Really need some advice, please!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ncb

New

Really need some advice, please!

Postby ncb » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:58 am

I am currently working towards a Masters of Accounting degree with an emphasis in taxation, and I have already lined up a position with a prestigious Big4 accounting firm. My advice really comes into whether I should pursue a JD (would have to be part-time so that I can still work) and still work in public accounting or be a tax attorney. I really need to hear different viewpoints and whether or not it is more lucrative to have a law background in combination with my accounting background. Any opinions/information would be highly appreciated!

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Really need some advice, please!

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:02 am

Well, it seems like you left out some fairly fundamental information...

Do you want to be a tax attorney? Or do you want to be an accountant?

bacillusanthracis

New

Postby bacillusanthracis » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:46 pm

Why the hell would you want to go to law school if you already have such an awesome job lined up with the degree you just earned?

Just spend every waking hour at your new job, hope you get paid OT, and dream about all the debt you're not going into by not going to law school.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Postby Mr. Archer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:54 pm

You should probably work a year or so in accounting and then reevaluate. It sounds like the job you lined up could set up a much better career than law, or at least let you make good money for a few years before you take on law school debt.

HYPSM

Bronze

Postby HYPSM » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:16 am

It is far too early to make such a decision or to make such considerations. I would advise that you gain some experience with your current job and evaluate your options from there. If you feel unsatisfied with the pay and work, law school could be an option. If you have the time to study for the LSAT and obtain a high score, then a T-14 law school and a 180K salary may be within your grasp. That being said, I think it will be very difficult to realize your potential on the LSAT while you are working (but not impossible, of course).

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:42 pm

ncb wrote:I am currently working towards a Masters of Accounting degree with an emphasis in taxation, and I have already lined up a position with a prestigious Big4 accounting firm. My advice really comes into whether I should pursue a JD (would have to be part-time so that I can still work) and still work in public accounting or be a tax attorney. I really need to hear different viewpoints and whether or not it is more lucrative to have a law background in combination with my accounting background. Any opinions/information would be highly appreciated!

No. Law is awful.

You will make more money on your current track.

Keep in mind that you lose 3 years of income AND have to pay out $60k-$120k in tuition (depending on financial aid). So you are already ~$400k behind vs. not keeping on your current career track.

Getting a biglaw offer is also not easy. Making partner at a law firm is pretty dang hard. Also the lifestyle is horrific.

ALSO ALSO, you can be great and still get asked to leave after 8 years... because you are not making partner.

Meanwhile, you could become a finance executive (VP) in the F500 out of your big 4 accounting firm... and that is not a rare outcome. Your hours will be better, you will have more career options etc.

I have friends that have done both. Not much of a quandary unless you have somehow incorrectly convinced yourself that you want to be an attorney...

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?