Patent eligible with psychology undergrad?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CoGar

New

Patent eligible with psychology undergrad?

Postby CoGar » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:52 am

My research on this seems to be that I would not be eligible for the patent bar as psychology doesn't constitute STEM. My question is why? Its a Bachelor of Science degree from an applied field?

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Patent eligible with psychology undergrad?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:02 pm

CoGar wrote:My research on this seems to be that I would not be eligible for the patent bar as psychology doesn't constitute STEM. My question is why? Its a Bachelor of Science degree from an applied field?

Thanks

There are dozens of articles about why psychology, in general, is not a STEM discipline. They are about a five second Google search away.

As for patents specifically, you should just ask yourself: what do you imagine you'd be able to use a psychology degree for while working on patents? Can you think of any kind of invention that would require a psychology background, and not require any other sort of technical background (such as computer science, biology, or chemistry)?

Ask this for any other Bachelors of Science degree possible.

h2go

Bronze

Postby h2go » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:15 pm

CoGar wrote:My research on this seems to be that I would not be eligible for the patent bar as psychology doesn't constitute STEM. My question is why? Its a Bachelor of Science degree from an applied field?

Thanks

No one is filing patents in a psych related field.

bk1

Diamond

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:36 pm

Reminder: the legal employment forum is not for 0Ls. This thread has been moved to the appropriate forum.

redtalun

New

Postby redtalun » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:56 pm

patent eligibility isn't based on whether you got a BS or BA - you need a specific kind of degree: http://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/OED_GRB.pdf

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?