Materials Before 1L Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ChrisGT

New

Materials Before 1L

Post by ChrisGT » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:48 am

What materials should I have before orientation? My main concern is whether or not I will be shunned for walking into class with a backpack instead of a briefcase.

barkschool

Silver

Re: Materials Before 1L

Post by barkschool » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:52 am

ChrisGT wrote:What materials should I have before orientation? My main concern is whether or not I will be shunned for walking into class with a backpack instead of a briefcase.
What materials do you bring to orientation? What the trying to say?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:54 am

Are people bringing briefcases to class?

And as far as I know, all you need to have before starting is a laptop and your books.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:03 am

Just bring a backpack... don't bring a briefcase
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:05 am

ChrisGT wrote:What materials should I have before orientation? My main concern is whether or not I will be shunned for walking into class with a backpack instead of a briefcase.
Everyone uses backpacks still. I can't think of a single person in my section who carried a briefcase to class. You'll need a briefcase/nice leather bag when you start interviewing, but not until then.

As far as other materials, here is a general list of supplies people use:
-highlighters (lots of them)
-pens/pencils
-laptop
-printer with extra ink/extra laser cartridge (inevitably you will run out when you need it and printing on campus is pricey normally)
-spirals/notepads if you have a prof who won't let you use a laptop, or if you prefer them
-stick-on tabs for tabbing books and outlines (not everyone uses these, only get if you are the kind of person who likes this sort of thing)
-a few three-ring binders for putting outlines and such in

But for orientation? You're good with something to write with and some kind of spiral/notepad. And for the first several weeks of class you really just need some way to take notes and a highlighter for reading. That's it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jfiaff

New

Post by jfiaff » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:06 am

ChrisGT wrote:My main concern is whether or not I will be shunned for walking into class with a backpack instead of a briefcase.
You're going to want a rolling backpack. In fact you will be shunned by your classmates if you have anything without wheels.

ChrisGT

New

Post by ChrisGT » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:08 am

emkay625 wrote:
Everyone uses backpacks still. I can't think of a single person in my section who carried a briefcase to class. You'll need a briefcase/nice leather bag when you start interviewing, but not until then.

As far as other materials, here is a general list of supplies people use:
-highlighters (lots of them)
-pens/pencils
-laptop
-printer with extra ink/extra laser cartridge (inevitably you will run out when you need it and printing on campus is pricey normally)
-spirals/notepads if you have a prof who won't let you use a laptop, or if you prefer them
-stick-on tabs for tabbing books and outlines (not everyone uses these, only get if you are the kind of person who likes this sort of thing)
-a few three-ring binders for putting outlines and such in

But for orientation? You're good with something to write with and some kind of spiral/notepad. And for the first several weeks of class you really just need some way to take notes and a highlighter for reading. That's it.
This is extremely helpful. Thank you, kind stranger.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”