How to find a job with no experience

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
john1990

Silver

How to find a job with no experience

Postby john1990 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:12 pm

I am looking for work as a 0L out of Umass Dartmouth who deferred in the legal field and craigslist has not yielded 1 interview. How can i find a job as a legal secretary without experience? I would be willing to accept an unpaid internship. Does anyone know of a good website? Could my school help me out with this?

crumb cake

Bronze

Re: How to find a job with no experience

Postby crumb cake » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:30 pm

Last edited by crumb cake on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:57 am

If you'd be willing to accept an unpaid internship I imagine cold emailing small law offices would do the trick. Ask if you can volunteer there.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:37 am

I don't think an unpaid internship would be beneficial in this case. You'd be getting taken advantage of. It would probably make more sense to contact different law offices. Craigslist for internships is a terrible idea. The businesses posting on craigslist are doing so because they don't want to pay any of the companies who could furnish a good legal secretary the next day. Instead, they invest $25 to post the ad. Do you really think this business is going to invest time and energy into developing and hiring you?

john1990

Silver

Postby john1990 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:28 pm

KMart wrote:If you'd be willing to accept an unpaid internship I imagine cold emailing small law offices would do the trick. Ask if you can volunteer there.

I checked online and it is rare to find an email address for many firms. Would cold calling be a bad idea?

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?