagster5 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:23 am

Just as an example of why everyone is saying you're wasting your time: you will likely never have to study the rules of evidence in law school. Evidence and crim pro are not required courses at most schools. If you take an elective that does cover it, teachers will not cover the whole thing, and may have their own ideas about what is important or which interpretations are correct, which will be what you're going to be graded on. As literally everyone in this thread has indicated, if you want to spend time preparing for law school, stop studying the law and focus on getting a better GPA or prepping for the LSAT. The LSAT is not easy and takes a lot of prep to maximize your potential score. If you just find the rules of evidence fascinating, then enjoy yourself, but you're doing nothing productive toward getting into a decent school or doing better once you get there, and you are likely only setting yourself up for confusion.

AgentSmithers

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby AgentSmithers » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:25 pm

Nagster5 wrote:Just as an example of why everyone is saying you're wasting your time: you will likely never have to study the rules of evidence in law school. Evidence and crim pro are not required courses at most schools. If you take an elective that does cover it, teachers will not cover the whole thing, and may have their own ideas about what is important or which interpretations are correct, which will be what you're going to be graded on. As literally everyone in this thread has indicated, if you want to spend time preparing for law school, stop studying the law and focus on getting a better GPA or prepping for the LSAT. The LSAT is not easy and takes a lot of prep to maximize your potential score. If you just find the rules of evidence fascinating, then enjoy yourself, but you're doing nothing productive toward getting into a decent school or doing better once you get there, and you are likely only setting yourself up for confusion.


Will do. *goes back to the drawing boards*

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby zot1 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:12 pm

Being a lawyer isn't actually about knowing the laws.

AgentSmithers

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby AgentSmithers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:29 pm

zot1 wrote:Being a lawyer isn't actually about knowing the laws.

Im interested in what follows after that statement.

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby zot1 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:37 pm

AgentSmithers wrote:
zot1 wrote:Being a lawyer isn't actually about knowing the laws.

Im interested in what follows after that statement.


Nothing.

User avatar
lymenheimer

Gold
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby lymenheimer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:04 pm

zot1 wrote:
AgentSmithers wrote:
zot1 wrote:Being a lawyer isn't actually about knowing the laws.

Im interested in what follows after that statement.


Nothing.

Well I wanna know what follows before that statement.

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Soon to be Law Student and Evidence code 1270, 1271 and 1280

Postby zot1 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:37 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
zot1 wrote:
AgentSmithers wrote:
zot1 wrote:Being a lawyer isn't actually about knowing the laws.

Im interested in what follows after that statement.


Nothing.

Well I wanna know what follows before that statement.


:roll:



Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests