Worth it to buy a printer?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zarzamora

New

Worth it to buy a printer?

Postby zarzamora » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:14 pm

I just found out my school has a program where you can pay $60 a year and print 3000 pages (or $40 for 1500) at the law school. About how much do you guys print in a given year? If you don't have a printer at home, do you find it inconvenient to have to go to the law school to print? Do y'all think this program is worth it, or is it worth it to just by my own? Thanks!

ek5dn

Bronze

Re: Worth it to buy a printer?

Postby ek5dn » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:16 pm

zarzamora wrote:I just found out my school has a program where you can pay $60 a year and print 3000 pages (or $40 for 1500) at the law school. About how much do you guys print in a given year? If you don't have a printer at home, do you find it inconvenient to have to go to the law school to print? Do y'all think this program is worth it, or is it worth it to just by my own? Thanks!

You don't get a printing stipend? Weird...

Anyway, I don't think it's worth it. Even with a stipend, I got my own printer for convenience (ie, studying late at night at home, or finishing up a paper)

But maybe you're someone who's on campus a lot at the library and this makes sense for you

White Dwarf

Bronze

Postby White Dwarf » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:22 pm

I'd do both, honestly. $60 for 3000 pages isn't a bad deal, and if you scan and print textbooks at the library, you'll come out way ahead.

It's hard to predict how many you'll need. I've had professors post a couple hundred pages worth of additional materials that have to be printed, and some that don't post any. If you figure 600-800 pages of reading for the average class + outlines/review materials/etc., you'll probably exceed 3,000.

For home use, just wait for a basic $30 black-and-white one to pop up on Slickdeals. You don't need anything fancy.

zarzamora

New

Postby zarzamora » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:59 pm

Thanks for the advice! I'll probably try to find a cheapish one I can keep at home, just for the sake of convenience.

z0mbiecatz1234

New

Postby z0mbiecatz1234 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:18 am

I would take advantage of the school's printing. I used a lot of money on paper and ink with my printer, so I ended up printing at school whenever possible anyway. I bought 5 packs of 100 sheets each and after 1L year, I am left with one. I definitely printed a few hundred at school too. Printing from home is nice and convenient for when you want to print something shorter like a writing assignment. Printing from school is better for larger documents in my opinion.

heythatslife

Silver

Postby heythatslife » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:27 am

If you buy third-party toners and paper in bulk as opposed to 100-500 sheets at a time, home printing really isn't that expensive.

malleus discentium

Silver

Postby malleus discentium » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:43 am

zarzamora wrote:Thanks for the advice! I'll probably try to find a cheapish one I can keep at home, just for the sake of convenience.

I think you should buy a nice printer or none at all--it's worse to have an unreliable printer than to always have to trek to the law school to print things. You will probably get enough use out of it over three years to justify the cost.

zarzamora

New

Postby zarzamora » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:11 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
zarzamora wrote:Thanks for the advice! I'll probably try to find a cheapish one I can keep at home, just for the sake of convenience.

I think you should buy a nice printer or none at all--it's worse to have an unreliable printer than to always have to trek to the law school to print things. You will probably get enough use out of it over three years to justify the cost.

Ooh good point. Any specific ones or brands that y'all would recommend?

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:54 pm

zarzamora wrote:

I can't speak to the quality of their laser printers, specifically, but Brother has always been my go-to company for printing. It can be slightly harder to find the ink/toner, but I've never had one break down on me.

Startled Rabbit

New

Postby Startled Rabbit » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:17 pm

My Brother laser printer was one of my better law school decisions. Soooo much last minute scrambling prevented. So many "damn I have to go to the law school on a Saturday morning to print Monday's readings because I forgot to do it on Friday before I left" occurrences avoided. But, you might be more organized than I am.

zarzamora

New

Postby zarzamora » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:36 pm

Thanks guys! Brother printers seem pretty reliable. I'll definitely check those out!

Startled Rabbit

New

Postby Startled Rabbit » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:05 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
zarzamora wrote:

I can't speak to the quality of their laser printers, specifically, but Brother has always been my go-to company for printing. It can be slightly harder to find the ink/toner, but I've never had one break down on me.

Amazon always has my toner in stock.

browniestasty

Bronze

Postby browniestasty » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:41 am

I have a HP color laser.

Black&White came out to just over 3 cents a page but I found it incredibly convenient during 1L to be able to print. Sometimes it's as simple as being able to print a rough draft so I could proof read on paper. Other times it was printing a new outline a classmate just emailed.

The printer cost a bit over 200 and the pages are about a cent more than your plan (if you use it to max) but I would do it again for the convenience.

If your usage patterns are different, maybe the plan is better for you.

Startled Rabbit

New

Postby Startled Rabbit » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:51 pm

browniestasty wrote:I have a HP color laser.

Black&White came out to just over 3 cents a page but I found it incredibly convenient during 1L to be able to print. Sometimes it's as simple as being able to print a rough draft so I could proof read on paper. Other times it was printing a new outline a classmate just emailed.

The printer cost a bit over 200 and the pages are about a cent more than your plan (if you use it to max) but I would do it again for the convenience.

If your usage patterns are different, maybe the plan is better for you.

My Brother printer was around $100 and after three years, continues to work great.

stoopkid13

Bronze

Postby stoopkid13 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:07 pm

I bought my printer at a thrift shop for $20 and it works fine. Has scan/copy also which is great.

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:06 pm

I bought an HP X576DW, which was complete overkill, but God it's nice having an office level printer in the house. It was a $400 printer, but printing costs are under one cent per page and the thing spits out 70 ppm. It also does duplex printing and scanning. I figure I'll hold onto it for at least five years, and probably longer, so the cost isn't terrible long run. If you print in any volume at all at home, ink cartridges will eat the cost savings on a cheap printer in no time.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zarzamora

New

Postby zarzamora » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:33 pm

After hearing nothing but good things about brother, I think I've decided on this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L2340 ... op?ie=UTF8

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate?