Before you go to law school

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zot1

Gold

Before you go to law school

Postby zot1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:25 pm

Please peruse the Legal Employment over and over again.

Read about the many people who strike out despite awesome qualifications.

Read about those who made it but are depressed about their jobs.

Read about the people who think that they're special and none of these things will apply to them.

Don't be those people.

It's not that law is a bad thing, but it is when you get into a lot of debt for it. Why? Because it's a lot hard to either be unemployed (which many grads are) or to quit a high-paying but depressing job because you can't service your debt.

Going to court, watching your uncle, obsessing over SVU, or law school are not a great glimpse of what you can't expect in your legal career. The truth is that it is hard to know if you'll like being an attorney until you're actually doing it.

But if you do it and don't like it, the debt will tie you like a slave.

Yes, have hopes and dreams, but be realistic about them.

fiercegoldfish

New

Re: Before you go to law school

Postby fiercegoldfish » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:41 pm

Post Removed
Last edited by fiercegoldfish on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:50 pm

You missed the entire point--this isn't about the job market or expensiveness, it's about how that will affect your life if you end up not liking what you do.

But since you're so smart and know everything, I'm sure you will be fine.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:53 pm

Jeez, lighten up

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:56 pm

:roll:

fiercegoldfish

New

Postby fiercegoldfish » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:58 pm

Post Removed
Last edited by fiercegoldfish on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:59 pm

LOL you two deserve to go to law school. I hope you both end up at a V4.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:39 pm

zot1 wrote:LOL you two deserve to go to law school. I hope you both end up at a V4.

Yes, "educate yourself before you know what you're getting into" is basically what you're saying. I absolutely agree.

But you make it sound like the path is either T14 full ride with offers from Wachtell, or wander the earth like Gollum for the rest of your life and wait until you're mercifully taken to hell...jeez, there's plenty of space in between the two to find success and be happy.

I think we'll be fine doing what we have to do, rather than cower and mope thinking about failure.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:52 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
zot1 wrote:LOL you two deserve to go to law school. I hope you both end up at a V4.

Yes, "educate yourself before you know what you're getting into" is basically what you're saying. I absolutely agree.

But you make it sound like the path is either T14 full ride with offers from Wachtell, or wander the earth like Gollum for the rest of your life and wait until you're mercifully taken to hell...jeez, there's plenty of space in between the two to find success and be happy.

I think we'll be fine doing what we have to do, rather than cower and mope thinking about failure.

Far from true.

I didn't go to a top14 school, and I wasn't chasing the biglaw dream. Im actually against the top14 or bust crowd. I'm extremely happy with what I do. But I know so many people in the industry who are not in the same position. If maybe I can reach out to one person by posting this, then I think it's worth it to me.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?